PB has redefined their game's namesake
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

PB has redefined their game's namesake

It's been discussed before: Why do they call the saga Gothic? A good portion of the game's contents cannot really be described as being 'gothic' in terms of design or ambiance. As some of you know, I have struggled with this question myself more than once. After all, we can probably think of quite a few games out there that seem more 'gothic' than "Gothic."

After playing G2 today, however, I have changed my viewpoint. I now think that the team of Piranha Bytes has suceeded in making the name fit the mold of the game, rather than the game fit the mold of the name. (I just realized I'm talking in riddles and therefore living up to MY namesake! sorry.)

What I mean is, that Gothic contains no flying butresses or gargoyles, no black ravens, no vampires, no bleached pale and angst riddled characters, etc.... and yet contains everything that is the opposite of 'gothic' - vibrant sunny days, lush landscape, occasional humor, and in the add-on even Mayan architecture. And yet somehow, when I entered the swamp located in Jarkendar, it all made sense. What changed?

I'm not quite sure, but what I did notice was that the music in the add-on seems more... sensual, mystical if you will. Another thing is the landscape is very mysterious, and exubes a creepiness in some areas that was lacking in the original version. These and other little details so slight, somehow make trudging through a swamp and rumaging around Mayan looking tombs "gothic." And that's exactly the point I'm trying to make - the designers are so good that they managed to make a 'gothic' game out of things completely un-gothic.

Most of us are aware of the rumors that a large portion of G3 will take place in a desert very arabesque. How can you make a game about a desert and call it 'Gothic'? It's almost as if PB has said, let's take it a step further by creating a desert and still manage to pull off a 'gothic' mood. This is one Gothic fan who decided today that we can put full confidence in their ability to do just that. Piranha Bytes team, you guys are awesome.
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:35 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yups i allready posted almost at the very beginning when gothic 2 addon went out about the addon musics they were really awesome the music contained indeed some mystic things , also like those tracks were really really ancient . Very nicely done songs in addon
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:59 pm
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Remember too, that the root of the word "Gothic" means "barbaric." The first Gothic, being set in a male dominated prison colony, can be considered barbaric when you think of the matters presented to you: There is no law - You can turn on pretty much anyone if you've got the gall (and do whatever it is you want to them) - You possess the freedom to make all decisions, good or evil, to finish the story.

IE: You might take pity on the annoying Mudd in G1 and spare him, but hard greed and the lack of witnesses might drive you to murder the intelligent (and less annoying) Cavalorn in the woods for his wares.

Gothic brought out darkness in me. One example is Lee. Even as much as I liked Lee throughout Gothic 1, I found myself turning on him when we were alone to get that axe of his... (although the exquisite mood the game creates made me feel guilty aftwards) In many cases (like mine), our hero is purely chaotic neutral - not "declared at the beginning," but hard earned and player-personality based chaotic neutrality.

Pretty barbaric huh?
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:33 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

I hope it keeps the same stile and in gothic3.
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:46 pm
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by patriot
I hope it keeps the same stile and in gothic3.

You got that right.
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:42 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well spoken Rubix3, you're right, those OstroGOTHS and VisGOTHS were pretty barbaric, huh? I was mainly contrasting the game with how the term is currently viewed, rather than what it actually means. (and it was 3am and I was just rambling more than anything.) But I like your viewpoint on the first game. Wow, you turned on Lee just to get his axe?! I'm glad we not facing each other in an on-line game or something - you sound pretty ruthless!
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:46 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I did the same, nice axe of Lee, used it the whole time once I got it, and Orik his axe is nice to see so I took his one too
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:05 am
LlamaGod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

'the way it's viewed currently' shouldnt apply since the people use make the term 'what its viewed' are using it wrong.
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:42 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

lol yeah if there would be an online gothic u should run with a mirror around so u see everything what is happenind behind ur back maybe Rubix 3 wants ur sword or axe again
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:48 pm
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Jabberwocky
Well spoken Rubix3, you're right, those OstroGOTHS and VisGOTHS were pretty barbaric, huh? I was mainly contrasting the game with how the term is currently viewed, rather than what it actually means. (and it was 3am and I was just rambling more than anything.) But I like your viewpoint on the first game. Wow, you turned on Lee just to get his axe?! I'm glad we not facing each other in an on-line game or something - you sound pretty ruthless!

Yeah man, I hear ya. I agree that it feels a little ironic playing the game with it's title at times - especially running around in such a beautifully rendered world. Such attention to detail contradicts anything barbaric or violent at times...

Lately I have been ruthless. I don't know what my problem is. I'm the type that executes all the scientists/doctors in half life. Or beating on the corpses of NPCs in any game that allows you to.

It hurt me though... Beating on Lee... It was quite a moment. There's a few things I've done in Gothic that I've felt "guilty" (per se) about. What a game. At least he got back up and took it like a man right?

quote:
Originally posted by Jabberwocky
lol yeah if there would be an online gothic u should run with a mirror around so u see everything what is happenind behind ur back maybe Rubix 3 wants ur sword or axe again

Muah ha ha haaaaaa......
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:03 pm
alexpetersmith
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

you know I just realised reading this post that Gothic is the only game that can make you feel guilty about your actions within the game. i have never played another game that has managed that... surpose it comes from the depth of the characters and storyline.

sorry i know this has nothing to do with the original post
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:15 pm
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Same here man. I also remember the characters in Gothic like they were in a good book.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:19 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

why not like in real life ? when i played gothic 1 i remember onze i wished the world would be like Gothic 1 was and those people inside would be real cos they acted very seal inside the game
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:47 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Rubix³
Same here man. I also remember the characters in Gothic like they were in a good book.

Yes. They are quite memorable. That's exactly why I started writing the story as if it were a book. Still working on chapter 5....
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:56 am
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

That's awesome man, I'd love to read it when you're done. Are you going to post it? It's so cool that you guys are so passionate about this game. I love this board.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:43 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next