Undecided
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Vampire

Author Thread
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Undecided

I can't decide if I like this game or not. I usually have to force myself to keep playing. That alone takes away a lot of enjoyment to the game. Personally, I don't think the city levels are very well done. They are just so dull it's pathetic. Then I get to places like the Haunted Hotel and the atmosphere makes it all worth it. The quests can be fun or... sometimes not (that doesn't help with my indecisiveness).

Most of all what I think the game lacks is a sense of purpose. I don't mean I wan't to hear "Oh, surely I am DAMNED!" every few minutes but why isn't the player given a chance to question their existence? If you woke up one day and were told "I am being merciful so you must live by this set of rules forever (or until you are killed)" would you just say "Ok, thank ya, masta! Kin I shine ya shoos fo ya, masta?" Why should I immediately start tieing up all of the loose ends in L.A. that other vampires are too lazy to fix themselves? Correct me if I'm wrong but this is basically how you start the game...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:52 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I have to agree with you about the start of the game. I wish there had been a better detail of why I am doing the grunt work, for lack of a better term, without questions.

I assumed it was part of the training for being a Vampire in the modern world. Prove yourself and you will gain a place in the social order of things. But it would have been nice to have that addressed at the start.

A bit of outrage at my new lifestyle would have been nice to have. But everytime I start playing, I get caught up in the game and go for hours. I think that is why I hate to start it. I have a hard time leaving the night life once I get there.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:22 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Well, it isnt like youre just another kindred after all, youre sort of a bastard child. Your sire was executed, you were an unauthorized embrace. Youre lucky you still got your head quite frankly, I dont think it's unreasonable for you to be starting out at the bottom, tying up loose ends to gain favor.

The game is as much about Vampire society and politics as it is action or anything else. I disagree on the towns, I think they are pretty well done. I live here on the coast and I can tell you that Santa Monica and Downtown are pretty good mini-representations, sans the hookers.

I do like the game, and have had alot of fun with it, but that doesnt mean there arent some things that bother me.

- I dont like the way that enemies are thrown 20 feet after you strike them, it's like youre suddenly playing some side-scroller action game or something. It's ridiculous for this game in my opinion.

- The humans are way too resilient. I know, for the sake of the game, humans cant get dropped with one shot. It's just strange to be pumping tons of lead into a human, you know. Maybe make them alot more deadly or something. 2 point blank shotgun blasts later and they are still coming, somethings wrong with this picture.

- The great eerie track that plays on the Ocean House mission winds up being played over and over on different locales.

- Minor thing, but I dont like how in scripted fights when the talk ends and the fighting begins, your previously drawn weapon is suddenly put away.

- the bugs, argh. Like right now, Ive done Imalia's first quest twice and she still gripes at me and the quest is failed even tho Ive done it right.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:43 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Re: Undecided

Sammy, there's a patch to fix that.

quote:
Originally posted by Korplem
Why should I immediately start tieing up all of the loose ends in L.A. that other vampires are too lazy to fix themselves?

Heh, that's how all RPGs are.
"Oh please save us, hero, while we sit on our thumbs!"

I was actually surprised when Damsel told me that she and some Anarchs dusted a plague bearer. "What?! Wait, why wasn't I invited?! I need more experience points!"
The NPCs certainly seemed more active than in other RPGs, at least in my opinion.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:49 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Haha! Excellent point, Val. I guess, after taking a 6 month break from games I forgot to overlook certain aspects of games.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:26 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Re: the Imalia Quest "You IdioT!" bug

FYI-
you can also complete the Imalia quest where she calls you an idiot and you fail anyway no matter how superbly you did it, by the following. I couldnt find the patch and was getting grouchy over the whole thing so i just went the console route as advised on some forum.

#1 - complete the quest superbly (without being detected)
#2 - before speaking with the lovely Imalia again, open the console and enter the following:

G.Tawni_Spotted=0

That should do it, worked for me
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:49 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Or that'll work.

Here's the patch.
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:56 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Im already @ v1.2, and it still happened to me.

I thought you were talking like a player-made patch to address that specific issue. Glad I didnt spend too much time looking
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:41 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Well, it isnt like youre just another kindred after all, youre sort of a bastard child. Your sire was executed, you were an unauthorized embrace. Youre lucky you still got your head quite frankly, I dont think it's unreasonable for you to be starting out at the bottom, tying up loose ends to gain favor. .

Yeah, there is a free module for VtR you can download on the white wolf site (Called Dance De La Mort or Mary's Child, i forget) that has 4 characters unathorized embraced and the background given and what is expected of them is pretty silly for waking up vampires. But that is where roleplaying comes in I guess, lot more viable in p&p than computer. But the scenario in VTM:B is a lot better than that module.

quote:

I do like the game, and have had alot of fun with it, but that doesnt mean there arent some things that bother me.

- I dont like the way that enemies are thrown 20 feet after you strike them, it's like youre suddenly playing some side-scroller action game or something. It's ridiculous for this game in my opinion.

- The humans are way too resilient. I know, for the sake of the game, humans cant get dropped with one shot. It's just strange to be pumping tons of lead into a human, you know. Maybe make them alot more deadly or something. 2 point blank shotgun blasts later and they are still coming, somethings wrong with this picture.

- The great eerie track that plays on the Ocean House mission winds up being

I think them flying around fits the aptmosphere of the game, but I guess thats personal opinion. My character was a high strength brawler so I liked it, especially with celerity.

I would blame the system, and not the game for the human resilence. Gun shot to humans cause lethal damage (blunt to kindred). Most crap human NPC's in the Story Teller system (like Street Thugs or Gansters) will have 7 health blocks. That means they can be shot 7 times.

But I know what Korplem is saying, I have the same problem with Kotor2, I had to force myself to play, and then when I got to the first chosen planet (moon of someplace or other withthe mandalorians) I just didn't even kind of want to play any more, not even a little. Even on difficult setting the combat is so easy my 15 month old daughter could win every fight. The only tough combat I got into was the 6 handmadiens, and I heard that was the hardest battle, I just didn't care anymore. Even though the combat in VTMB was horrible (in my opinion) it was challenging enough to keep me going (damn graveyard), as well as the great story of the game.

How do you like being a Seaman Korplem? Meet any hot guys yet? Let me tell you buddy, I've been married to a girl for almost 2 years, and if I could do it over again I'd marry a guy in a second. But not a guy that is basically a girl, like the super emotional gay guys that talk about feelings and emotions and talk a lot. The stoic macho and silent gay guys. Or a butch lesbian that is quiet and bottles emotions up and doesn't talk much. But the girls with all the talky talk, its enough to drive a man to join the navy.

But sometimes something good comes from being married to a girl, my wife made me watch a movy called Dogville with Tom Cruise's Wife in it. It started off very stupid but turned out to be one of the best movies I've ever seen. Its a guy movie disguised as a girl movie. Where are you stationed?
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:21 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Roqua! My favorite cynic finally shows up! I've been wondering if you'd ever come back.

Hot guys? Yeah, they're all over the place! But we have a general rule that 'It's not gay if it's under way but you're queer when its on the pier.' Unfortunately, since my school is the 3rd longest in the navy most of us can't wait and settle for the pier.

Anyway, I'm enjoying being a sea sperm. Right now I have night classes so I get to stay up playing video games and then sleep in. Hah! It's nice... By the way, I don't have the fruity Minnesota accent you talked about last year. The people from boot camp said I didn't sound anything like the other guys from MN.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:34 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I turned into a lurker due to stupid calculus. What a bunch of nonsense. I like how all the girls got upset when the Harvard guy said men are genetically superior to women when it comes to math. Why would any sex want the good math label? I wish someone would come out with a definitive study that proves women are better than men at math so I wouldn't feel like such a retard.

But I can start rumors. Math is for women; pass it on. Anyway I squeeked by calculus thanks to my wife riding me and since she is oriental she is good at math, and she is a women and women are genetically superior to men at math (see, the rumor is already working).

But calculus broke my spirit and will to learn. I can honestly and truthfully say that learning calculus has made me stupider and less able function as a human being. See, I just urinated all over myself. Thanks calculus for destroying my ability to think properly or use a toilet.

And then after math I got sucked into playing wow. Now I'm writing my own RPG (pen and paper, not computer). But my true dream is to run naked through the jungles of Africa.

Where are you stationed? I have a friend in the navy at San Antonio. I think all the Seamen told you that you didn't have a fruity accent because they all want to be invited to a party in your pants.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:15 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I'm in Rotten Groton, Connecticunt. I'll be here for about another year before I get on a boat.

I know what you mean about math not being for men. Right now I'm in an electronics class and all of these math formulas are like 'YOUR HEAD A SPLODE!' Math is for women; pass it on.

What server do you play on WoW? I'm on Burning Legion with a bunch of guys from the barracks here.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:25 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Im already @ v1.2, and it still happened to me.

I thought you were talking like a player-made patch to address that specific issue. Glad I didnt spend too much time looking

Hrm... try the fan-made patch then. I use both, so I'm not sure which fixes the problem.

http://www.rpgtalk.com/vmbl/
Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:11 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Korplem

What server do you play on WoW? I'm on Burning Legion with a bunch of guys from the barracks here.

I was on Dragonblight then a pvp server with a wierd name, then I quit.
Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:29 am