Earth and Beyond
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Earth and Beyond

Now that Earth and Beyond went gold, has anyone tried it yet? I didn't see anyone comment much on this game, although it does hold some promise. Gaining XP for exploring is kind of appealing to me. But I haven't heard much from anyone yet. Are there opinions out there?
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:20 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm so glad I got a chance to try this game before it came out. I had so much hope for this game but IMO, it's nothing more than a huge camp fest in space. One time, I was hunting trying to increase my Explorer's fighter level and people were KS'ing me all over the place.

I had alot more fun playing Darkspace during their free week a few months back, and actually would have got a subscription if I wouldn't of frelled up and ruined my rank (I guess selling everything on your ship right before the end of a scenerio is bad:D). Right now I'm crossing my fingers everytime I open my inbox hoping to see an invitation for Eve's beta test.

(This next part may not still be true as I haven't played the game in a few weeks)
One thing I didn't like about their experience system, if say your level 20, broken up into 12 explorer, 4 fighter, 4 commerce (or whatever the actual names are I forget) you don't get experience from fighting level 5 MOBs as you should, IMO.
The experience you gain is based on your total level, not the seperate levels.

I read a few posts on the Beta forums where people had level 80 some Explorers and had an impossible time leveling up because their fighter level was only 15 or so.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:43 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Thanks for the feedback Provis. Actually I went ona hunt for some feedback on the web and it seems very hard to find. Some previews out there, but no real good (and neutral) BETA report. What you're reporting is interesting. Maybe I'll wait a while then, see how the first few months go
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:27 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I also played the beta.

I truly enjoyed it for the first few days. I had a nice lvl 50ish (out of 150) Jenquai Explorer and was having fun floating around mining asteroids. Things got more crowded, but then I just found more secluded mining spots.

Then they added a feature that made it completely not fun. They made asteroids have a 'small' (1 in 5) chance of turning into monsters when you started mining them. I was pretty much a non-combat class, so I didn't have very good protection against stuff, let alone level 150 monsters spawning and killing me in one hit before I could even move. This made mining impossible, and since combat was not a strong point of my class by default, I just stopped playing the game. it was no longer fun for me.

There are definately some good things to this game, and some innovative ideas that helped make it fun to begin with, they just decided changing the gameplay to make it nigh impossible for an entire class was necessary, and made the game no fun for me.

-vaticide
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:24 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I forgot about that little "feature" The asteroid also had a chance of exploding and granting your ship temporary bonuses. But really, if you're an explorer out mining a field, why in the world would you need a bonus to your warp engines??

What's even worse about the monstroids is that they might go up in level but I know I was about lvl 20 total and had some 80 MOB pop up when I was mining. What on earth were they smoking when they thought that feature up.

The "monstroids" (hehe you heard it here first folks, or at least I never seen that term used before:)) could make for some interesting grouping requests.

"Lvl 100 JE Looking to group with TW/JW/PW of same lvl"
Bob the destroyer tells you "Where we going to hunt"
You tell Bob the destroyer "We're not going to hunt, I need you to protect me from the monstroids"
Bob the destroyer tells you "ROTFLMAO, 14mr3"

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:24 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Yeah, I tried getting people to hang out but what happens is nobody wants to sit and wait for something to spawn, and when it finally does it takes you out first with one shot, then maybe they can kill it, but you are the one with jumpstart so you are out of luck.

I enjoyed mining before the 'monsteroids' (good name, I think I'll borrow that) it was fun avoiding the usual high level creatures wandering the area, but it was posible. That along with the accomplishment of being able to mine more and more higher level ore at a time was great. Steady, visible improvements. "Cool, I can mine level VII ore now! Now I can make MONEY!" A rare gift from game designers.

The combat aspect of the game stayed fairly untouched, but it seemed mostly like target, press attack, watch target die. There is nothing to the 3rd dimension, in reality the game is pretty much a plane in space, you can go up or down, but not very far and there really isn't much there. So combat is uninteresting because you get no bonus for attacking people from above, etc.

I've heard the trade aspect of the game is fun, I didn't dabble in creating items, but I've enjoyed doing that before in games so I imagine it would be fun in this one as well. The only thing is players can't make items that will let people further customize the apperance of their ship or person.

I would say it started fun, got a lot less fun. Even when it was fun though, I was not convinced to buy the game.

Too bad I didn't know you were in the beta Provis, maybe the two of us together could have taken out those mobs that were 4 times our cumulative level!

-vaticide
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:27 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm, maybe I should copywrite the word "monsteroid"

Before and when I first got into the beta I was 100% sure I was going to buy the game, then I logged on, created my ship/character, and started the training missions.

When I finished all that and found the haywire spawn spot was being camped by aboout 15 other ships, none of whom were being civil about it, I was 80% sure I was gonna buy this game. I just figured it was because there were alot of newbies (like myself) that just got into the beta (like myself) that were just trying to finish the first few quests (like myself ).

Then I started just flying everywhere exploring so I could get my Wormhole. Then when I activated the wormhole and found that it simply disovled my ship I was 60% sure. I was really expecting something better, sorry if it's shallow but this game is supposed to have good graphics is it not?

Then when I was hunting trying to increase my fighter level after reading some posts on the msg board and was constantly having things KSed, I was 40% sure I was getting the game.

When I came out of a space station and found my ship occuping the same space as 30 other ships, I was 30% sure I was getting the game. Sorry but that is just stupid. I know how hard it would be to make it so that ships colide (ugg that doesn't seem spelled right but I don't care ) but it just looks so horrible when they don't. Darkspace had this done right, sure there's no pitch but as vaticide said, right now there is no advantage in battle for being above, below, to the side, etc of your opponent.

Then when I was mining for fun and a monsteroid poped up and killed me in one shot, I was 100% sure I was NOT getting this POS game. What the frell is the point of having an Explorer class if they really need ot be a jack of all trades to be able to do anything in the game!!!

I had a few other gripes about the game but I can't seem to remember what they were.

I just got into the beta about a month or so ago, and only really played it for about a week.

Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:09 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've been playing the beta with a Progen warrior, and so far it's been nice. I can feel your pain when playing an explorer (called "exploders" among the warriors ) It's way easier for a warrior to get exploration exp than an explorer get combat exp...

Hunting can be a bitch when people are camping, but grouping up with other Progen warriors will allow you to travel to hunting grounds so dangerous that people seldom camp there, atleast without a large and experienced group. Also, being able to go to Maelstrom also helps, since it's filled with monsters and KSing is minimal, since everyone has an abundance of targets.

I'm seriously thinking about buying this game, since I've had fun in it. I'm just waiting for the conflicts to start so our militant progen-guild get to lay some serious damage on those spineless Jenquai Maybe blast a few aliens too, just to show them not to open any more dimension holes around our backyard...

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:34 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I played it wayyy back about three months ago because I got the cd in the mail. I did not like it at all because the controls were so screwy. And the graphics arent all that great. So thats all the xp i have about this game. Like 15 minutes or so. AC2 is much better, and I hope EVE doesnt turn out to have screwy controls either. Did anyone back then (3+ months ago) play and did you think the controls (the keyboard and mouse combo) were annoying? They might have changed them by now, i dunno. But anyway, i have heard very little about this game also.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:11 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I haven't played the game, but I do have an opinion of it. Their (Westwood's) agressive marketing campaign tells me that they know something's wrong. I've never seen a software company try and get money from people, this hard, for an MMOG. All these "preorder and you can get into beta and be 'special' in final release" adds are really starting to annoy me. Namely, they want people to buy a product while there is still no product, or while they can claim that "product" will be better than what it is now, while in fact you're subsidizing their development at your cost.
Post Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:46 pm