Alchemy and Elixirs in NOTR
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
SharpBlue
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Alchemy and Elixirs in NOTR

I just started a game again since I finally got an english version of NOTR. Geez I didn't remember the game being so hard, and I played through with a mage the first time.

Anyway, I was about to learn alchemy for the nice elixirs of dex/str, but is it just me, or it's been seriously changed?

Now learning to brew a single elixir (say, dexterity) costs 20 LPs. Considering that the elixir only gives +3 dex, compared to the +1 you would get eating the berries, it's only a net gain of +2, and it requires a king's sorrel. Doesn't that mean that to break even with this investment I'd have to brew 10 elixirs? I seem to remember that, last time I played, I only found about 10 king's sorrel or so in the course of the game... maybe one or two more, max.

I don't understand why it's not just better to just pump the 20 points in a stat directly and gain an immediate benefit?
Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:51 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by SharpBlue
I don't understand why it's not just better to just pump the 20 points in a stat directly and gain an immediate benefit?

I'll explain it to you very clearly, why it's still more than useful to learn how to brew strength potions.

First of all there are only about 13 King Sorrels in the game, and about as much Dragonroot at merchant's inventories etc. So it's possible to get about 39 strength from Dragonroot.

Now take the hypothetical case that you have only enough Dragonroots and King Sorrels to brew 6 Strength potions. That would mean +18 strength while it costs 20 lp to learn how to brew them. A waste of Learning Points. WRONG!!

Learning strength from teachers has become a lot more expensive too, as you might have noticed:
0-30: 1 LP per point
31-60: 2 LP per point
61-90: 3 LP per point
91-120: 4 LP per point
121 and up: 5 LP per point

Now let's say you have 90 strength and are considering whether or not you should learn how to brew strength potions.
Learning from a teachers gives you 5 extra strength when you spend 20 LP, while learning how to brew Strength potions and making 6 potions gives you 18 strength for only 20 LP. Learning 18 strength from a teacher would have costs you 72 LP! So it certainly is useful.

Conclusion: Wait with it until learning the skill becomes extremely expensive and then start to learn how to brew potions, use your Stone Tablets etc.

In the case of a Stone Tablet that gives you +2 strength:
When you read it immediately when you find it and have like 26 strength it will save you 2 LP.
Read it when you have 145 strength, it will save you 10 LP, because getting your strength 2 points higher is much more expensive in that state.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:54 am
SharpBlue
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks.

I actually just found out the hard way that the stat system was changed in NOTR. Those 20 LPs sure don't sound so bad when each stat increase costs 4 or 5 lps.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:06 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Save all your bonusses carefully (and make sure you find almost everything) and then everything will turn out fine.

A small guideline when learning something starts to cost more than 3 LP per point, start taking your bonusses.
So for strength you can learn to 94 (89 and them 5% in one time, this will let you get to 94 for 3 LP per point, same with 34, 64 etc.) and after eating all the bonusses you can have something like 200 strength.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:55 pm
rikus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

but who teaches to make strength elixirs? sagitta stopped teaching at dexterity and spirit elixirs, wtf??

i'm a merc currently so the monestary mage guy won't teach me.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:50 pm