Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Screenshots @ Official Si
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Screenshots @ Official Si

The staff at the official site for Dark Messiah of Might and Magic have just posted up a new "gameplay" <a href="http://www.mightandmagic.com/us/darkmessiah/teaser/" target="_blank">screenshot</a> or two for your viewing pleasure!!
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:50 pm
ElSebasti
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was not aware of this game. It looks verry promissing.

What a great year for RPG gamers it will be 2006.

If you haven't seen it, watch the video with the guy from valve in the media section.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:55 pm

It's not a role-playing game. It hurts just thinking about what could have been: a traditional Might & Magic using the Source engine. Ah well.

Did they learn nothing from Legends of Might & Magic?
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:35 pm

I was replying to ElSebasti, by the way. I'm sure everyone at RPGDot knows it's not a real RPG.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:43 pm

Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Gameplay wise i think it will be better than "Project Offset" but gfx wise it's not as astonishing.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:54 pm

I am going to step out on a limb here and call this game utter crap in the face of what Might and Magic was and should be. Sure single player action games are fine and dandy but dont wrap one up and call it M&M when the whole series was about group combat and facing hoards of monsters at a time. Heck I still go back to play 6-8 from time to time, 9 being crap as it was going down the road to what this new game looks to be, though at least it had some of the feel of M&M.

Now also look at the graphics, I am all for dazling graphics but dont rip off the looks from a movie (can we say LoTR? Has artistic talent and creativity gone the way of the dead? or has it just become totaly influenced by mass media...

I'm sure this game will grab someones attention, but I just dislike taking a RPG sega such as M&M and totaly changing it from what it was to appease the masses, or whoas to the true RPG gamers.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:32 pm

Oh joy. Yet another First Person Shooter with delusions of grandure about being a RPG. Why are RPGDot even covering this piece of crap???
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:42 pm

corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

To give guests (from the Codex?) something to complain about!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:18 am
Lorgosin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I am going to step out on a limb here and call this game utter crap in the face of what Might and Magic was and should be. Sure single player action games are fine and dandy but dont wrap one up and call it M&M when the whole series was about group combat and facing hoards of monsters at a time.

I'm sure this game will grab someones attention, but I just dislike taking a RPG sega such as M&M and totaly changing it from what it was to appease the masses, or whoas to the true RPG gamers.

RPGs are originally not about levelling, monsterslaying or group combat. They are, as the name implies, about playing a role. Many people confuse the means with the ends. Leveling, turn-based combat, parties and to some degree killing monsters are all there to facilitate roleplay. What is important to understand that these are systems that has been in place since the very beginning of P&P RPGs. This means they are either the best systems (which is unlikely) or they have become so closely assosiated with the genre that they have become "holy". The former theory is especially unlikely here since these systems were invented for P&P RPGs where the rules have to be visible, whereas in computer RPGs role playing is best facilitated by "hiding" the rules. What I'm trying to say is that many games not labeled RPGs are a lot closer to a true roleplaying experience (that is making meningful choices for a character other than your real life self), than are many games with that label. "RPG elements" has become synonymous with leveling while a more correct assosiation would be with interactivity and freedom.
So the fact that you face hordes of monsters with parties of leveling characters in M&M does not automatically make it an true RPG (that would qualify Warcraft III as an RPG), neither does the absense of party disqualify Dark Messiah as an RPG. Personally I prefer to wait and see what it turns into. If it becomes swords and sorcery quake I will stay away, but if it lets me make meaningful choices in an open and responsive world I will not only be likely to like it, but I will also consider it every bit as much an RPG as KOTOR or M&M. At the very least Arcane has shown me with Arx Fatalis that they deserve the benefit of a doubt.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:41 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Lorgosin

RPGs are originally not about levelling, monsterslaying or group combat.

I will not only be likely to like it, but I will also consider it every bit as much an RPG as KOTOR or M&M. At the very least Arcane has shown me with Arx Fatalis that they deserve the benefit of a doubt.

Thats not the point he was trying to make. It is a M&M game. M&M rpgs have always been party based/leveling up/fighting huge numbers of monsters affairs. Why make it a M&M game if it has nothing to do with the franchise apart from some suit saying "let's make a half-life 2 version of M&M and make bundles of cash".

quote:
Originally posted by Lorgosin

"RPG elements" has become synonymous with leveling while a more correct assosiation would be with interactivity and freedom.

I believe it is more along the lines that crpgs have evolved beyond what the original definition was. The modern CRPG is also not defined by merely saying it provides the player with the ability to make meaningful choices or a level of interactivity and freedom. If you defined it that loosely then every single game ever made would be a crpg. The definition of an "RPG" has evolved over time, there have been many attempts at defining what a crpg is on this website and I would recommend you have a read of a few of them.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:09 am
Garrett

A nice RPG this will be
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:24 am
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

For one this is an rpg and at least one of the devs said so and I guess this will probably have an experience based system but I'm not sure about that.

If you wanted too make a true roleplay game (taking the role of a character) you would have too have it simular too how Oblivion is going too be. For you too take on a role of a character you would have too be able too improve yourself. (experience based leveling is out of the question) If you think about how people improve themselves you would know that it is done by doing the things that you want too improve yourself in, and not by some mystical experience based system where you are doing totally different things and then you suddenly here a ding and open up some menu from out of nowhere and put points into something you know little about. You would also have too have fairly realistic and a variety of ways for which you can interact with the people and environments in the game.

PS. This M&M game seems like it will be different but it still might be good, especially if it's like the Elderscrolls games, which are some of my most favorite games that have been made.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:33 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

umm guys this is Arkine Studios who made Arx Fatalis making an RPG not some no name developer whom doesnt know how to make an RPG, so you might reconsider
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:46 am

quote:
Originally posted by bjon045
I believe it is more along the lines that crpgs have evolved beyond what the original definition was. The modern CRPG is also not defined by merely saying it provides the player with the ability to make meaningful choices or a level of interactivity and freedom. If you defined it that loosely then every single game ever made would be a crpg. The definition of an "RPG" has evolved over time, there have been many attempts at defining what a crpg is on this website and I would recommend you have a read of a few of them.

Your argument is pretty simple: We play a role in every game, which makes Sprinter Cell, for example, RPG. I've read them all (unfortunately) but, IMHO, It's a kind of argument convenient for shutting up the opponent but is never insightful and definitely not enough to describe an evolving object. You can continue your argument like a tape-recorder every time other people come with a new view to RPG but I must confess that I'm not interested in definitions like the above or cannot regard such kind of discussion even remotely intellectual.

Many people seem to like Arx-Fatalis. So, although it may be completely different from M&M series, if the developers are faithful to their own concept, it can turn out to be an interesting game, whether it is authorized to be called RPG or not by a certain people. I'd rather stay back and see.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:42 am

quote:

Thats not the point he was trying to make. It is a M&M game. M&M rpgs have always been party based/leveling up/fighting huge numbers of monsters affairs. Why make it a M&M game if it has nothing to do with the franchise apart from some suit saying "let's make a half-life 2 version of M&M and make bundles of cash".

Ok, I'm with you there. It's a bad thing to make something part of a franchise if it has nothing to do with the core principles of that franchise. Sadly, that's what sells, and hopefully it will at least help Arcane make a great game.

quote:

The choice to have super mario jump on another mushroom is hardly meaningful. With meaningful I mean emotionally engaging and affecting the life of you character. In many game important decitions are made in cutscenes and in many they are not made at all. So while a game can be described as a series of meaningful choices (to quote Sid Meier), I beleive that an RPG can be described as a series of meaningful, life-affecting choices made on behalf of an ingame character. Meaningful choices are choices where you can express the personality of your character.
Neither can it be said that the world in pacman, super mario, or for that matter the vast majority of games ever made provides you with a responsive world. My definition of responsive (which I don't claim to be the correct one) is that you can in some way permanently affect your world and/or the people therein through the choices you make.
Finally, an RPG is never more RPG than you make it. If you don't roleplay it's still just hack and slash with numbers. What's interesting is if the game provides you with the opurtunities to roleplay and to show all those little quirks whith which most roleplayers (in the original sense) love to endow their characters (a strong distaste for happy elves anyone?).
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:38 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next