Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
is gamespot nuts??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

You might notice that AO got 7.6 from them at the time of release. I never really valued their opinion before that, but after that it became very clear that the rating was directly proportional to amount of advertising dollars spent.
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 8:20 am

Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

lol!!! to gamespot:
it seems that the publisher(or the maker) are really forced to !pay! for a good review lol
And PB didnt that!

Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 11:15 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Regretfully, Gamespot is one of the more popular websites; and for them to give a bad review for Gothic only means one thing, lost revenue. Face it folks, it all comes down to money. Without popular response to a game, the developer WILL NOT publish similiar games; and some of the smaller companies could go out of business. I think Gothic is a graphically pretty game, the is a weak story line, it's gets dull in spots, exciting in others. It has it good points and bad points. I like playing it and I do not agree with gamespot at all on their review
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 12:27 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Max Killen
----------
Weak story plot? =o)

What is a non-weak story plot for you?

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 7:20 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:

On 2001-12-20 21:40, Anonymous wrote:
Wake up guys!! You love the game, fine. Someone does not, should be fine as well. Don't deny the truth and stop being too blind fans. I disagree in somewhat about gamespot review, but it had seeds of truth that you deny. I have EXCACTLY the same configuration as sleeper, and I DO have frame rate problems(interesting eh?). Nobody can either deny that the controls are deep from ass, Althought someone may live with it without being bothered too much.

I've only played the demo since it was hell finding the english game in europe.(finally found a UK store that had it and it's on the way)
To me the controls weren't bad,so I can't agree with that,it may be that I'm not a RPG'er and therefore aren't used to "how it should be".
Granted I didn't get it when I first started the demo,but when I read the readme (nothing I usually do) I got 'em quick and have no problems with them.
I do however notice slowdowns,so I won't disagree with that,this might also be my history as a gamer since I'm a FPS'er I notice every little dip...
My specs T-bord 1.2Ghz,Radeon 64 Meg DDR,256 Meg RAM,Win 98SE.
But drops in framerate is very subjective,I know as a fact that I can notice them where friends who are more casual players doesn't.
So you'd need to realize that Sleeper may simply not notice his dips and therefore his point isn't wrong,even though you and I do notice them...
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 8:03 pm
albundy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

they gave Outcast like 10 out of 10... that game was horrible i think... also they gave return to wolfeinstein a great score, that gave was a bore, also they gave like 6 out of 10 to game called Hitman Codename 47, i thought that gave deserved 11/10, etc...
i dont think many people care about their official reviews, the customers cumulative review count the most in there.
Post Mon Dec 24, 2001 8:49 am
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Wolfenstein 10 of 10???
This game is really shit!!!
Gamespot is SHIT man!
Weird, corupt guys!
Post Mon Dec 24, 2001 9:53 am

They didn't give Wolfenstein 10/10. Somewhere between 8 and 9 I think. Which is still pretty high, but they were mainly responding to the multiplayer game.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 10:05 am

Chewriter
Village Leader
Village Leader

Gaderath: You have school, and I have work. I took some vacation time to play this game. I've played so many games I've filled two closets, floor to celing. I think Gothic is the best game I've ever played. There have been others that were better for particular things (Fighting, or questing) but none have had the whole gambit at this level. You're not overwhlemed with 16 trillion spells like Baldur's gate, I love the hostile NPCs in this , the landscape. The best. And I'd also like to add that having this site, the forums and fellow Gothic addicts is also great.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:26 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Game reviews are like beauty contests. Sometimes the judges pick a winner and you wonder what they've been looking at.
Some games that have been given 10's I have found boring, Daggerfall at first was given terrible reviews; as well as Ultima9 while I enjoyed both games. Go figure
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:49 pm

Personally, while I think this game is actually pretty good now that I've played it for a while, I was really put off at first because I simply did not know how to play this game. This game is not very intuitive at all. This isn't so bad but when you couple it with an extremly useless manual it can really cause problems.

Despite the bugs in the game, Pirahna Bytes deserve extensive kudo's for making this game. On the other hand, they deserve to be drawn and quartered for the manual they supplied, I really don't know why they even bothered printing it. Perhaps they did a better job with the german version, but didn't bother putting the time into making one for the english-speaking market?

I didn't buy this game, I pulled it out of the trash where my little brother had thrown it in frustration. Unlike my brother, I'm more experienced at gaming, and knew enough to go online and get the important information from places like this forum.

I imagine that Game Spot's reviewer simply did not play this game because he didn't know how, but was too embarrased to admit it.

I can't really hold that against him considering the problems I had, I think if anything this review should enforce how vital proper documentation is.

Just my 0.2 cents...
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:14 pm

mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

MY wonder is ,If your NOt playing Great games like GOTHIC, Then what the hell kinds of games Are people Playing ?

i mean You can only play them others for so long, and then you must move on .

how can anyone dismiss a game like this ?
i mean really !!!
WHAT ELSE OTHER GAMES ARE OUT THERE ?
i only Know of (2) other games in the Past YEAR like this!! RUNE , BLADE OF DARKNESS

I admit i had to Build My Son A New Machine just so he Can Play .
Most Newer games are going to REQUIRE you to Upgrade your system regularly .
( i know this , i live with this .)

Just think of how much money i save , By not playing Golf , or Fishing

so computer gaming is only a couple Grand every other year. ( big deal )you know how much a new set of golf clubs cost, how about a new fishing boat ?

IF PEOPLE AINT GOT NOTING GOOD TO SAY
( in Public) THEN SAY NOTING
Post Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:53 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2