Anne Rice
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Red Remmy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anne Rice

Ok. I'm new here and I'm very aware that this could be a repeat thread but oh well.
Anne Rice is probably my favorite author. She's great. I like her books because I love vampires and you can't find good Vamp books anymore that are more about vampires and less about romance. I'm a girl but I don't read romance. Also, she has painfully accurate history in her novels. I passed a test on Russia from one of her books alone. I pratically coleect her books and revel in them. I know she's very popular, two movies have been adapted from her works, but I don't meet many fans. Are we all inherently anti-social? Or am I the only forum junkie in the bunch? Let me know.
Also, I'm a bit of a self-proclaimed Anne Rice scholar. Not saying I know all, but I know most. So if you have any questions, something you don't understand, etc. then ask me. I'll see if I can help. THANKS!
Currently Reading: Memnoch, the Devil
Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:43 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I'm a huge Rice fan, but I dont talk about it much anymore. My favoriten is "The Vampire Lestat", and the screen version of "Interview With the Vampire" was the only movie Ive ever watched, rewound, and watched again. I loved it! I dig Anne alot, and was very appreciative even of the little speech she gives at the beginning of "Interview..".

And contrary to popular opinion, I liked the "Queen of the Damned" movie. Even tho I was somewhat disappointed initially by their choice of the late Aaliyah for the role of Akasha, in the end I think she did a very good job in the part. That hot tub scene is something else, got my blood boiling! I did not, however, like the lame performace of whoever played Lestat, I think he was terrible for the part, and his makeup was horrible as well. I dont even remember his name.

I think there's a few factors for not a whole lot of Rice fans coming out of the woodwork anymore like there used to be. For one, the content is just dated. It was a hit a long time ago, and well, so was Billy Idol. Secondly, I think there has been sort of a mainstreaming and subsequent ridicule of the whole goth thing that used to be spooky and punk, and now you got a bunch of 13 year olds whining about how pitch black their souls are and whatnot. There is sort of a backlash against what is now seen as whiny, trite gothic punk, and Anne and her works is a central figure of that whole subculture.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:09 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I have only read the first two Vampire novels(Interview & Lestat). They were really enjoyable. I was suprised at how good the Interview movie turned out!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:07 pm
Vempyre
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've read must of them, but my favorite is Memnoch the devil. I think it was just awesome to bring Lestat to year 33 when Jesus was crusified and the way she explains how satan was cast out of heaven, and, and... if you wanna know more, read the book
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:48 pm