XP bug found
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

XP bug found

I restarted my current game because I found out that the thief is the hardest to play. So I started ripping off everyone in Arx. When I went after Pog, I stole the idol from him. Just for kicks, I gave it back to him. I then saw the cut scene and received the XP for the idol quest. You can just do it over and over and over.
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:21 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Be careful..

[url=http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13219&highlight=idol]
Last time I did it, it bugged my main quest.[/url]
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:39 pm
NSNightStalker
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

More easy XP and items

Sorry if this has been posted before.

I can't remember what level I was (it was my first time on map level 1), but I know I was not strong enough to face Ratmen or the Worm. Still, I wanted to solve the treasure hunt, but I did not want to go through all the steps (and face Ratmen and the Worm so early) so I tried the last step which was to dig near a ladder on level 3. To my surprise I was able to get the key and open the chest without having to find all the other notes!!! I wonder if you are able to skip steps in all the other quests. I have not tried it yet though.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:24 am
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Bugged out game

I found out that you can't talk to the King anymore if you do it after you get your reward for clearing the path. I wonder if you can do it before getting the reward and not have a useless game?
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:55 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Re: Bugged out game

quote:
Originally posted by Achromatic Luminary
I wonder if you can do it before getting the reward and not have a useless game?

Great idea!!! I think it should work Gonna try it myself soon..
BTW, can you try the idol trick at the very end of the game to easily get level 10? On the note relevant to NSNightStalker's post, one still should be able to face Akbaa if all the nesessary items were in place before exploring this bug, shouldn't one?
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:56 am
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Level 10

I'm sure you could, but easy is a relative term here. Do you know how many times you'll have to pull the idol trick to get to level 10? It's only 2500 XP per idol return and you need 178000 to make level 10. Taking into account that you're about level 3 when you first return the idol, that makes about 68 time you have to return the idol to Pog...
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:34 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

You took the worst case scenario..

I believe that most people finish the game at level 9. This thick could be used to gain level 10 w/o searching all 8 levels for re-spawned monsters. This is 68000 XP at max (touph, but doable).
BTW, this exploit works not only with the king and idol (any FEDEX type quest?), and there are quests with higher XP reward.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:01 pm
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

FedEx

I tried it with the book to Pog and the Book to the cook. Both a big whopping no-go. I used the idol trick to get from level 4 to level 7. Oh, by the way, it's not 68 times, you only get 500 for the idol. I though you got the 2500 for clearing the path. It's more like 164 times. After about 50, that was enough! The only other one I'm going to try is the book to Grue. If you try it before I do, put the necklace back in his inventory or it might hang when he trys to give it to you. The King of Arx hung after the his reward for clearing the path for a second time because the captain didn't run in about the rituals. Just a thought.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:44 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Re: FedEx

quote:
I tried it with the book to Pog and the Book to the cook. Both a big whopping no-go. The only other one I'm going to try is the book to Grue.

There is at least one more quest, where this bug shows up: Alia and the shield of Ancients. After completing this quest I would steal it again and bring it to her. As the result, the cutscene and XP, but at that time I desided not to exploit it as I had painfull experience with the Pog and the idol.. I hope the thing would work in Greu's quest..
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:04 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Spoiler

This is a further developement on the idol bug, which improves on the time needed to steal the idol from Pog (as result, I just made from level 2 to level 9). If done next after the original "clearing pass" quest, this exploit should not do any harm to your main quest, however it may spoil the game for you! Try at your own risk.

[spoiler]
Make sure your inventory and that of Pog remains open all the time. Then you only need to:
a) double-click on the idol and then click on Pog, which will lead to a cutscene and 500XP for you. Do NOT close the inventories.
c) skip the cutscene.
d) go to a)
You can do this exercise as fast as you can mouse-click!
[/spoiler]
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:54 pm
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Merz
quote:
I tried it with the book to Pog and the Book to the cook. Both a big whopping no-go. The only other one I'm going to try is the book to Grue.

There is at least one more quest, where this bug shows up: Alia and the shield of Ancients. After completing this quest I would steal it again and bring it to her. As the result, the cutscene and XP, but at that time I desided not to exploit it as I had painfull experience with the Pog and the idol.. I hope the thing would work in Greu's quest..

Is it safe to just steal the shield and keep it? I went back to the chest and took it, and no one seemed to care at all, so is it really stealing as far as the game logic goes?
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:29 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Rebooter
Is it safe to just steal the shield and keep it?

One exploits this bug whenever s/he triggers success events of already finished quests. Then a previously given cutscene/reward is given again to the player (a sort of 'deja vu'). As long as you don't do anything like this, you should be safe. So stealing and keeping the shield wont do harm.

quote:
Originally posted by Rebooter
I went back to the chest and took it, and no one seemed to care at all, so is it really stealing as far as the game logic goes?
I think that after you returned the sheild to Alia (for the 1st time), rebels do not quard the shield from you anymore and you can take/steal/borrow easily.

BTW, do not worry too much about screwing your main quest. This is a rare bug was only confirmed to happen with the idol and shield quests. Feel free to explore and steal w/o worries. Even is you screw something, then the deja vu effect should warn you immidiately about this.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:24 am
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Grue update

The trial run w/ Grue and the picture book failed. His inventory doesn't show the book anywhere. I even left the level and returned. My stealth is currently at 109 and object knowledge is 76. He just doesn't seem to have the book in his inventory. On a lighter note, the idol trick worked fine without hosing the quests. I went from level 4 to level 7 and all the quests so far are working correctly. I'm about to go for the shield quest to see what kind of abuse there is to offer there. The idol trick works correctly by exploiting it before you talk to the King of Arx and get your reward. If you try it after word, well... Let us just hope you have a save game you could go back to.
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:55 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Bad feeling..

Well, i think that the problem with the shield quest exploit is the distance between Alia and the chest where the shiled ends up..
Post Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:17 pm
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Distance.

True, but if you have permission to go in there, it's not so bad. You get more XP and don't have to worry about getting caught lifting the shield. At least the first time. I don't know if you have to lift it from her or go and get it from the chest again.
Post Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next