Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Which one will push the MMRPG boundaries?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

World of Warcraft
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Horizons
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Middle Earth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Everquest 2
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dragon Empires
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Darkfall
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
City of Heroes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wish
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ultima X
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dangeon & Dragons
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Warhammer Online
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Ryzom
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Lineage 2
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dark and Light
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neocron
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mythica
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Ages of Athiria
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Populopolis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Atriarch
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pirates of the Burning Sea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Thread
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I am sure I am going to forget some.

Last edited by Ligi on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:52 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Erm... What are you asking exactly? Which one will be the most popular? Which one would be the best? Which one will fail? I don'T know where to put my money at all now...
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:13 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ok, I can clarify the question.

Which one are you looking forward to play?
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:43 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I have no earthly idea! There are just way too many to choose from and I know so little about most.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:52 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
Ok, I can clarify the question.

Which one are you looking forward to play?

Then my answer is: none (which is nowhere to be found on your list, along with "others" for those that you missed, by the way ). I never look forward to any MMORPG, I would rather enjoy those that are on the market right now, and try the new ones as they are released. Looking forward to any game in this genre only leads to disapointment 90% of the time...
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:57 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

You are so right...
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:58 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeap, I have to agree on that one. So , I am going to change the question to:"which one will push the MMRPG boundaries "?
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:05 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I am sure most of them will do that in some way or another, and to different degrees.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:09 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
Yeap, I have to agree on that one. So , I am going to change the question to:"which one will push the MMRPG boundaries "?

Now that's a little more challenging question! But you still need to add "none" and "other" to your choices. Let me think about that before answering...
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:10 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

LOL, what a demanding audience!!

It wont let me add more options, I reached the limit.

I know that most of those games will be inovative at some degree but which one rings the bell at your playstyle?
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:22 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Well as I said, I know little about most of them, but the most promising from the tiny amount of information I do know is Dragon Empires, simply because of the PvP aspects.

But I cannot really vote for it since it would be unfair to the other games because of my extreme lack of knowledge.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:26 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Well... After some thought on the subject I'm still highly undecided... Some I know of more than others, and so I can't really vouch for any one of these titles to "push the boundaries" of MMORPGs. I can tell you though that if any one of them will make the genre evolve, it will be one of the lesser known titles, one that will likely pass under the radar and reveal itself to be a surprise when it comes out. I have personal high hopes on this front for Horizons. But nothing is ever sure in this industry.

I doubt that any innovation will come out of D&D online for various reasons. One of which is that Turbine will be as careful as possible since their latest opus (AC2) did not meet with the success they were expecting. Anything from them will probably stay within the boundaries of what they know works in the genre.

The Matrix Online? I have little faith in Ubi Soft.... very little faith. Too bad too because it's being produced in my own backyard here in Montreal, and I would love nothing more than to cheer for them. But Ubi simply does not have a good track record.

Dragon Empires sounds nice on paper, but really what does it do that's so different? I'm not sure it'll be as innovative as some people hope it will be. Microsoft could surprise us with Mythica, although I haven't looked at anything from that title as of right now.

World of Warcraft is kind of a hot potato. Everyone believes that Blizzard can't fail, and will revolutioniza the genre... I have very little faith. I'm sure the game will be quite good, and the production will be top notch. But given Blizzard's history we are as likely to see WoW come out this year, or early next year, as we are likely to see Bill Gates charge $5/month for his new MMORPG And revolution? Well... nothing I've heard so far about the game can prove to me it'll be anything to push the boundaries of the genre. It'll be a warcraft online RPG, that's it. Which, by the way, doesn't mean that it's a bad thing!

Middle Earth online? I'd rather not say, or hear, or read anything about this game. I know I'll be disappointed without even having my hopes boosted by those marketting geniuses and their hype. I'll just be happy if it's any good, nevermind about pushing the boundaries of the genre!

I'll stop here I guess!! This is turning into an editorial... I guess my vote (if I really need to choose one) will go with Horizons.

PS.: Neocron? The game has been out for a while now, hasn't it? As far as I know it didn't push boundaries of any kind, so maybe you'd want to take that one off of your list
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:41 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

As a big-time pc game player, I've research nearly every one of those games. It took me 2 seconds to decide. Darkfall. Everyone is going to be surprised with this one. However, my second choice is Dragon Empires. Both of those titles (besides Trials of Ascension, which is a more specialized game) are kind of small-time projects, but both will, in my eyes, take the market by force. Star Wars Galaxies has a big influence, but in my crowd it was mainly a negative influence while at the same time raising the bar a notch for graphics. So i say Darkfall. Give me Darkfall or give me death!
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:47 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
Darkfall. Everyone is going to be surprised with this one.

You know, I'm getting curious about that one... So many people seem to say good things about it. I'll have to find a few minutes to go read the nice features we've had this week and see what all the fuss is about!

I just realised there was one game that's absent from the list though: Realms of Torment. That one I'm also having high hopes for, if only for the whole generational theme at its core. The way you will have children that you will be able to control once your character perma-dies, or dies from old age, is something very intriguing and very interesting in a role-playing sort of way. That one could make a few heads turn as well!
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:17 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I'm going to say Darfall Online aslo. I've been following this one a long time, and I've liked it the whole way. All games claim to be innovative, but what a game needs to do to do that, is ask the players their faviorate aspects of the current games out and incorporate all of those features. Asking the fans...now thats innovative. Possible? I don't know...
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next