Usergroups
PC vs. XBox versions...from one who has both
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

PC version is better, like first, max tv resolution is 700x500 or something, you also get patches, plug-in and a construction set with PC version. Its much harder to play it with no mouse. Does xbox have pixel shader?Sound quality is much lower.

Now look at xbox improvements, only faster load time. It would load faster to me aswell if I played at 700x500.

I get 30 fps outside and 90 - 110 fps inside. I bet that xbox cant do half of it
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:25 pm
ItBurn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: PC vs. XBox versions...from one who has both

quote:
Originally posted by sooth
XBox is definately the better of the two. its faster, smoother, the AI is improved, the loading times are fewer and shorter, and it looks cool on a 60 inch TV. I know the resolutin isnt 1124x864, but that is not a big deal.
the only "weird" thing is the controller. i like the mouse and keyboard better.
if only there was a mouse/keyboard available for the XBox. shucks
oh yeah, and no plugins...big friggin deal. so you cant cheat by getting a million gold and all the uber-weapons without earning them righteously. anyone who does that is a loser. who prob cheats at all their games.

Faster? -That depends on your computer.

Smoother? -That depends on your computer.

AI is improved? -NO.

the loading times are fewer and shorter? -That depends on your computer.

I know the resolutin isnt 1124x864, but that is not a big deal? -It is to me.

no plugins...big friggin deal? -Plugins arent just cheats... Theres whole new adventures too...

PC advantages:
-editor
-plugins
-resolution
-visual tweaking
-other tweaks (ingame/.ini)
-keyboard/mouse
-patches
-text is easier to read

Xbox advantages:
-a console is near a couch more often than a pc is
-a xbox costs less than a brand new computer
-a xbox dosen't look as dorky as a computer :p

Oh, and I DIDN'T upgrade my computer for Morrowind.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:34 pm
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

whew, you guys are ravenous ...like I said, i still play both.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:10 pm
Early Q
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bethesda said that because the dot pitch on TVs is too large, they had to have larger fonts.

and besides, we're just debaiting with yah .
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:31 pm
banditodevida
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Both side have their pros and cons. But the PC version must be better. Since they're both the same code-wise, and the PC version had to patched, then the Xbox version must be flawed, because it can't be patched. But, I do agree, the Xbox version is optimised for a TV and the Xbox, so it probably runs smoother, and maybe it even looks better. But that doesn't matter if the version is flawed in the first place, right?
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:32 pm
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Im not sure about bugs or glitches, but i havent fount any yet. im on level 15, on the main quest. yes, the AI is slightly different in reference to creatures. they see you from farther away.
if bethesda would just make the PC game run faster, i would agree with you PC afficionados. but i like the smoothness on the xbox. i havent heard of more than 35fps(PC) from anyone yet, and definately not a constant 35fps(outside, towns).
dot pitch on an HDTV? this aint the 80's, mate.
and if it were, we;d still be playing super mario bros.
debate is all well and good, but i just wanna make friends, not be a member of a think tank.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:31 pm
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Amen to that, Sooth.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:16 am
Early Q
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Acutally yes, if we saying HDTV then you can say 27. but that still ain't brilliant.

The average TV has a dot pitch of 30. +.

Try playing Simpsons Road Rage on PS2 on a regular TV. text is barely readable. Anyway. Stop pissing around with the text display. PC RULEZ. End of story .
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:12 pm
ItBurn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Im not sure about bugs or glitches, but i havent fount any yet. im on level 15, on the main quest. yes, the AI is slightly different in reference to creatures. they see you from farther away.
if bethesda would just make the PC game run faster, i would agree with you PC afficionados. but i like the smoothness on the xbox. i havent heard of more than 35fps(PC) from anyone yet, and definately not a constant 35fps(outside, towns).
dot pitch on an HDTV? this aint the 80's, mate.
and if it were, we;d still be playing super mario bros.
debate is all well and good, but i just wanna make friends, not be a member of a think tank.

God sooth, it's not Morrowind's fault if your pc sucks...

And theres nothing different with the ai, try playing with the ai slider with the pc version and you will be amazed.

And yes, the xbox is exactly what the pc version was before the patch. So there's stuff that isn't fixed. The xbox crashes less because the xbox's hardware is mostly always the same. So, some pcs crash because theyre messed up or because their parts are not conventional.

Gotta add some advantages to the PC now that you continued this thread:p

-health bar
-autorun
-screenshots
-windowed mode
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:18 pm
ItBurn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

Oh, I reduced my details to approximately what the xbox's are and it ran faster than 35fps. And its pretty constant.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:22 pm
banditodevida
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You guys keep on talking about how HDTV would be the equalizer. You're all failing to see that HDTV are quite expensive. Some are more than most high end PCs! I'm not willing to pay more than $3000 for a HDTV just so I can have a better looking game.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:31 pm
Singing Sausage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ItBurn said:

"Oh, I reduced my details to approximately what the xbox's are and it ran faster than 35fps. And its pretty constant."

Nice claim, but if I was trying to prove that one position of an argument is more true than the other, and all I had to do was SAY that it was so, I would win every time.

Where is your proof of reducing your details to the approximate XBox specifications and running Morrowind? And what, praytell, constitutes "pretty constant" for the purposes of this discussion?

I have an Xbox, and I own Morrowind for it. As far as I can tell from the research I have done, the only real improvements/extras that make the PC version any better are the inclusion of an editing/scripting program, a console command capability, and higher resolution capability. Addenda such as what are included from installing the patch seem to be irrelevant insofar as considerations of the limitations/capabilities of the opposing systems.

Does the addition of something such as an "autorun" command make the pc version "better"? Of course not. It is perceived to be better by you because you play it on a pc, and this addition makes it easier for you to run. The game itself is not affected by such an addition, because it does not affect the core gameplay itself, which is the same for both systems. Higher resolutions are indeed a boon for the pc, although this is generally tempered by the fact that most people cannot get Morrowind to run acceptably at very high resolutions. And can the addition of an enemy health bar REALLY be thought of so highly that it makes the pc version better? I really can't say that it impacts the gameplay so positively that it can be considered to make the pc version better than the XBox version.

In ending, I'd say that the XBox version may not be superior technically, but it has FAR less (in fact, effectively zero) relevant factors/variables that can cause dissatisfaction than does the pc version. The XBox version is easier to run, maintain, and has a solid fps vs resolution ratio that allows for a maximum mix of graphical enjoyment AND smooth gameplay, whereas it seems that the norm for a pc player is either a good framerate, or spectacular graphics and resolution, but rarely both.

So I guess I fall in the "XBox version is better" camp.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:42 pm
MtnDwarf
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

wow, that little rant was quite pathetic. this whole argument is pretty sad. especially that last article. how could you argue that getting more custimization and more additions to you game not add to the game. The fact that you can get whole other games do to modules, (IE the ultima underworld mod in developement) greater custimization over your graphics, (greater resolution=prettier graphics with lower framerate and vice versa) and superior controls makes this "contest" not much of one at all. It all boils down to getting MORE. More in this particular situation = better.

hey how about that I was able to write a post without making it apear overly complex in order to hide the failings in my argument AKA sousage man. ITS CALLED SOPHISTRY and you made a very pathetic attempt at it.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:08 pm
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Why can't we all just get along? I think we should just play our own versions and just enjoy it. Let's help each other, not hurt each others feelings. (smacks himself in the face for showing sensitive side)
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:39 pm
Singing Sausage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

MtnDwarf drooled:

"wow, that little rant was quite pathetic. this whole argument is pretty sad."

Quite pathetic, eh? I'm sorry if you can't understand when adults speak. Perhaps you should go to the thirteen-years-old and under message boards. Perhaps you will understand your ilk more efficiently.

"especially that last article. how could you argue that getting more custimization and more additions to you game not add to the game."

More does not always equal better. Furthermore, the if you actually read my post, you would see that I agreed, to a point, that some of the additions to the pc version are good, they just don't make the pc version better than the XBox version.

"The fact that you can get whole other games do[sic] to modules, (IE[sic] the ultima underworld mod in developement) greater custimization over your graphics, (greater resolution=prettier graphics with lower framerate and vice versa) and superior controls makes this "contest" not much of one at all. It all boils down to getting MORE. More in this particular situation = better."

I AGREED that an editing\scripting program is one of the addenda that can make the pc version "better". As far as greater customization over your graphics and resolution capabilities, perhaps you should re-read my first post. Just because you CAN adjust them to a greater value doesn't mean that it is better, especially when most people cannot take advantage of those capabilities, and are forced by the relative restrictions of their pc to having a graphical/resolution set-up similar to the XBox display. More options mean NOTHING if you cannot use them effectively.
And as far as controls go, name something that you can do on the pc version, that you cannot do on the XBox, that makes the controls "superior" to the XBox version. Let me see,... quickslots... And that may be all. Is there anything else you can do on the pc you cannot do on the XBox, relating to the overall gameplay? Please do not trot out the grand addition of things like "a continous run key" either. These are so insignificant as to be irrelevant, as the majority of people on this message boards are not power gamers, and have no real use for such a key and similar additions of the same earth-shattering import.

Also, because you have more control options, that doesn't make the controls "superior". In fact, the fewest amount of button presses/control issues that exist, are, in my mind, and I'm guessing many others, preferable to a long laundry list of controls that, when condensed, yield almost exactly the same results.

"hey how about that I was able to write a post without making it apear overly complex in order to hide the failings in my argument AKA sousage[sic] man."

Once again, adults may speak and write in ways that you have difficulty understanding. Maybe Dad should have actually helped you in first and second grade with your studies, and then you would not be confused. No matter, that is their/your fault, not mine. And when you wish to speak about "failings in argumentation", you have no further to look than the chutzpah you have thrown on the floor and have hoped to rearrange into some semblance of order and coherence. I have supplied solid reasoning into my argumentation. Have you? I have dismantled your supposed salient points. You cannot do the same to mine.

"ITS CALLED SOPHISTRY...

SOPHISTRY
soph·is·try Pronunciation Key (sf-str)
n. pl. soph·is·tries
1. Plausible but fallacious argumentation.
2. A plausible but misleading or fallacious argument.

Do you really think going to the dictionary and picking a term that you think sounds correct will make your post any more cogent? How, in ANY way, have I presented a "fallacious" argument?

...and you made a very pathetic attempt at it."

What is absolutely hilarious about the last bit of pea-soup you have drooled out here, is that if I FAILED in sophistry, I would have PROVED MY POINTS.

Bring something to the table that contributes to the conversation, or else stop wasting my and everyone elses time with this drivel. I'm not sure why you felt the need to flame me about this (pc fanboy), but it accomplished NOTHING but making you look immature and uneducated.

A note for the mods here. I was flamed by this individual FIRST. I am
merely responding. I don't believe my response can be considered a flame.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:56 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next