Feedback on 'How to Enjoy Ultima Ascension'
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Feedback on 'How to Enjoy Ultima Ascension'

As you can read here we published a new guide to Ultima Ascension. We'd like your thoughts and feedback on the subject. Is the guide any usefull? Did we get it wrong somewhere? Anything to add?

Thanks,

Parc
Alias Parcival Dragon -=UDIC=-
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I like it, it looks nice!

Hereīs a U9 benchmark:
http://www.3dcenter.de/userbench/ultima9.php

I think you should get permission to upload the fan patches at RPGDot, to have everything at one place.
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:14 am
Parcival

I'm glad you like it so far. I will inlcude that link in a future release. I have contacted some of the patch makers and already got permissions for some editors. Will continue to do so. I have no idea who made the 1.19 patch though. Makes it difficult to ask for permission.

Parc
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:18 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I just read it, I thought it was very helpful.
I have never played an Ultima game, so I might be one of the newcomers you mentioned
I orginally bought U9 on release and was so disapointed by bugs, I uninstalled and never looked back till just recently.
I am a huge fan of Gothic series and heard several mentions that Gothic was inspired by and picked up the reins from Origin/Ultima.
So I have been looking around and your guide is the perfect solution

I can think of a couple of things I would be intrested in seeing.

1. A litte more detail on charater development at the begining.
As I have been serching I found info that actual gave the stats, once you went thru the portal, ie like Ranger had Str 2, Dex 2, Intel 2 and Mana 20.
Does this stat upgrade count as 1 of the 8 in the game?
Basicly very helful to someone whom has never played before, as you mentioned a possible influx with the new release.

2. With bug/quest breaks still possible, some type of insert codes would be great, in the Cheat section you mentioned,
If those are available in Gothic you can insert/reset charaters and items very helpful.

3. Will there be a section with brief history of other Ultima games to help orient us newbs.
Like WAIT dont play this till you played, 1-8 first
The releation of the Underworld series, were these fan missions?
Is there a collection of all the games like Wizardry?
Edited: I see there is a collection.

Anyway thought it was great thanks for taking the time
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:35 am
Hurin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Make sure you include a section on a problem I've noticed with the new release included with UO 7th Anniversary.

I got the new UO release, and decided to install U9 from it. Guess what, EA even managed to screw up the re-release of this game: There is no configuration utility included with the game. And the game just runs at 640x480. There is simply no convenient way for your average non-techy player to change the resolution.

Even running the configuration utility from its executable does not work.

You can probably edit the INI file itself. . . but how many people are going to be able to do that without help.

I've installed it twice on an XP Pro SP2 system. Same results. I then installed my old (original) copy, and the configuration utility worked fine.

Man, that's a shame. A lot of people are going to be confused and frustrated by this.

H
Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:21 pm
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

There is a collection of all (almost) Ultima games in "The Ultima Collection". It constains Ultima 1-8 plus Akalabeth (pre-Ultima 1). Also contains all parts to Ultima 7.

You can get both Ultima Underworlds in a collection called "The Ultimate RPG Archive", which also contains alot of classic RPGs (BArds Tale 1-3, Bards Tale Constrction Set, Might and Magic Clouds of Xeen and M&M Darkside of Xeen, Stonekeep, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, Drgon Wars, Wasteland, and Wizardry Gold (7).

For just about every one of them, you need a DOS setup though, or you can use the DOS emulator DOSBox.
Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:52 pm
pantheon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you for the guide - loking forward to getting the completed version.

I have never played an Ultima game. A recommendation would be a map of the world with markers for interesting places which the player should explore. Not a lot of detail - just a name so we know to look for something cave/ruin etc when we are in the area. UltimaDot has some of these already on the 'towns' pages.

I will play Ultima after Gothic 1 and 2 - I've loaded the game and it looks good - I enjoy the exploring 1st person games - MW, Arx etc. I've just started Gothic 1 - throughly enjoying it.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:08 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums!

Maybe you should play U:Ascension before the Gothics. Gothic is like an improved Ultima 9. Playing U9 last could ruin the experience.

U9 isnīt half as bad as the reviews made it, but it stills falls behind the older Ultimas. The two Ultima 7s are great.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:02 am
pantheon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the welcome Gorath.

I've been a lurker on the Gothic boards for a long time

I'm not too concerned about Gothic ruining my experience, I've already played MW for about a year and Arx.

Yes, I read some reviews from players that said they couldn't understand what all the fuss was about and U9 ran fine on their systems - having started playing the game it runs well on my machine - looks good / looks a fun game! - hard to believe it was realeased in 99!

I see where U9 is quite different to the earlier Ultimas in playing style (I have U7- incl exps and U I plan to play through them after U9 - I figure U9 is so removed from the earlier ones that it may even be a better way to do it .

One question - playing on XP with patches - up to 1.19, is there any way of changing the forward/back movement keys from the arrow keys to WASD? I see in the U9 guide that there was a fan program that did this on Win95/98 but the guide says it doesn't work on XP.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:09 pm
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I never finished U9 and I consider it one of the biggest gaming disappointments if not the biggest I've seen. When I discovered what happened with the production I wasn't so angry at Origin as I was at EA.

It's not a horrid game overall, but it is a horrid conclustion to the wonderful Ultima series.
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:28 am
wowgamer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dear Parcival would you complete your handsome 'How to Enjoy Ultima Ascension'? I find begining of this guide very usefull, well structurized and pretty designed!

And pantheon there is a way of changing almost any key. Just edit your 'Default.kmp' keymap file in Ultima IX directory (it's text file).
Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:19 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I played U9 before gothic and i liked it and played it till the end but the combat was horrendous. Don't know if it was the translation but the dialogues seemed a little bit dull to me too...
Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:24 pm