genji
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Apologies
Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:01 am
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Yeah, I remember Illusion of Gaia; that was a fun game. If I remember correctly, it was touted as an unofficial sequel to my second favorite SNES game of all time, Soul Blazer, which itself was touted as an unofficial sequel to my favorite SNES game, Act Raiser.

Terranigma, unfortunately, never saw an official release in the U.S. I remember toying with the idea of importing it from Europe, but the cost of the game and the converter was around $100, which was way too expensive for me at the time. I realy wanted to play this one because it was the next game in the Act Raiser/Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia Series. Maybe I can still import it. I have a friend who has it on an emulator, but I hate to support anything approaching piracy.

By the way, anyone remember the huge disappointment that was Act Raiser 2? They eliminated all the RPG/City-Building aspects and left us with a pretty but poorly controlling action game.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:36 am
genji
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It never came out in the US? Wow, you guys really missed out. I live in Australia, and it was on sale here for a short time. I also oppose piracy, but when it comes to games that are impossible to buy anymore, I am not opposed to the use of emulators.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:25 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It was quite difficult to control the hero in Act Raiser II; the game was just a side-scrolling beat'em up (sort of) and far too difficult for my taste. The music was great, though.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:01 am
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

The music from the first Act Raiser is among my favorite game music of all time. I can still reconstruct the entire opening theme song in my mind. The first Act Raiser was the first game I played in which the music became a truly integral part of the gaming experience.

I can't remember the music from Act Raiser 2. The controls were so frustrating that I returned the game and got my money back (this was back in the good old days when EB had a 10-day return policy for opened games). I remember not being able to get my character to fly for more than 1 or 2 seconds in Act Raiser 2, and flying was an important part of the game. I don't think I'm very good at complicated flight schemes for console controllers. I never mastered the flying in Super Mario 64, although I definitely mastered flight in Super Mario World for the SNES.

Soul Blazer had great music. So did Final Fantasy III for the SNES (the game that was Final Fantasy VI in Japan--not sure what number it carried for you in Europe). The opera scene in Final Fantasy III was particularly memorable. Speaking of opening theme songs, the opening theme song that has been used for all the Final Fantasy games is also one of my favorites.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:25 pm
genji
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I will never, ever get tired of the music that plays when you win a battle in Final Fantasy. It's like a part of gaming history now.

dadadadaaa daaa daaa da dadaaaaaaa

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:07 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Unless you have money to burn and are very lucky, then the only chance you have to see old games like Terranigma in the US is to emulate it. A used copy of Terranigma can fetch anything upwards of a hundred dollars. You cannot buy any new copies, the developer and publisher make the same amount of money if you buy it second hand than if you just emulate it. ZERO dollars. It is in the same league as using a video/tape/whatever recorder to record off of the TV or radio, no one cares about it, even if is supposed to be illegal.

The only time people get upset with emulation is when you are doing with things like the XBOX or PS2, which does lose them money if you are using ROMs or pirate copies of discs. If you use genuine discs they don't lose out though, obviously.

Terranigma was a great game though, and I managed to get an original cart before the prices went mad. You are really missing out on it if you don't try it. That and the Secret of Mana series and Chronotrigger were some of the best games on that machine. Those old games were great. Shame no one likes that kind much any more.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:46 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

I think you forgot THE legent of rpg in consoles.ZELDA.
I have only experienced Zelda and Zelda 2 in NES.But I can say due to the graphics it was a nice game with lot of secrets.I never manage to finish zelda and never managed to play a little further than the beggining of Zelda II.There were too difficult.
BTW we could say that Zelda is a rpg right?
Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:07 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

I think most people consider Zelda to be more of an Action/Adventure hybrid than an RPG. I have always lumped Zelda in with RPGs myself, but I have a very broad definition of RPGs. Either way, I love the Zelda games and think they are among the best games in any genre and on any platform.

I can't wait for the new Zelda game that is coming to the Gamecube this year. Link and Hyrule look outstanding with the new graphics engine.

I recently picked up Zelda: The Minish Cap for the Gameboy Advance. It's another great Zelda game.
Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:31 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2