View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
venividivici
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Help in finding a specific RPG.

Hello all.
Newbie here, knowing nothing about RPG's.
Just need some friendly advice.
Also...please pardon me if my simple request may be insulting to all you hardcore diehard RPGer's.

This is the best place for me to turn to.

I am more so a military type gamer but have always been desiring a certain type of RPG. I know it's got to be out there somewhere.
What I am looking for is something more so for a kid. Something with some great graphics but simple in gameplay. Think of the original hobbit movie (if you've ever seen it). Taking place in middle earth with all sorts of great terrain/environment. I just want to explore and explore and get lost in a mid earth fantasy. Characters that are more so on the cartoonish/fun side than the Final Fantasy side, but still keeping with realistic looking environment. Something like a simplified Zelda. I don't want to get all involved with learning intense FF type gameplay. I just want to explore, occassionally fight, do things, be pretty interactive in gameplay, but not like the typical complex RPG's out there.
I think you may know what I'm trying to describe.
I don't know....something like a fifth grader would get lost in.
Wish I had images to reference.

So..any recommendations for some games to look into would be much appreciated.

Thank You all for your time and help!

Take care.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:02 pm
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

There are no modern Middle-Earth Roleplaying Games around and the old ones were even back in the Days not good.

A very easy RPG - also you could argue if it is a RPG - is Diablo 1. You can't make anything wrong there ... but it is one big Dungeon-Crawl. Another easy one is (it pains me to write this): Dungeon Siege. It has stunning Graphics, a beautyful World to explore and the Gameplay of a Screensaver.

Other great Exploration-Games (but not so easy to get into) are Baldur's Gate 1, Icewind Dale 1+2, Gothic 1+2 and Neverwinter Nights with a Lot of downloadable Costum-Content (The Adventure in the Box is plain boring for me, but maybe a Newbie could like it).
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Hmmm ... I can't think of much of the top of my head. Most of it is hardcore RPG stuff.

May I suggest Neverwinter Nights and the expansions : Shadows of Udrentide / Hordes of the Underdark.

The graphics are cartoonish, but fun. It is based on D&D, but the rules, die throws etc are all undertaken by the computer ....and therefore invisible to your eyes. You just play. It's certainly not complicated to play. Just play the story . The game can be played as both single and multiplayer.

Better than this, if you like the game you can download player made modules or even make your own using the in-game editor.

Now, if you don't mind hybrid games ( mixing genres ) you may get some mileage from Spellforce. It has roleplay elements. The graphics are great ...and are definitely in the "Middle Earth" vein. The game does have strong RTS elements too. But it is fun ...and the RPG elements are fun without being complicated. The RTS side isn't as complex as games dedicated to that genre, so you don't get bogged down in it.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:56 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think Gothic 2 would be something you might be interested in. Lots of great exploring in that game.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:43 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, I was thinking Gothic and Gothic 2 have exactly the kind of gameworlds you seem to be looking for, but they are a bit fiddly on the controls front. But not too complex in terms of character development.

You might even want to check out Ultima 9, it has its faults but it's probably a decent game for RPG newcomers and does have a big and fairly interesting world to explore. Just make sure you get all the patches!

You might also enjoy Arx Fatalis, it has the "feel" of a first-person shooter (well, more "hacker" than "shooter"), but with strong RPG mechanics and versatile but simple charater creation/development. It does contain complex stuff, but most of that is optional (some obscure puzzles though - walkthrough on arx.rpgdot.com !), and while the gameworld is quite small and underground, it is varied and fun to explore, and the great artwork and ambient sounds make it very atmospheric. It also has a cool draw-on-the-screen method of spellcasting.

Have you played the Zelda games on N64 and/or Gamecube?
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:23 am
venividivici
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oh WOW! Thank you everyone for such a helpful response!
Now I have many choices.

I had posted the same question over at Gamespy and did not receive anywhere near the same help.
Your posts are very helpful!

Thank You!!
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:22 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Forget Diablo 2 and dungeon siege, there is nothing really to explore, it's more or less a given path you have to follow.

Gothic (2) has a free exploring world, but needs some skills with the mouse, and developing your character.
The same can be said about Ultima 9 and Arx, wizardry8, Might & Magic & Wizards & warriors, and Morrowind. All excellent games with free world exploration, but they are more or less CRPG heavy in gameplay, character development, and combat complexity.

Baldurs gate (2), neverwinter night, Icewinddale and other RTS inspired CRPG games of this kind lack the real free world exploration posibilty, and demands quite a good understanding of the D&D rules, to survive in those games too.

A little less CRPG heavy is Kings quest 8, with lots of exploring, and much more simple character development. A few fights now and then and still with some desent adventure game puzzles.

Divine Divinity has a free exploration world, and a fairly low complex CRPG part. If you managed to handle Diablo (2)'s interface, you will have no problems with Divine Divinity either.

Or maybe the new KoToR ,starwars game. Maybe not so good regarding free world exploration, but very simple interface, almost "no brainer" gameplay and a lot of nice ingame movies.
Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:33 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I´m not aware of any RPG which fulfils all your requirements. Maybe you should create ordered priority lists (have + avoid).

Spontaneously I would say Gothic 2 would be worth checking out. You can find a lot of infos in our review. But be warned, the Gothics have rather simple game mechanics but a tough learning curve.
Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:01 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

PC Action/RPG
Diablo1&2
Dungeon Siege

PC Turn-based
KOTOR - this game is SCI/FI Star Wars. It can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. Even beginners can tear through this game and enjoy it.

PC Non-turn based RPGs
Morrowind - Best exploration game ever made. Even though this game is really a hardcore RPG I recommend newbies checking it out because some people really dig this even with no RPG experience. It's a game with 1 million options but you can choose to just use like 10.
Arx Fatalis - very good exploration game. You only have to kill stuff about 40% of the time. Some of the puzzles are brutally hard and you will need to use a FAQ for this game.
Gothic1&2, clunky interface but really cool after you get the hang of it. 3rd person RPGs.

Console Action RPGs - Playstation & Xbox
Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 1&2(like diablo for consoles)
Champions of Norrath(also like diablo for consoles...random levels)
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:44 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

There is a new game out called Hobbit, it is cartoony. I have no idea if it is good or not or has exploration or any rpg qualities.

edit: you can try the demo here:

http://www.sierra.com/downloadfile.do?mediaid=8491

Fall Out 1 and 2 is kind of cartoony, funny, and really simple. Pick a pregenerated character and have fun. There is practicly no story line but a lot of exploration (done by map, not running). You can also be a pimp which is always a plus. That graphics are not really up to snuff though

If you are looking just to explore a wide open world with cartoonish, but really good graphics, and is simple to play and understand you might be looking for an MMORPG. Asharon's Call 2 fits your description to the T. You might be able to download it and try it for free.

I have to disagree with your thinking though, why not try and have a good time while also being challenged? The ability to figure out and exploit a system has real world applications that could possibly lead to world domination. Or at least that is what I'm banking on. But if that is true I like the wrong genre. RPGs are getting dumbed down, while military games (like Rainbow 6) are becoming tougher and more complex. Damn the Tyrrany of the Center.
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:17 am