BioWare Reveals Mass Effect for the Xbox 360
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

BioWare Reveals Mass Effect for the Xbox 360

BioWare's countdown has revealed <a href="http://masseffect.bioware.com/" target="_blank">Mass Effect</a> - an action RPG for the Xbox 360. The actual press release or a detailed description is escaping me at the moment but we'll update this newsbit as soon as that comes to hand. In the meantime, the link above offers a trailer, a link to the new official forum and a 'Newsletter' with the chance to win an Xbox 360 console.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:56 pm
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm betting Dragon age will be the last RPG we will see from Bioware, every title after that will probably start with 'Action' in the description.

If you don't think about Mass Effect as an RPG it looks rather intereseting, too bad it's for a console.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:57 pm
Hypatiae

PC woes

PCs are not user friendly, too physically delicate and cost prohibitive.

Consider this carefully.

There is an ocean of debate on the PC game vs. Console game war but I rarely see this point made.

In 1986 I had a Super Nintendo and a PC. I played games on both. The wrong keystroke in DOS, a bad floppy disk, dust inside the casing, overheating...so many things could go wrong when I played my PC games.

My Super Nintendo had Coca Cola and Doritos stains that could have been mistaken for nuclear fusion. My friends and I would throw our controllers at the wall when losing a round in Mike Tysons Punch Out. If a game failed to load, we would smack the side of the console or take out the cartridge and blow in the bottom where the data card was. This always fixed the problem.

Fast Forward to 2005. My Falcon Northwest PC is a $2500 gaming monster. It cost $2500 US dollars...I had to move to the North Pole to keep it from overheating. Exception errors, drivers, bad data, defragmenting, hardware compatibility, obsolete versions, latency, framerate, additional ISP costs, disconnects, operating systems, PC are really simple...

My cousin keeps her Playstation 2 CDs under the couch, stacked like poker chips without cases or protective sleeves so the dog will not chew them. Her PS2 has more technologically advanced snack stains and the dog does chew the controllers but they still work fine.

As long as this reamins the case, the general public will buy more consoles and console games then PCs and PC games. There are just too many practical advantages.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:30 am

Dhruin

Please, how many links would you like me to provide to people who have bought 2, 3, 4 PS2s because they kept breaking down? If your Falcon overheats so badly and gives you regular exception errors - take it back. I can't remember the last exception error I had on my system.

OS, defragmentation, ISP costs (!?) and so on are all issues that PC users will face when they use their PC for the non-gaming tasks like internet and writing a Word doc...I assume you posted from a PC? For some reason occasionally updating your video driver makes it all an impossibly difficult task - that makes no sense to me.

Yes - consoles are growing and have obvious advantages (and disadvantages) including some ease of use issues but please don't blow it all out of proportion with overblown claims about reliability.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:26 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I hate consoles. Last console game I played and enjoyed was chrono trigger about 10 years ago.

Don't plan on getting an xbox360 so I guess i won't be playing this "action" rpg.

I don't know why there is so much focus on the console market comapnies like blizzard and bethesda have proven a good pc game will far outsell most console games and the pc and xbox are not mutially exclusive development platforms.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:07 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd probably like console gaming more if keyboards and mice ever become standard periphals.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:28 am
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Once keyboard and mouse are standard, and you cant install and edit anything you want i'll buy a console, but by then it will just be a PC with less functions and alittle more power at launch.

How i see it:
PC = Dynamic
Consoles = Static

And that goes for everything related to both.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:34 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I'm once again disappointed with Bioware producing yet another console wannabe!! I don't own a console and wouldn't have one given to me. If it's NOT on PC, it's not worth having!! Nah, I don't have strong opinions!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:44 am
fluffy

A fact to consider with regards to the typical PC vs. Console war, where everyone are claiming that PC gaming is dying, is that this year has, in Europe at least, seen a pretty substantial growth of the PC market.

For a small example, look at the current UK charts. Three of the top ten all formats games are PC-exclusive. A few weeks ago, the PC had 40% of the UK market (numbers were for that particular week), which was an all-time high according to the trade paper MCV.

The PC isn't dying. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:03 am

doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by slak
I'm betting Dragon age will be the last RPG we will see from Bioware, every title after that will probably start with 'Action' in the description.

If you don't think about Mass Effect as an RPG it looks rather intereseting, too bad it's for a console.

Not if the sales of Mass Effect are similar to those of Jade Empire. Bioware's PC RPG's all massively outsold Jade Empire, which sold a decent 500,000 copies, but not at all close to the 2,000,000 copies for Baldurs Gate, BG2, and NWN. Thow in four expansion packs to that mix and the licensing out of the Aurora engine for The Witcher and I would say that Bioware would be extremely foolish to abandon the PC. World of Warcraft has more subscribers than all of X-Box Live and if Dragon Age is as good as its potential, then I'll bet it will easily top the 2,000,000 mark too.

I like what Bioware is doing with the X-Box 360 vs the PC. They are making console games and PC games separately. As a result, they can make excellent games for both consoles. I give them a lot of credit for acknowledging that consoles and the PC are still different, when other companies are taking a "one size fits all approach". (I do wish that Jade Empire would be ported to the PC though ) I wish that Ion Storm and Interplay had followed this template. If they had, they would still be in business.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:49 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Bioware smioware, console smonsole, all the good games are either coming from nival or are indie developments. All pc only. Consoles are for pederasts, everyone knows that. Even my wife likes console games, and she is Satan, what does that tell you?
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:26 pm
Hypatiae

Point

quote:
overblown claims about reliability.

My point was not clear. My mistake for disguising it with nostalgia.

PCs are too expensive and not user friendly to anyone still in their public shool years (Pre 18 years in most countries) and without the proper technical know-how.

Despite the plethora of links to PS2 lemons you can provide, consoles are more durable than PCs. Test this yourself. Accidently drop a PS2 controller and your mouse on a concrete floor from the same height. Who has concrete floors in their house you say? It is quite popular in New York City, especially in Harlem where I lived, to bring a big screen TV and consoles outside and have barbecue/gaming block parties.

My Falcon, by the way, does not overheat. It was sarcasm. I dot not own a console either. Being a proponent of the PC does not automatically mean you bash the other alternative. Consoles are easier to market to non computer geeks, which may come as a surprise to many, are a minority.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:36 am

Dhruin

If you use hyperbole to sell your point of view, expect someone to disagree. If you take a second look, you'll see that I didn't "bash" consoles at all. I understand why consoles are attractive - I just don't think PCs being "physically delicate" is part of the equation at all. The controller on the concrete floor is not a compelling argument - consoles often sit on/under the TV and kids leave the controllers lying on the ground to be kicked around - this just isn't a serious issue for the PC.

People's changing lifestyles suiting short bursts of repetitive play (rather than longer commitments with more complex games), the marketing weight of Sony and Microsoft, the self-fulfilling circle of more console players attracting AAA game developments with increased production values, which in turn attracts more players, games becoming "mainstream" entertainment, more large/HD TVs in circulation and so on are all part of the picture. Dropping mice on concrete floors isn't and neither is under 18s who are routinely required to create Powerpoint presentations for school on their PC but somehow can't get the Sims to work.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:14 am