Early Game with 'Challenged' characters
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Vampire

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Early Game with 'Challenged' characters

Well, I got the game yesterday and immediately made my favorite clan (Nosferatu).

I didn't stick with him long, at first, because it just seemed like such a bother.

Next I made a malkavian because I like stealth assassin characters and the idea of using Berserk on passing cops in the street put a smile on my evil face. Well... I don't know how it goes later on but even right away (first area) I had to guess sometimes what they were saying in dialogue . Definately fun ... but I couldn't help feeling I was missing out on some good 'normal' dialogue.

I made a Gangrel and stuck with him until I was done the Oceanview hotel (and most other quests in the area). Still felt I was missing out on dialogue but spending all my experience accumulated on research and charisma is beginning to help that. Hooray for 'normal' characters.

As a lark before going to bed I loaded up my Nosferatu and headed into the streets... expecting to be forced into the sewers and meet a Nosferatu who set me on alternative beginning to the entry level quests. Imagine my surprise when I was able to walk down the middle of the street without even stealth on (let alone obfuscate) ... and anyone I've been able to 'talk' to so far either a) points out I'm a freak and continues as per other characters or b) points out I'm a freak and wants to be left alone. People only seem to panic and run if they're non-interactive and I get REALLY close. It took a killing spree to get my first masquarade violation... and I couldn't get my humanity below 3 no matter how many people I ran up to and spin-kicked.

So... two questions:

1. How good is the overall dialogue when compared to the very well written Malkavian dialogue?

2. Does it ever get challenging for the Nosferatu? (Aside from the "I'm not a Gangrel or a Ventrue thefore don't have Fortitude" combat penalty). Sure I wouldn't be thrilled if you got 5 violations and killed in the first 20 minutes of wandering around ... but having to slip from shadow to shadow and obfuscate through brightly lit areas with a lot of people and alternate starts to quests would have been nice.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:25 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The Malkavian dialogue is a treat, but the normal dialogue is pretty good. I'd recommend playing a 'normal' clan first, then tackle the Malkavian. It really helped me understand what my Malk was saying when I completed the game with normal dialogue. It's sort of a, do you want your dinner or desert first, situation.

I was a bit disappointed that the Nosi was so easily accepted. But, hey, it's southern California not Normalville, KS. So I guess it can be more easily explained away.
Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:23 pm