New To NOTR But Not Gothic 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
DrumAce
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

New To NOTR But Not Gothic 2

So I just got Gothic 2 Gold. I have to say I was a tad dissappointed that I couldnt use any of my old Gothic 2 saves as I played threw both as a Paladin and a Mage.

Now I had figured NOTR was an Add-on to the End of the game. However I started playing again and noticed a few new things like the Pirate and such. I guess My question is this, How do I play it, is there a new area at the end of Gothic 2 or did they just add content to the entire game to make it fresh?

Its been a long time since I ran threw Gothic 2 and I must say I forgot alot, But I quickly remembered why its my Favorite Single Player RPG. Because there is no game out there (Morrowind is close and Oblivion could be closer) With the Depth and personality that this game has.

I did Find out that i made a few mistakes already and i havent even gotten to the city yet thanks to a walkthrough thats on the net for NOTR. Its a Shame its only for mercanaries as I Always like to play a Paladin the First time threw a game.

Any Advice anyone can give would be helpful as It looks like Im starting over again
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:34 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Throw away the walkthrough!
You are a G2 veteran, so what are you afraid of?

TNotR adds a new world to chapter 2 and 50% new content to chapter 1, plus hundreds of small improvements. Read my review for detailed explanations.

YouŽll be surprised how much better G2 Gold is.

The only advice you need: DonŽt waste skill points.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:54 am
DrumAce
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Read my review for detailed explanations.

Would Love to read it, is it on the main page or in the forums somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind Found it Very Well written and helpful too thanks
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:07 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Giving any detailed advices ruins the fun, so i'm not doing it.

But one general advice is good to keep in mind. Think twice before spending learning points. Consider what kind of character you would like to be and once you have decided it, walk down that path bravely. Don't try to be jack of all trades because in gothic-world it just makes your life hell - especially with NOTR addon

Also don't use stone tablets or other permanent bonuses too early because every learning point costs a lot more after certain level. So if your main atribute is strenght, there is no sense using permanent strenght potions before 90. However if you don't plan to use bow, you don't need to plan much when you find the permanent dexterity-bonuses.

The levels are:

1-30 1lp
31-60 2lp
61-90 3lp
91-120 4lp
121-150 5lp

And the most important advice is to have fun
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:54 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Strict planing requires to know what comes next and you don't. Well perhaps for many things if you have already played g2 but otherwise, you don't know the weapons available, you don't know how much bonus will come/you'll find, you don't know what protections come and so on.

I read many advices about mages: That absolutely no lp should be waste, that mana should be rise to 90 by LP only, that LP should be put there and there. I just played a fighter mage, put 15 LP in mana in the whole game, put lp in str and dex, did many small lp errors, after a tough begining before becoming mage, I got some tough fights (thanks too easy is boring) but rule all of them and last 2 chapter was just too easy. I feel the g2 veteran players see that in a wrong way, trying to reproduce char like they was in G2 or do uber characters as it was possible in G2. But is all of that required to rule the game?

If I had an advice for the first play of NOTR: To play a fighter mage and you just need some care in lp use, try have some lp available and no char optimization/walkthrough reading is required.

All of that lp cost vs bonus cost is a total design failure in NOTR. I read a mod fix that by not taking in count the bonuses when computing lp cost, that is perhaps the best choice if this mod works well.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:05 pm