View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Kabduhl
Well frankly your opinion disqualifies you from being worth paying any attention at all to. You like to start flame war arguments. Yay for you! The vast majority of the gaming world accepts Gothic as an RPG, you don't.

How is a duscussion a flame war? Has anyone flamed anyone yet besides you? Everyone has been civil and actually discussed the topic besides you.

I think you're a cock. The vast majority of the gaming world accepts that you should be stabbed repeatedly in the face and ass-raped with a Gothic CD, you don't. Yay for you!

Why would you jump in a good discussion just to insult someone? You have no manners or civility.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:03 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Stop the fighting, everybody. This IS a place for discussions, not for infighting. And your choice of words was very unlucky, Roqua.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:08 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful,
threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any
applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently
banned"

I clearly see why I got a warning. Since his post was definitley abusive to me does he aslo get one?
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:30 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

He got one when I saw his post. Now, can we move on?
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:02 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes. And I appologize for my post. I made it when I was angry and it was dumb of me. I definitly deserved what I got.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:49 pm
Necrosis
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Getting back on topic.... I support Roqua's original remarks that began this topic. To me, role-playing allows you to be the strong, brave warrior you are not in real life, wield mighty magics that don't exist in real life, and move quickly and stealthily in contrast to the klutz you are in real life. If the actions of the character I am role-playing depend on my own clumsy abilities with a keyboard and mouse, then I am limited by my real life abilities, which seems to defeat the purpose of role-playing, which is to allow you to be someone you are not. Of course, you are making all the decisions for your character as you role-play, which means your character is limited by your own intellectual capabilities, which may be a topic for another discussion....
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:05 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Necrosis
Getting back on topic.... I support Roqua's original remarks that began this topic. To me, role-playing allows you to be the strong, brave warrior you are not in real life, wield mighty magics that don't exist in real life, and move quickly and stealthily in contrast to the klutz you are in real life. If the actions of the character I am role-playing depend on my own clumsy abilities with a keyboard and mouse, then I am limited by my real life abilities, which seems to defeat the purpose of role-playing, which is to allow you to be someone you are not. Of course, you are making all the decisions for your character as you role-play, which means your character is limited by your own intellectual capabilities, which may be a topic for another discussion....

Games are meant to challenge your physical and/or mental skills. Gothic challenges both, but I don't see why that disqualifies it as an RPG. Also, Gothic hardly requires the reflexes and accuracy of an FPS, so I don't know why this is such a big deal. Video games are not for invalids and imbeciles and we shouldn't classify a game based on a certain group's inability to play it well.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:52 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

#1 roqua --- it wasn't abusive to you, are you that sensitive? I just said your opinion disqualifies you from being worth paying any attention to. Same exact thing as sayin I think I need to ignore you as I don't vaule your opinion. How on earth is that abusive???

Second ---> Val when you email me, Do so with a vaild email address that I can respond. My email contains my true name, not some internet disguise, so at the very least when you speak to me, since I am a human being, you better make sure I am able to email you back. Sending an email from an address I cannot repsond to is not only disrespectful, but it's sneaky.

Also Myrthos repsonding to me with smart allick comments is not very becoming of a an administrator of a website. I fully don't expect you to have the honor to leave thsi post here, but when I said I would report you for spamming and harrassing me via email, I said I would only do that if you continued to send me email I couldn't respond to, namey Val's email address. This is perfectly within my rights and for you to get all touchy about my statement only show that you are indeed aware of this fact but you are just too young to be a man about it.

Bottom line is: If you send me email, I better be able to reply to it, period.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:07 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Jung
quote:
Originally posted by Necrosis

Games are meant to challenge your physical and/or mental skills. Gothic challenges both, but I don't see why that disqualifies it as an RPG. Also, Gothic hardly requires the reflexes and accuracy of an FPS, so I don't know why this is such a big deal. Video games are not for invalids and imbeciles and we shouldn't classify a game based on a certain group's inability to play it well.

I've also wondered what constitutes a good mental challenge. Such as do puzzles have a place in RPGs or are they in the realm of adventure games? A lot of Black Isle's RPGs had puzzles in abundance, and I think Wizardry 8 had a few, IIRC. Other ones like Fallout or Fallout 2 didn't do much with puzzles. Or does the intellectual challenge lie in tactics in combat or figuring out the story?
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:31 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Namirrha

I've also wondered what constitutes a good mental challenge. Such as do puzzles have a place in RPGs or are they in the realm of adventure games? A lot of Black Isle's RPGs had puzzles in abundance, and I think Wizardry 8 had a few, IIRC. Other ones like Fallout or Fallout 2 didn't do much with puzzles. Or does the intellectual challenge lie in tactics in combat or figuring out the story?

Arx Fatalis had some hard ones, if I recall. Gothic, not so difficult. Morrowind was frustrating because it lacked any that I could find, but had all the ingredients for a puzzle lying around like artifacts, wierd machines and multilevel dungeons, but the designers didn't have time to impliment them. I Think a moderate level of puzzles is okay, as long as they aren't jumping puzzles. It balances gameplay and challenges you mentally.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:45 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Second ---> Val when you email me, Do so with a vaild email address that I can respond. My email contains my true name, not some internet disguise, so at the very least when you speak to me, since I am a human being, you better make sure I am able to email you back. Sending an email from an address I cannot repsond to is not only disrespectful, but it's sneaky.

I did not e-mail you. However, I did give you a warning. When you recieve a warning, the forum software automatically generates an e-mail notifying you of the warning and telling you who gave that warning. The e-mail is not meant to be replied to, because the decision is final. Don't go blaming me for what you feel is an inadequacy in the phpBB forum software. I suppose we could disable the feature completely and not bother to notify you when you recieve a warning. Would you like that better?
You came onto this thread looking for a fight. That is why you recieved a warning.

Now quit whining.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:26 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Jung

There's QUITE a differance between making something challenging and making something overly complex.

It's primarily a mental skill to role-play, not a physical one. Thus your mentality SHOULD have a larger impact than your physical traits, which basically should have no impact. An FPS is different, THERE physical traits are important, as it is a competetive game (good reflexes and such).

Anyhow, how do puzzles balance gameplay? Why are puzzles intellectually challenging? We have dialogues, combat and figuring out quests for that; parts of actually PLAYING A ROLE in a CRPG.

Last edited by Hexy on Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:26 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

quote:
Also Myrthos repsonding to me with smart allick comments is not very becoming of a an administrator of a website. I fully don't expect you to have the honor to leave thsi post here, but when I said I would report you for spamming and harrassing me via email, I said I would only do that if you continued to send me email I couldn't respond to, namey Val's email address. This is perfectly within my rights and for you to get all touchy about my statement only show that you are indeed aware of this fact but you are just too young to be a man about it.

Bottom line is: If you send me email, I better be able to reply to it, period.

*sigh* the e-mail is send out automatically and it had one space missing. It didn't need a rocket scientist to figure it out. That was about my reply. The alternative would have been that you said that there was an error in the return address in there. Yet you accused us/me of doing this on purpose.

I'm sure somehow you feel that addressing others via e-mail in the manner you do is common behaviour. If you don't respond in a normal manner than why should I?
I'm also sure that you feel you are the victim here and I'm all evil. I don't mind, I'm ok with that idea.
As to me being to young. It's been a while that somebody said this to me
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla

Last edited by Myrthos on Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:49 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

PLEASE everybody.

Everything NOT related to this topics headline please use the PM from now on. This has been a very interesting discussion so far and 99% of it in a excited but rule keeping tone, lets keep it so.

The warnings made seems fair, so accept them and move on with a proper discussion, otherwise I will delete the necessary posts including this one to bring this topic back on track.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:29 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy

There's QUITE a differance between making something challenging and making something overly complex.

True, but this is a different topic.

quote:
It's primarily a mental skill to role-play, not a physical one. Thus your mentality SHOULD have a larger impact than your physical traits, which basically should have no impact. An FPS is different, THERE physical traits are important, as it is a competetive game (good reflexes and such).

You are contradicting yourself a bit here. You are saying there should be a ratio of physical and mental skills for an RPG with mental playing a larger role. I would agree with this, and I don't think Gothic violates this rule. I found the physical requirements for combat in Gothic to be minimal. Initially it took some getting use to, but later it became second nature. Then, you say that physical skills should have no impact, which I do not agree with.

As for FPS, if you've ever ventured on-line to play, you know that you have to be extremely skilled in order to avoid having your ass handed to you every few seconds. My point is that Gothic's combat requires nothing even close to this level of skill, and requires some strategy to defeat more than one enemy.

quote:

Anyhow, how do puzzles balance gameplay? Why are puzzles intellectually challenging? We have dialogues, combat and figuring out quests for that; parts of actually PLAYING A ROLE in a CRPG.

Are you arguing against puzzles too? The reason puzzes balance gameplay is that it gives you something to do besides combat. If the puzzles are difficult, then they challenge you mentally to solve them. Many are busy-work, however.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:15 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next