Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
skill points and ore
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread

I just started and am in the old camp. I have spoken to everyone there. The only quest completed is the Whistler Fist sword quest. How and where do I get skill points and ore. I had 2 ore and they were taken by Bloodwyn. I am close to getting to my first level up.

Once I do get some skill points and ore, what sklls or attributes(STR, DEX, etc) should I invest in?

Is there a good place to go this early to get a lot of experience?
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:12 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

First you must speak to Thorus (in gate to castle in town) and Diego (in hut near Thorus).
Diego will give you quest called "Test of faith". Go around OC (Old camp) and speak with everybody with specific name. If you do it, you will certainly get more quests (they are in your journal under ....to Old Camp).
After you finish all "before-joining" quests in Old Camp, go to New Camp or Sect Camp and do those "before-joining" quests there. After that choose your camp and join it.
Try it. If you will not be able to do it, post again and we will give you more concrete advices. But I do not want to spoil your game .
There is also link to JemyMs FAQ and walktrough around in this forum. You can use it, but it can also spoil your game.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:17 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

And how to invest your exp. points? It is difficult. There are many ways to go.
At first, it is good to choose your "main" way - fighter, ranger or mage. It is not absolute. You will be able to be good ranger and master mage later in game etc. Because you will have a lot of exp. to spend, but it is useful to make this decision on begining.
- If you want to be ranger, learn bow and later crowwbow and also partly 1h weapons. And invest also in dexterity.
- If you want to be mage, save your exp. points - you will need it later, but you can learn bow - it is useful for mages.
(70 saved exp. points will be perfect - you will need them when you will be probably between 7 - 12 level).
- If you want to be fighter, learn 1h weapons and later 2h weapons. And invest in strenght.
But it is not absolut. You may want to learn bow and 1h etc.
There are also other knowledges you can learn (and invest exp. points into them).
F. E.:
- picklocking (very good, because you can open locked chests and there are real treasures in them)
- pickpocketing (not very useful in my opinion)
- snaking
- hunting etc.
- acrobatics (you can reach places, which you will not be able to reach normaly)
You must choose your way on your own.

And some datas for you calculations.
Average players reach 30 - 35 level. But if you really want to, you can reach 50 level without cheating or using bugs (Gorath posted, that his hero was level 52 on the end of this game). It means you will have 300 - 350 exp. (max 500) points to spend (every level = 10 exp. points). Think about it and spend them wisely.

Good luck

Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:29 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have JemyMs FAQ and have many unfinshed quests listed. According to him, it seems like just by talking to everyone I should have gained a couple of levels BUT I haven't. I need money to buy better weapon and some armor.

Where can I go to fight with the beginning weapons that I can survive? I have the other quests but they all involve fighting and I don't have the weaponry and armor to do more than the beginning molerats and juvenile scavengers

How do I earn ore. From the creatures I killed none of them had any money on them. Drax requires 50-100 for each of his hunting skills. Which hunting skill is best?

If I don't know what I want to be yet, what is the best way to use your skill points: STR, DEX, or a weapon skill

Should I do hunting or STR/DEX/WPN skills first? Or perhaps lockpicking?

Please advise.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:42 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Ok, some more concrete advices.

Molerats and scavengers are probably only creatures you will be able to fight in begining of this game.
There are several quests in which you dont need to fight (or to win fight ). Here are some of them:
- to impress leader of arena (I do not remember his name) you need to fight with one of his fighters (with this from new camp)), you will surely loss, but it is right way, you must loss
- to make your test of faith, you must go to Old Mine, if you will be cautious and you will snake around creatures, you will not need to fight
- to do quest about Nek, you must fight several molerats, but it is not difficult, because there are guards near and you can run there (Nek lies in cave near Old Camp)
- to do Thorus quest about that boy from New Camp, you do not need to fight, you just folow him to New camp (he wants to leads you there) and you must say to him that Thorus is wishing his death, than return to Old Camp and speak with Thorus, you will be able to say to him that this boy will never occur in Old Camp again
- to perform quest about ingredients (cook in Old camp with big kettle), you just need to cellect several things
and so on
I do not want to spoil this game for you...
This quests give you enough exp. points to improve your fighting skills, so you will be able to make more difficult ones.
And one more advice - creatures are respawning every chapter, but like this: in cave are 4 molerats, after you winish 1st chapter, there will respawn 2 more, so there will be 6 of them, etc. So you do not have to torture you self with killing several creatures, when you will be able to kill them later in far more easire way and there is no danger that you will lose some exp. points...
Good luck
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:09 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

You should have found 1 if not 2 swords before you even set foot into the Old Camp and you're wearing the armor that you're goning to get for awhile.
Talk To Everyone at the Old Camp! Well, maybe don't talk to Mud yet; unless you've had some rice schnapps and the moonlight is sparkling off his eyes, and....well, that's another story.
Ore is to be found everywhere. You're going to have so much ore that you won't be able to spend it.
Talk to fingers. Sneak around. Look at chests.
A little strength never hurt anyone.
You will decide eventually which camp to choose. After you visit each and talk to the people to understand their beliefs then decide. Strong arguments favoring any camp. You have alot of adventuring in front of you.
Try taking on a young scavenger. Take your sword and cram it up his arse.

[ This Message was edited by: Max Killen on 2002-01-03 12:10 ]
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:09 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes and if you will speak with Fingers, and you will learn picklocking, it will impress him, he will put in a word for you and you will earn some exp. points. Then you will be able to open almost every chest...
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:12 pm

Thanks for the advise. I will go try those quests.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:39 pm

I have done all the quest now around the old camp and am getting lost trying to find the old mine. I run into wolves which detroy me instantly. In trying to avoid them I got completely lost.

I have the map and have been leaving by the north gate. Is that correct? Than where do I go. If I go through the forest as the walkthorugh says there are packs of wolves.

Should I just forget this now and go with Mordrag to the new camp.

Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:08 pm

XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

if you go to the other camps, than you can do quest for them to.
increases your lvl.
There is a easier way to the old mine.
You can get a map from the cartmaker that tells you where the old mine is.
From the new camp you can get to the old mine to, you will only have to take out some small animals. No wolfs
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:23 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-01-03 15:08, Anonymous wrote:
I have done all the quest now around the old camp and am getting lost trying to find the old mine. I run into wolves which detroy me instantly. In trying to avoid them I got completely lost.

I have the map and have been leaving by the north gate. Is that correct? Than where do I go. If I go through the forest as the walkthorugh says there are packs of wolves.

Should I just forget this now and go with Mordrag to the new camp.

If you follow the map you will go through a natural tunnel of sorts (right after crossing the bridge and falling the road to the left (the two hunters will be to your right). Instead of going through the natural tunnel go over it and to the left of it slightly, and you should avoid the wolves there. Watch out though, there is a hole in the ground over the tunnel and you will fall to your death in you walk over it.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:27 pm