FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Ultima Underworld 1 - The Stygian Abyss (PC, Single-Player R
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Wormface

The Ultimate first real scrolling RPG, Long before games were dumbed down and graphics cards made the blocks vanish there was this baby, never bettered for atmosphere and only ever bettered for story by its sequal. i still get a lump in my throat thinking about this game. And looking around me at the coraporate rubbish around nowadays get sad
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:51 pm

Headhunter

Revolutionary and outstanding when it came out, the first realtime 3D-rpg gave an absolutely uncommon experience in gaming. Addictive and innovative. I spent many nights crawling through the dungeon, always looking for creeping dangers all around me. What was that noise? Many interesting NPCS and quests, cool magic effects and spells, outstanding graphics (for this time), a great story... You name it, UU1 got it. It was fun to watch the two different goblin-tribes slaughter each other or just to go in and smack them up yourself, or just talk to those nasty little creatures. There were many different ways to interact with the NPC (e.g. support the knights or support the trolls? Or even try to end the war between them?). One cool thing was to stop the time with a spell and bash like crazy on the metal golem that otherwise would kill you with one blow... A nice feature was to create your own magic items... And i will never forget the final battle against that evil sorcerer... An last but not least, the map and the rune-bag that came with the box! Where do you get those gimmicks nowadays? This one truly deserves its own place in the hall of fame of the greatest rpg ever!
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:40 am

Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

This was the game that got me hooked on CRPG's forever! At that time I had no idea what a rpg was. It was the first game I ever played on a computer and just couldn't get enough of it. I thought all of the games were like that, but, oh dissapintment!
UUW 1 certainly has my vote for the best game ever.
I've heard a rumor that someone is recreating UUW1 as a Morrowind mod.
Is this true?
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:32 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Yes it is.
Look here
http://ultima.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10075&games=865
I think there is little chance he will continue beyond the level he created...

parc
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:34 pm

I a French Magazine which is dead now, Ultima Underworld was the ONLY game EVER to have the perfect score of 20/20. No other game had such a great grade.
Until Ultima Underworld continues to be the best game ever to hit the whole gaming industry. (Ultima 9 ascension and Dungeon master are very close to uw1)
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:23 am

Coffee

Abyss WithDrawl Symptoms

I have been waiting soooo long for someone to take this project under their wing and to actually see it all the qay to completion. I first played Ultima UnderWorld: The Stygian Abyss in 1994 on my sister's 486 DX PC. It was original and even occasionally scary, when played in a dark room by oneself.

I really think that new graphics could make it a nice horror action adventure, the type of game I love! It's time Origin got off their butts and redid it themselves actually, it would make some nice money, I'd definately pay for a completely revamped, perhaps even 2 CD version of this game.

I currently do own the original, all 4 stiffy disks of it. And occasionally I still do resort to playing it, but it is most depressing considering its great potential, but lack of knights to tackle this dragon.

Forever awaiting the FINAL REMAKE of ULTIMA UNDERWORLD: THE STYGIAN ABYSS. *sniffle*

Coffee
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:40 am

Garrett

Coffee: Did you ever try Arx? It is exactly what Underworld would be today I promise!
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:59 am

I usually go every morning to a nearby restaurant to have my daily ration of coffee. I usually take with me a gaming magazine, the manual of the last game I got, a programming book, or anything to read (usually computer related) while sipping my coffee . But, what made yesterday special? That, instead of something to read, I was playing UU1. Yes! I got the game in a version to be played in a Windows Pocket PC. The exact same version I played back in the early 90's.
Whoa!!!
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:43 pm

Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Sorry. The above post was by me.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:47 pm