Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Announced
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Announced

The 'Might & Magic' game that is going to be presented at the Games Convention 2005 as a cooperation of UbiSoft and Arkane Studios is 'Dark Messiah of Might & Magic'. Thanks, <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=59098" target="_blank">Blue's</a>. Here's a snip from the press release...<blockquote><em>Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announces the development of Dark Messiah™ of Might & Magic®, a new first-person action game for the PC, powered by an enhanced version of the Source™ Engine, the award-winning game technology Valve created to power Half-Life®2.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:11 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Bleh. Not one mention of RPG elements. *Crosses another game off the list*
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:19 pm
Vidder
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

wow you had this game on your list yet?

how about this?
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1308046#post1308046
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:38 pm
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I guess one of the guys that posted on blues has seen the game and that it is an rpg. Since Arkane is doing it and they are doing another Source based RPG (Arx Fatalis 2) then it's logical too think that the new Might and Magic game is an RPG.
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:11 am
Dhruin

I didn't have this M&M game on my list - I had a Source-based RPG from Arkane on my list, which now appears to be an action game. I hadn't previously seen the comments from the ttlg forums but you will have to excuse me for taking a jaded view from the announcement...I'll wait to see more from GC.

Where is the evidence they are still doing Arx2, btw? Seems reasonable to think the project has changed, to me.
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:35 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Do they think someone who enjoys M&M would honestly be interested in a f'in action game both the strategy and rpg variations were SLOW TURN BASED games. Who the F is the moron who came up with this half arse idea a retarded drunk monkey randomly tapping at a typewriter could come up with?
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:40 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

My gut feeling is that whatever started out as Arx Fatalis 2 will become this new M&M game. Arkane is simply not big enough to be able to undertake 2 developments at one time. All the work they've done up to this point will probably be rolled into this newly branded game.

Personally, as long as it has the same feel of Arx and is a RPG, I don't care if they change it to the M&M franchise. I will be happy to playing another first person adventure again...

In a way, this is very similar to how Disney convinced Akella to morph their "Sea Dogs 2" into "Pirates of the Carribean".
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:04 am
Ryuken
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, if they wanted it to be an rpg in the style of the previous M&M games they should have called it M&M X. Now it seems idd that it's going to be more of a first person Crusaders of M&M, definitely not the thing I was looking forward to.

Or perhaps Ubisoft is just afraid to include 'rpg' in the game description.
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:48 am
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Another franchise ruined.

There are 4 game genres, but they are all just action nowadays, there are no more RPGs.
Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:02 am
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

From following Arx Fatalis 2 I would say that they are almost done with that game and probably put alot of their devs on the new M&M game simular too how Bethesda works.

PS. Alot of game "publishers" are afraid of putting "RPG" into any information they give out and anyways Arkane seems too me as made up of hardcore rpg gamers. (If you played Arx Fatalis then you would think the same way)
Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:59 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by slak
Another franchise ruined.

There are 4 game genres, but they are all just action nowadays, there are no more RPGs.

There is a turn-based strategy game with the M&M name coming out next year, so if you're an old-school M&M fan, you'll get that. I hope that this game will be an action RPG like Gothic or Arx Fatalis.

quote:
Originally posted by guenthar
From following Arx Fatalis 2 I would say that they are almost done with that game and probably put alot of their devs on the new M&M game simular too how Bethesda works.

PS. Alot of game "publishers" are afraid of putting "RPG" into any information they give out and anyways Arkane seems too me as made up of hardcore rpg gamers. (If you played Arx Fatalis then you would think the same way)

So is there still an Arx 2, or is this game what's left of it?
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:47 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by doctor_kaz

Would have to disagree on that one. "RPG" does not equal "The Plague" (anymore) . Might have been true some time ago when RPGs were thought of as stat-based number crunching nightmares but those times have long gone (thanks to "RPGs" like Diablo and many more "action RPGs").

Today's devs/publishers know exactly that a genre-mix will get them a broader audience that's looking forward to a game... and a broader coverage, too. That's why we're seeing games labelled as "RPS" (role-playing strategy), RPG/RTS hybrids, FPS/RPG hybrids, action RPG/RTS etc etc etc and -yes- we (RPGDot) are guilty of jumping on the bandwagon but times change and it would be silly/fruitless to wallow in the past nostalgia forever.

Seriously, I'm sometimes dreaming of a turn-based combat "Realms of Arkania IV" but could it really be done right with today's technology? Not sure... I have serious doubts that the old grid on which combat is executed would be very appealing. I also have serious doubts that a switch between real-time first person movement and isometric grid/turn-based combat would work in a current game.
Games have gotten more and more realistic and I'm not so sure if a turn-based (leave alone grid-based) combat system would be too appealing anymore.
As I said, the times are changing and we can either adopt or be left behind :/ .
Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:57 am
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Bleh. Not one mention of RPG elements. *Crosses another game off the list*

I love the GasBot avatar BTW.

Don Todd did say that it will have stats and RPG elements. I contacted Cindy Lum over at Ubisoft, and they're not ready to talk about the game, but they will get back to us so we can do a preview later.
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:24 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I have an appointment at the Games Convention with Ubi´s German branch. After that meeting we know more.
The official press conference is tomorrow, so news should come soon.
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:21 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

YES we've got a license let's milk the fans with crappy games!
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:55 pm