Party
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
sharp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Party

Hey, just wondering if this party is decent to make it through the game for my first time.

Human Fighter
Human Valkyrie
Human Monk
Elf Ranger
Human Gadgeteer
Faerie Bishop

I was thinking that maybe I have not enough magic power (just a Bishop) should I have taken another magic class or is a Bishop enough for end game?
Post Sat May 10, 2003 5:51 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It's very do-able. As you noted, you're weak in magic. Specifically, you'll be weak in the mage book since that's the only book where you don't have a hybrid to back up your bishop. If you have your bishop emphasize the mage and priest spellbooks (wizardry and divinity realms), it will help. Another option would be to swap in a bard for your gadgeteer. The bard gets instruments that act like spells early in the game when your bishop will need the most help. It really comes down to personal taste.

It's a solid party, and since you know where your weaknesses are you can compensate. Play away. If it doesn't pan out for some reason, you can always restart.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat May 10, 2003 6:15 pm
sharp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok thanks, I'm gonna play it out ^^
Post Sat May 10, 2003 6:19 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

IF you're concerned about mage backup for your bishop, switch your fighter to a samurai. Second time through I used a similar party (with a ninja instead of a ranger - but for your first party you want the ranger instead of the ninja). With so many fighter types, you have the luxury of developing your samurai into a good caster.

The monk and valkyrie will definitely become good casters in their own right; the ranger has potential similar to the samurai which means if you want the alchemy you'll have to work extra at it. The difference in the hybrids is just that you'll probably end up using the defensive spells of the valk (or lord) and monk more than the offensive spells of the samurai and ranger and ninja.

As to the bard v. gadgie debate, it's a matter of personal taste - it's a very close call. A bard probably starts off stronger, with the gadgie being stronger by the end. Or maybe not, but having played both that's MHO. Both are fun, good classes with room to develop them differently according to your pariy's needs - my gagdgie would have slaughtered my bard in a sword fight, but then again I didn't develop my bard for that purpose.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 6:58 pm
otter
One of Us

My problem with Gads is they need to go to 2 different places to get components for most of their good stuff; Bards only need to go to one.
(and casters don't have to go anywhere). But they're both fun!
Post Sat May 10, 2003 10:46 pm