MOD Discussion Thread
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

MOD Discussion Thread

Will the upcoming patch for Uk G2 version in a few weeks contain the proper English text in place of the German text in the skills/information display?

I used NicoDE advice from another forum where he adressed this. He linked a download of the proper text; but does not have the time to hex edit the code in. He said someone with the time can go ahead and do it. Generally, english sentences are shorter and will fit in the game.dat file hex code without changing the length (which ruins it).

I went ahead and presently putting the proper text in so it reads in english. The original file game.dat is about 5 Meg long, zipped I do not know (maybe 1 to 2 meg?). Half way done.

I do not know if this will be fixed in the coming patch (which makes this a moot point); if not, then this would be a good semi-official fan MOD to straighten out the german/english text display, especially for n00bs to the game when it releases in North America, and new gamers get frustrated not knowing german. Printing out a page would do it; but I would rather have the data in-game reference.

What do you think? and will this forum host the file Text MOD?

Another change is when an item is given to you -it only says item given and not what exactly it is. You can find the tags and put in more detail text to display in window instead of guessing looking in your inventory. Also, I like to display what detail info on items I am picking up instead of generic 'potion' or 'ring'.

PS I noticed you can script in more dragons and make them tougher if you find them too easy. Later if it is alright, I would like to MOD the game to balance some things out via script and constants changes in code -err there goes modifying some hardcoded files EULA I must watch out for; I would just have them as whole replace files marked as fan MODs for G2 to enhance the gameplay.

OT I am waiting on my new upgrade to P4 2.6 Ghz and DDR400 new mother board and the 1024 RAM. My that old 440BX at 733 MHz is just slowing down too much in town to enjoy . It ran hard for years...I am bored and quit playing until I finish my upgrade to get a decent frame rate.

Last edited by Xerxes712 on Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:28 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

SOrry for the bump, but does not anyone care about a fan made patch to fix the German text bug apearing in the log book for hunting and alchemy knowldege skills?

Since ther are NO MODs for this game; and this IS something the PB and one of the coders wanted; it seems prudent to do it.

I do not know if this will ever make into a patch. Of course, we experts know what it says. But it can be confusing to a newbie and everything small that can be down to fix buglets will only help to stop annoyance and make more satisfied sells for the game = more Gothic 3.

No one has any commnet or thoughts? Am I black label now? I told everyone in USA where to get the game early, at least ONE person reply to post. I spent 4 hours correcting the code would tell me how serious people want a fun experience for the game even more. It is not illegal for EULA. It would atleast put ONE MOD for files to download section. THX for your thoughts.
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:38 am
Ragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

"You have my sword..." ;-)))

Seems like you´re in a little need of heads and thumbs up, so, well done my Persian warlord from the Holy Roman Empire of American Nation!

Though not actually depending on a correction of german language remnants in the english version, i´d strongly assume it will be very welcome if presented to the Gothic gaming community!
Esp. those groups mentioned by you (newbies and people less-skilled in foreign language) will deeply appreciate it - even when they´re apparently too busy to recognize their need in the moment, due to being too occupied by the game and possible other (mainly gameplay, some bugs) issues with it.

On top of it, getting some edges rounded, i.e. eliminating some minor annoyances/inconveniences like the rather vague descriptions when receiving or finding icons and focusing them and therefore obsoleting the often time consuming inventory check is always a good thing i´d also wish for the german version. (*sigh* )

So if you already got encouragement by the devs themselves indirectly (NicoDE, yeah! ) then i´d say go ahead!
Mayyyyybe, it´d be advisable to yet contact the Piranhas directly once before.
Can´t help you on the legal issues that might be involved here, so consulting them could bring you on the safe side.

As far as messing with the balancing (dragon´s might and stuff), you better should separate this from your other planned fixes.
`Cause, while the former will certainly be of common interest and find use as a general feature with most players, the latter perhaps poses rather a special interest for a lower number of them (just like you cared for noobs, there are also `less talented´ players or those who aren´t char maxing by all means for whom the current difficulty of G II is already challenging enough as it is).

My 2 €cents and Good roll further on,
Ragon
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:59 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe well if its some kind of mod then its probably legal why should it be illegal its ur mod but offcorse first ask PBs and i would say indeed we would need it some ppl dont know much about german language and all that
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:57 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I’m all for it also…I could even help. I’m not a coder but I do work for a software company and know a guy or two that would give me a hand. I could help in creating or altering text. Some of the translations are a little awkward and could use some tweaking. Personally; I would like to see the challenges increase with your avatar. I just finished Chap. 4 and by the time I got to the dragons I was able to kill them with ease. Dex 100 w/o potions, rings or amulets & bow at 60% w/Oak Bow.

If you want a hand just PM me…I have a lot of ideas. It would be nice to get a group of people together to pool & sort ideas and then set out to create a Gothic 2 MOD. I think Gothic is one of the few games that no one creates MODs for.

Sylvio
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:44 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

heheh why not ppl did pretty many mods for Gothic 1 and good onez
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:07 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Really? I’ll have to check them out…Put my foot in my mouth with that one.

Sylvio
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:48 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yeah a Mod to fix the german text (even savegames maybe) would be nice. Also something to allow you to make all the chapter5/6 creatures harder would be nice. maybe are there any flags to set on NPCs like Diego, Lee to allow them to accompany you in chapter 6? So you can take them along with you and fight the MODified monsters which are 3x the strength...

Yeah definitely some mods for G2 would be nice, whatever you want to change. Even change the clothing on the female townspeople, haha.
Hopefully for G3 they'll add more female models, i think there's only 1 in G2. Also how about adding some kiddy models! So you can chase little kids around if you want to.
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:54 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
heheh why not ppl did pretty many mods for Gothic 1 and good onez

Where can I check out some of these MODs your talking about? This site only seem to have tutorials. Or I can’t find them. I am going to copy the scripting tutorial to a word doc and check it out on some of the G2 files. See if I can figure it out.

I like the idea of the rug rats running around. Create a few of them and have them follow you around every time you enter the city begging for money. Remember how Mud used to run up to you and interrupt you in the middle of a conversation or when you were trying to get some shut eye?

Sylvio
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:38 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

To make the creature just harder to kill is rather easy. It is using an memory editor and debug to step throught the EXE if it is there and find the spots where the game stops and starts. The game.dat file contains alot of the in-game data also.

Since there are no cheap and easy decompilers for this, I use a dis-assembler to put into that rather odd machine language object code is pretty straight forward, then finds the constants, use hex editor, then alter the values for monster and NPC health, armor, skills, and stats.

The patch will alter the EXE I assume and other files. I wish I knew what it will exactly contain; I do not know. The patch will change the files and I would have to alter the file over again; since it will be a different lenght.

The way to use my altered file MOD is to replace the original totally with the new altered one. Example, English Gotic2.exe version 1.31 is patched another version, say 2.0; I would just alter another file and use that for that version after you apply the patch.

This way is the most easy, but the whole file zipped is much bigger because I am just replacing the whole file and not just individual spots of code in the file. Instead of a 'patch' at 20 Kb the whole file zipped is 1 to 2 Meg. The EXE I have not messed with yet.

So I am not actualy writing a patch program to alter the original code; I am making a modified whole new file to replace the whole file as is; just back up original file. For changing monster stats, I would need to wait for the release of the final patch because each version would require a new modified file. This way I am not breaking the EULA agreement -as long as I put in the disclamimer, blah, blah and it is for personal use only.

I felt that the game just needed that extra boost to really put it up another notch and smooth some issues out. I read peoples feedback and the end chapter are rather simple. Of course, these files are intended for the more hard core gamer who is at a high level and want a challenge.

I am sorry if I came off a little upset, everyone is proabably still playing the game. I really appreciate the feedback to know where to go with this. I am for now, just modify the game.dat version 1.31 UK for now to clean up the text. A small but nice little MOD. After we hear and know more about the patch, then we can alter especially the dragons and maybe put more in game lower minions in certain areas via script line commands, after they finalize it.

I do not know how much the expansion will alter the files in 6 months; but it would be simple to adjust the files and put out another one.

Keep feedback coming in for ideas within reason to make G2 in your opinion even better. I am still waiting for my upgrade so I got the time right now. What is it YOU would like to see to make Gothic 2 more challenging or altered script behavior? Sorry if I can not do voice acting; the Speech MOD would be huge and I need people to do it, I am not a voice actor.

What would you like to see to make this an even better game? Data constants are easy to make NPC and monsters harder in certain clever way; then more involved script behaviors such as dependency that will not break it, that is a whole field from dialog option ( I want to make so that I can pickpocket even the generic NPC and not just the named ones only once; and change how the experience is given out). Also make some more things on NPC pickpocket-able than just thier money bag. Even regenerating items (food and some coin) and some more monsters to kill in later chapters. Another is how monsters react; Stuff like that.

How about magic fire arrows for rangers? Yes, I want to cross the lines and blend the three guild together some more like the Palidin class has done. Say a ranger with special fire arrow would do fire magic damge on a hit but it would cost him mana so he would not be near what a mage could do; but at least he has some ability to do it. Remember the monsters will be tougher in my MODs, alot to explore..

***Yeah a Mod to fix the german text (even savegames maybe) would be nice.***

That is already done and ready to upload for download for version 1.31 only.

***Also something to allow you to make all the chapter5/6 creatures harder would be nice. maybe are there any flags to set on NPCs like Diego, Lee to allow them to accompany you in chapter 6? So you can take them along with you and fight the MODified monsters which are 3x the strength... ***

Yes, that can be done, but the PB upcoming patch will change the EXE and game.dat and what other files; it would be prudent to alter the final constants and 'flags' so to speak after its release to save doing it all over again.

Do you want what monsters to have and what combination of armor, inate resistance, hit points, damage STR and DEX, mana reserves, speed of attack, what spells they can cast, combat and ranged skill, etc.?

How about alter damage on two-handed swords for the dragon hunter class to boost the damage to really make them shine? Careful balance of minimum requirements and chapter available is a must so not to 'ruin' one handed weapons early usefulness and for other classes STR limitations..lots of ideas...how about DEX based melee weapons do 'arrow' pierce type damage some more DEX swords, also I want to make AXE huge damage but slower?
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:46 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Oh I got a marvelous mod idea... configure a key which, when pressed, causes the NPC you are targeting to DROP their clothing/armor, so they're in their underwear... bahahaha. Same as pressing 'O' in marvin mode, dropping armor/clothing, switching back to PC. Bahaha.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:18 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am playing a ranger and have noticed a MAJOR flaw in battle…well several actually. The first and most important is the fact that you can still shoot arrows while being attacked. No way in hell would you be able to do that…it takes time and concentration to load, set and shoot an arrow. I think using ranged weapons should only be allowed while they are NOT being attacked. That’s why their called Ranged Weapons. The way it is set up now, I just keep firing away and hope that I out-survive my opponent (game exploit). I also think there should be degradation in accuracy when using a crossbow past a certain range if there isn’t already (don’t know, only using bow in G2).

I don’t know if this is a bug but I have noticed that when I battle with Orks that the fire ball conjured up by the Ork Mages go right through the tents/trees. Now that I think about it, it is probably a flaw in the physic of the game. Fire & Ice Golems do the same thing. Their fire balls or ice blocks go through trees but not rocks.

It would be nice to make the Orks smarter, i.e. when being attacked by a ranged weapon they would hide there by forcing you to either find a better vantage point to use you bow or move in for melee. While I’m at, I have noticed that my opponent, no matter what it is, gets stuck a lot. I don’t know what causes it but I would like to see (for what it’s worth) some kind of fuzzy logic put into the game (may not be possible) that would prevent the object from staying in the same place. It is far too easy (another game exploit) to stand on a ledge and pick off your opponent when he is stuck right under you. Example; I was running away from a Stone Golem and jumped of a small ledge (took some damage). I ran onto the bridge and turned around and he was stuck on the edge of the trail running like a maniac. So I moved up a little bit and just fired arrows at him until he died. What was perplexing was the fact that when a hit registered, he took a step backwards and instead of moving to a different spot, he went right back to the same spot. It’s just like the skeletons that lose their grip on their Claymores when they take a hit.

I have more but I just can’t think of them right now…

From a comic side, how about a Blazing Saddles routine…you remember…everyone is sitting around the fire eating beans…

Sylvio
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:27 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Edit all the weapons and everything's stats.

I figured out how to edit the all the in game weapon stats such as damage, type, cost, min ability requirements, range/reach of weapon, etc. It is real easy to hex edit the game.dat file to change these values. I will post a tutorial in a new thread later.

I made a palidin sword with 255 damage and require only 10 strenght to wield, and it works. I made it cost only 10 gold. I used for testing combat game mechanics. New character with only 10 strenght. He can use it.

I do notice weapon generally do the SAME damage to all things if it is not a critical hit. I am hitting an easy enemy and a knight and still only do about 10 points damage. That was that way before I messed with this. This confirms it. You can have a Uber sword 255 damage and only very little damage almost the same as a plain dagger or tree branch with only 10% training.

Now if I get that critcal hit (new it is 10% or 5%) I DO HIT for Strength PLUS sword damage minus the target armor. At 256 the target is half dead Palidin Knight (hitpoints 400 and armor of 80 with one critical hit. Normal hit 'damage' TAKES 40 hits with a super sword to kill target knight; I even striped thier armor off with marvin mode and it is the same (unless thier armor is innate). This is kind of a bug, normal hits DO NOT follow Weapon damage - Armor.

Your fancy heavy hit sword is for nothing (there is no 255 - armor) hit going on with a NORMAL hit -they are all the same 10 to 20 points.

ONLY CRITICAL HITS DO ANY REAL DAMAGE AS SAID Str + Weapon Damage only for 256> I will do more testing but this is what I find. Is this a bug? My guy is only 10 strenght new and I made this MOD sword to show this bug in full glory...

I need to test more to make sure what is going on here.

This is even with the normal non-mod weapons in game if you look carefully; I noticed it but was not sure about it. All weapon do almost the same damge on a normal hit? Maybe the target armor effects it in a different way. Something odd is going on.

Anyway weapons and ranged weapons, armor etc, all can be modified now; I am looking for the data for speed of attack and dex/str type. Long 2H swords really do have longer reach and better bow and crossbows shoot further and more accurate innate. Bows shoot about 13% faster. Training makes more accurate and bows do shoot further and hit target farther away one for one.

I will post somewhere an in depth well written tutorial on how to MOD all the constants in this game easy with Hex Editor and where in the code to do it and what to look for even if they patch it.

I hope to put some balance back into the game and make monsters tougher also, along with more varied armors, rings, etc. The game will be harder; but you can have more variety > more fun to game to beat them with. MOD it any way you want.

@
*** While I’m at, I have noticed that my opponent, no matter what it is, gets stuck a lot. I don’t know what causes it but I would like to see (for what it’s worth) ***

Yep they do get stuck. The AI wants to close on you instead of pathing up to reach you, they will run into the rock or get stuck behind a table; need s a expansive routine to tell AI if it is not moving, then try to back up and go another direction; even alow a 'jump' similar to hiting the F8 key in Marvin mode to unstick you when you get stuck. The AI can be tweaked; but I can not yet modify the EXE which is really encryted good (at least i have not been able to decompile it yet). I wil leave that alone for now. Plus messing with the EXE is rather touchy subject with developers. Some people wil steal code from others and these things are encryted good so not to decompile it. Disassemblers will work, but are very tough to work with, no major rewrite of code.
It's even called 'nicode'; now I know where the nickname came from ('ni' in German is close to 'nichts'= nothing; and I thought it was something to do with nicotine cigarette; they guy is smoking a cigarette in post picture). NicoDE tough stuff to crack. I can change variable constants easy enough. Right now I am only changing stuff not EXE. to avoid trouble.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:18 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

This is very cool…thanks for all the work your putting into this Xerxes712. Is there a way to level up the creatures as you level up? This may be an easer way to go for just making the critters harder to kill as you progress through the game…what the game really needs is a progression switch that you can set when you start a new game. It would automatically alter the object stats as you level up.

When I finish the game I will start to really look at the scripting tut. It looks like something that is within my bounds to do and altering NPC habits and quests would put a nice spin on the game.

What about the voicing…Would that be hard to do? I would like to be able to change/add new voices and conversations to G2 also. I for one don’t subscribe to the fact that one has to be a pro to make sound bites.

This thread should be moved to spoilers…don’t want to piss anyone off as we talk about features of the game in one form or the other.

P.S. What about limiting the use of weapons…relating to the ranger situation.

Sylvio
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:09 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes all that would be nice, I am only doing one thing at a time right now. It is better to finish one project at a time than to have several half done.

I do not know yet how to level creatures with chapter changes. Right now I finished my first Text bug MOD and making the Tutorial to MOD weapons and stuff, and creatures. Interested people can poll in on what needs to be done. We can all agree dragons are weak and monsters in chapter 5 and 6. All of them will get a general boost. Different monsters appear in different chapters and merchant sell more items with chapter changes (that is where you could level up creatures even more trigger). Alot to think about to make the game harder, but more cool stuff to use to make a good balance.

They do not have a MOD forum thread here per say; I do not know where to post. Maybe they can make one sticky for us Modders. And a place to upload here. Voice data takes alot of space and probably would not get hosted, too big. Easy to do though. I am glad to see interest, I believe more wil join as soon as they played through the game several times and get bored for a real challenge. Even make more quest, same engine as G1 almost.

Also want to make pickpocket work for all NPC, not just the named ones, and change the way experince is given out, plus experience for opening locked chest so makes the skill more worth it.

I did put in a SUPER creature to mimic homage to Mud from G1. Do not fear the Reaper, but fear Willard; be very afraid of the Rat King, he will chase you around and is very tough to kill without cheating, and never gives up (think Mud crossed with the Terminator reincarnated in Rat form to exact his revenge).

Rather funny and keeps you on your toes. He roams freely and only attacks you. I will hide a scroll of dispell to rid him in the game if he is too much for people. He strikes without warning and you must run away fast until you can kill him... There is a puzzle to quest to rid him even if you are not strong by clever puzzle of alchemy. I have three ways to rid the land of this pestilence! I want to keep that a surprise...
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next