Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is it my graphics card or my CPU that's the problem?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Ubbax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Phil5000
I've just done a clean install and haven't been online or I would normally scan with AD-Avare and Spybot. No virus protection, auto update and windows firewall disabled, screen saver disabled. There are a lot of processes running but how do you know which ones are safe to turn off?

I've seen this question asked several times on various boards. Here's a quick and easy way, demonstrated by Microsoft, to do this for those without a lot of knowledge about the various Sevices and Processes found running in Task Manager.
It frees up memory puts a bit of zip into slower systems and you won't have to resort to quess work or searching the web

Clipped from the following page: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gmsvideo

quote:

How to Perform a Clean Boot to Prevent Background Programs from Interfering with Play:

When you start Microsoft Windows with an ordinary startup, several programs start automatically and run in the background. These programs, which may include antivirus and system utility programs, may interfere with the game program and cause it to stop responding (hang), quit, or generate an error message.

When you perform a clean boot before you start Windows, you prevent programs that may conflict with your game from starting automatically. To perform a clean boot, follow the steps appropriate for your version of Windows. Watch a video that shows you how to do this.

To return your computer to an ordinary boot after you finish troubleshooting the issue, follow the instructions in this Knowledge Base article. Watch a video that shows you how to do this.

Remember if you encounter any issues after performing the "Clean Boot" just follow the video outlining how to return to an "Ordinary Boot" to restore your system to its original state.

The above Knowledgebase article was found starting at this page: Microsoft Game Studios

Other usefull topic links: Games for Windows, Help and Support

Using the above method there will still be some processes left running you will see in Task Manager that could be shut down. If you are willing to spend the time googling each of them listed you can discover what a few of the safer ones are to disable.

When playing single player games, if I use the "Clean Boot" method shown in the videos, I also tend to disable my internet connection.

Hopefully those less knowledgeable on creating specific bootup profiles involving windows services will find the above method of use.

When I run Oblivion on my Win XP Pro system my running processes are down to 19 which use roughly 56 mb of memory leaving the rest free for the game.

Ubbax

"Your work is both good and original. Unfortunately the part that is good is not original and the part that is original is not good."
- Samuel Johnson
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:41 pm
Alohan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ok then, could someone tell us how could we enable HDR? I'm not so skilled with .ini files so with details please, and one more question not related with the topic : how can we see the fps? do you enable it in some other .ini file? let us know ok? thanks.
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:56 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Alohan
Ok then, could someone tell us how could we enable HDR? I'm not so skilled with .ini files so with details please, and one more question not related with the topic : how can we see the fps? do you enable it in some other .ini file? let us know ok? thanks.

HDR can be enabled via the in-game options menu. You don't need to change any ini settings for HDR. Please note that you can not have AA and HDR enabled at the same time if you're using an nVidia graphics card. If you have an ATI graphics card, however, then you can have both options enabled (with the latest ATI Catalyst driver installed).

Regarding the FPS display, you can check your FPS by typing in '`' (key below 'ESC' key) to bring down the console. Then enter 'tdt'. This will show some debug info including FPS. To turn off, just type in 'tdt' again.
Alternatively, you can use a 3rd party freeware program like FRAPS .
Just install the program and keep it running in the background while playing games. The FPS will be displayed in one corner of the screen (you can configure in which corner so it doesn't interfere with the game interface).
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Phil5000
How can you stand the jaggies?

Jaggies didn't keep Julius Augustus Caesar from doing his thing.

Little to add to the discussion, except that it doesn't seem right. Sorry. Disable AV and anti-spyware processes, and everything else you don't need when playing Oblivion. Crank everything down until it works. To hell with the pansy ass visuals, it's gameplay that counts.
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:57 pm
Alohan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks Moriendor ,I think it's because of the AA, but in the autoplay with no AA HDR was unspported, I havent tried it in game but it takes a restart to apply so I'll check it out later.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:40 pm
Alohan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It is not working, with no AA I cant enable HDR, and I dont think the problem is from the graphics card, it's an X800. So what is the problem?
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Do you have Bloom enabled? Can't have that (Bloom) and HDR enabled at the same time either .

Basically, it's like this:

nVidia graphics card valid modes:
- AA off + HDR on + Bloom off
- AA on + HDR off + Bloom on
- AA on + HDR off + Bloom off
- AA off + HDR off + Bloom off

ATI graphics card valid modes:
- AA off + HDR on + Bloom off
- AA on + HDR off + Bloom on
- AA on + HDR off + Bloom off
- AA off + HDR off + Bloom off
- AA on + HDR on + Bloom off (with latest driver)
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:41 pm
Alohan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

No Moriendor that is not the problem either, I cant beleive this, it's an outrage. I want to at least see the game on HDR.

No one had a problem like this or ever heard of?
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:22 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor
No, it's not. HDR is not a SM 3.0 effect and Oblivion does not support SM 3.0. You can change an ini file entry that should -in theory- force 3.0 shaders to be used but since the game doesn't use any specific SM 3.0 effects, it is unclear whether changing the entry does anything at all.

You are incorrect. HDR IS an SM 3.0 effect in Oblivion and you must have an SM 3.0 enabled card to be able to use it.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:36 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor
No, it's not. HDR is not a SM 3.0 effect and Oblivion does not support SM 3.0. You can change an ini file entry that should -in theory- force 3.0 shaders to be used but since the game doesn't use any specific SM 3.0 effects, it is unclear whether changing the entry does anything at all.

You are incorrect. HDR IS an SM 3.0 effect in Oblivion and you must have an SM 3.0 enabled card to be able to use it.

It seems you're right and I was *partially* incorrect . The method of HDR implementation that Bethesda used in Oblivion (there are many different ways of HDR implementation) does indeed seem to require a card that supports SM 3.0. However, HDR in general is still not a SM 3.0 effect (as per the SM 3.0 specification) and does not necessarily require a SM 3.0 capable card.

From Wikipedia ...
quote:
It is implied that because the minimum requirement for HDR rendering is Shader Model 2.0 (or in this case DirectX 9), any graphics card that supports Shader Model 2.0 can do HDR rendering. However, HDRR may greatly impact the performance of the software using it, refer to your software's recommended specifications in order to run with acceptable performance.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:19 pm
Ubbax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
--clipped--

This is true for the retail boxed version of Oblivion however due to the very talented effort of a student, who goes by the alias Timeslip, HDR may now be enjoyed by those with cards which support Shader Model 2.0. (Timeslip is known to many for his Morrowind Mods/Utilities)

Granted it's not true HDR it's a Mod which adds fake HDR lighting which is compatible with AA. It is though a very excellently applied effect. I've been playing with it since around its second version and it has come a long way since then. Far enough along I no longer have reservations recommending it to my friends, at least those whose sytems can handle it.

quote:
Timeslip
-- Clipped --
This mod adds fake HDR lighting that not only works on sm2.0 cards, but which is also completely compatible with AA. The fps is constantly comparable with oblivions normal HDR, I've also written a cut down version which is even faster. Remember that this is not true HDR: Real HDR increases the range of colours available to textures, but this mod actually decreases it slightly. Another problem is the fact that I can't run oblivion. The shader has been designed to work - not to look good. You will almost certainly need to tweak this mod to your own personal preferences.

So if this has captured your attention/interest you can find Timeslips' pages and Mod hosted at the link below. Please take the time to read those pages and perhaps visit the Forum and offer congrats as his efforts are at least deserving of that. There is a link to the forum thread found on the lower left of the page.

Timeslips News and Updates

Shader model 2.0 fake HDR

For the record, I have no affliliation with Timeslip or the site now hosting his mods and pages.

Ubbax

"Never think there's a best system. There is only, at best, a system that annoys fewer people than the alternatives." - Brad Wardell CEO of Stardock creater of Galatic Civilizations
Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:04 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2