RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic too easy

Full game spoiler warning

Hi guys,

I just finished Gothic for the third time as a Fire Mage/Water Mage class with Warrior attributes. The idea is that thirty skill points go into one-handed swords; then with a Battle Sword, which you can nab quite early on, and a simple strength ring the early game's gonna be a breeze-- the rest of your skill points all go into magic levels and mana (I took 10 off for acrobatics) so the middle and endgame is magic-oriented, up to the point where one gets Uriziel.

I went out of my way this time not to use teleportation or ressurection in marvin mode, not to abuse the strafe falling glitch, and not to take advantage of any of the game's money loopholes. Nevertheless, by the time I stabbed the 5th heart stone, I had:

-50,000+ free ore
-A vast array of miscellanious items and weapons
-Every rune and stacks of 20 or more spell scrolls that I never used
-80 skill points I simply forgot to spend.

The game is just too damn easy for me now that I know it well. Hell, the above look at my inventory is before I warped back to the New Camp and Sect Camp and beat up the powerful individuals there for kicks [they got over it ]. If I had really been trying to powergame I would have been far more powerful. I didn't even kill all the woodland creatures, learn the hunting skills early or collect all the forest plants to sell. It just became a piece of cake during the midgame. Around the point I got Storm of Fire, the only challenges I encountered often were orcs and snappers. The experience and items I got during the quests in Chapter 3 buffed me up so much that I didn't have a seriously tough time again (with the sole exception of the first orc temple guards you meet) until I met the Fanatic Templars. During this time I used Summon Golem & Demon scrolls once or twice and a few Transform to Shadowbeasts-- that was fun, but it was also done for fun; I never felt it was neccesary to resort to using my collection of magical items.

Apart from the Templars mentioned above, the Sleeper's temple was a walk in the park. Once I found Uriziel and thus got the Improved Ore Armor, I was simply invincible. If I had been pressed in the least bit I could have used complex strategies involving waves of ice, storms of fire, summoned creatures, transformations, 'breath of death's and melee combat during the last big battle with Cor Kalom. As it was I simply strolled down there and hacked them apart one by one with Uriziel (I wasn't even proficient with two handed swords ).

Now I'm not that great a gamer, so I know this can't just be me. I don't dislike Gothic, I still think it's one of the best games I've ever played, and anything that can provide, according to my final savegame, 16:25 hours of play on the third round through, most of them very fun hours, deserves a hefty pat on the back.

I've got a plethora of ideas for how to balance the game out better, but I have no experience with the mod kit, not to mention that I don't even know if they're possible. So my question is, has anyone made tools to make Gothic a more difficult game for more experienced gamers?
Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:41 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I don't want to burst your bubble, but we have ALL done those things.

Since you like Gothic, try the diggers quest.....search the forums for the rules. Then try a NO SAVE game, then a NO SAVE mage only game

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:18 am
CIACinderella
Village Leader
Village Leader

It's true that you're ridiculously powerful at the end of the game - but I think it's ridiculously fun.
Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:40 am
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
I don't want to burst your bubble, but we have ALL done those things.

I know-- that's rather the point , I'm not a great gamer.

I'll search for those 'challenge games' you mentioned. Cheers!

quote:
It's true that you're ridiculously powerful at the end of the game - but I think it's ridiculously fun.

I can't disagree with that!

It's funny how all the diggers in the Old Camp run away from you after the final battle with Gomez, even if you're just trying to talk to them
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:21 am
CassRo
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
Since you like Gothic, try the diggers quest.....search the forums for the rules. Then try a NO SAVE game, then a NO SAVE mage only game

The no-save game is easy. I did not try it but I never died the 3rd time I played Gothic. The no-save mage version (TM) is even easier!

The digger's quest has to be hard as hell! One blow at the after Ch2 and you meet ground feat. Beliar

You read this text AGAIN?! ARGHH! Stop reading! Now! You're still reading this, aren't you. *sigh* Sure, read, I doesn't bother me. Really! Read on, dude. Cool. READ. Ok, enough! Stop! ... I hate you ... If you don't stop I'll replay Manhunt and I'll show you what I can do with a toothpick!!!11 Save the Whales!!!!!!111oneoneone
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:33 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

The no save mage only game was the toughest I have pulled off. Once you become a mage, no more weapons for fighting.....magic only. Until you get some strong spells and tons of mana, you will run away to heal ALOT. Entering the freemine, and a couple areas in the sleeper's temple are extremely tough.

Someone here was trying a kickboxer game, but I don't know if they ever made it through the game. No weapons, no armor, no magic....kickboxing ONLY

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:58 am
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Has anyone ever done a pacifist challenge, IE killing only the absolutely required beasts and enemies in the game ?
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:00 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Pacifists challenge sounds VERY hard to me, as far as I know only the 5 undead orcs MUST be killed, and some quest related monsers such as trolls and the zombie guardian. A cheesy way to be a pacifist is having your companion (Gorn when you meet him at the monastery) walk through the whole colony and kill everything I'm not sure if he follows you everywhere though, in fact I never tried.
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:47 pm
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

No, you sorta have to work around their own pathfinding, and take into account that they will teleport back to their current destination as soon as you leave their proximity. I've just started a pacifist game, I'm up to level 3 through experience gained by comrades killing creatures; haven't finished any quests yet (except for Mordrag leading me to the New Camp).

It's very interesting finding ways to get around directly killing things. Along using using companions, they can be lured off cliffs, into water (where some beasts drown) or (I know it works from prior experience) lava, lured to people who will fight them, brought in the way of bolts/arrows/spells of attacking NPCs... the possibilites are endless .

I imagine gaining decent equipment won't be a problem-- even though I'm not planning on using any of the cash loopholes, or the set locks exploit-- along with the plentiful amounts of valuable items around to grab, luring dangerous creatures into heavily populated areas can garner vast amounts of items from the casualties' inventory.

The rule of pacifism I'm using is simply do not attack. I can draw my weapon to piss people off, and use it to block, but I can't swipe, even in self defense. Same goes for combat spells and ranged weapons. So what do you think-- would it be too easy if I used summoning spells/items ?
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:22 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

digger's quest was a lot of fun, I recommend trying it. I am going to try a no-save mage soon. I was doing a kick-boxer quest and posted a bit about it. It was really a blast. Not too difficult until you meet ocrs (ahhhh). I put the mission on hiatus so my friend could experience the game. I get it back soon though so I am happy.

Has anyone done alternative quests for g2 +notr (digger, monk, nosave etc.)?
later, rordog
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:30 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Shadow, I don't think I would lure creatures for others to kill. A) You won't get the experience, which could be used to raise health... and B) quite often the people will attack you like you are also a creature. Of course they won't attack if they are "with" you, like Gorn at the monastery, or "hunting with Dusty", which is a favorite.

This game sounds extremely difficult to go past a certain point, and impossible to complete. You will surely be screwed if you ever make it to the sleeper's temple. An alternative might be to allow summon scroll and no cheats. I think it might be possible to complete if you save up all the summon scrolls to use in the temple. I might have to give it a try

@ror, I wondered how your kickboxer game came out. Keep us posted.

Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:22 pm