Usergroups
Do YOU think the Addon will be realeased
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

The translation mods (English and Russian) were a big step for the add-on. All we can do now is to wait till 2005's summer. If the add-on doesn't show up in English then forget it.It's a long time till but the time is passing. The relish dates are changing. No I don't think the add-on will come out.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:39 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

@ Gorath:

These people need to start putting in a "If you dont do your job, we'll do it for you" clause in those contracts.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:42 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, this is something I don´t understand. Isn´t it a normal thing to put a clause into the contract that the rights are automatically returned if the game isn´t shipped 6 months after the German release?
I would speculate that PB was simply too inexperienced. G2 was their first contract and the add-on was probably still part of it. But what´s JoWooD´s excuse in the deal with Atari?

If I were PB I would have seriously considered doing G3 without JoWooD, given enough cash to survive until 6 months after the release. G3 is a sure no.1 hit in the German market. It will sell 100k units for 45 EUR within a few weeks, another 100k for an average of 30 EUR and then lots more for 10 EUR. PB could have made solid money with minimum risk if they had expanded into publishing. Hire 1 experienced, highly qualified PR guy with lots of contacts. Then outsource all the other stuff to Koch Media, who handled G2.
Then all the international sales would have been a bonus - and can it get any worse than now? Look at Ascaron. Sacred sold 150k in Germany and 500k worldwide incl. Germany. Numbers still growing, game still at full price in many countries and not even released in some markets. If they had self-published they would have earned big money instead of nice money.

Silver Style chose such a route for The Fall, and their game doesn´t have half the importance G3 has.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:11 pm
GoliathZer0
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You know i think they will make a gold version but if it doesnt come out by december 31 then im going to buy the game and download that mod. I too have been waiting for a year but still nothing and it's just an addon. How long can it take to translate the german to english for an ADDON? Like i said im getting to eager to playing it so until december 31 I will wait....i hope i can...
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:24 am
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, after much deliberating, I fired up G2 last night and have started. Addon be damned! I wasn't too chuffed cos I utterly love Cothic and want to have a long a game as possible. But I don't think its going to come out, after much thinking

I looked at the german site about ordering the addon in German and applying the translation, but have decided I can't wait any longer. Besides, I want to play as a magician, and I understand thats almost impossible with the addon as its so hard. Correct?

But I was utterly lost in playing it last night. It was still worth the wait and self denial. Happy days. I'm going to take 3 days off work sick next week to have a nice long session. Yes, I'm very sad.
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:32 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Well jowood screwed up with the English gothic series. That’s my opinion.

In my country you can't find gothic1 anymore or gothic2 .That's sad. I could see the games on the stores but after some months they were disappeared.

Also gothic3 will be a very good game but it's gonna take a long time till it hits the stores .And the guys from the team doesn't reveal any info.If you want more info you have to wait till January or February of 2005 .
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:19 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Patriot
Well jowood screwed up with the English gothic series. That?s my opinion.

Maybe you want to enlighten us what´s JoWooD´s job with the English Gothic series? And please think about it and look at the game boxes before you answer.

quote:

In my country you can't find gothic1 anymore or gothic2 .That's sad. I could see the games on the stores but after some months they were disappeared.

That´s what happens when the publisher lacks motivation.

quote:

Also gothic3 will be a very good game but it's gonna take a long time till it hits the stores .And the guys from the team doesn't reveal any info.If you want more info you have to wait till January or February of 2005 .

Publishers develop a marketing plan to hype the game. Infos are only revealed when this plan says okay.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:58 pm
QreepyBORIS
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

:o!

Though I lack any rudimentary knowledge of game publishing etcetera, I am going to have to say that The addon will not be realeased in the US. I'd be pretty surprised if it got released, seeing as the soonest possible dates would be in about eight or nine months. The Pirhana bytes don't even have the English addon site upline (although there is a little bit of text that looks like a pre-link).

But, since NotR is practically the same as Gothic, and the game has little to no replayability (too damn linear, I don't care what you say), I don't really mind if they don't release it here.

I just sure as hell hope they release Gothic III in the US (or at least England, which is where I got Gothic II from). Because THAT is a game that I really, really want to have. It is pretty likely that they would realease it here if they made it in Germany. I just hope the graphics are better--that is one of the two or so things that are holding the game back. And yet the "now hiring" site for Gothic III says they only want people who do Low-Mid Poly 3d for their team...sigh.

That turned into quite the rant.
I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER!I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER! I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER!
Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:09 am
Morning.LemoN
Village Leader
Village Leader

has anybody been in contact with PB lately? what do they have to say about this? i dont mean that they have anything to do with the addon getting released....i'm just wondering how they feel towards the english addon issue.
last thing we heared from them is, i think, that the english addon site would soon be up along with the g3 site.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:36 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Sadly, I don't expect to see a US release. I'm trying to hold out hope for a UK Gold Edition with the Add-On included, but even that's becoming doubtful.

I really like the world of Gothic, but I'm going to have to give serious thought to whether I want to give any more of my $ to this company when G3 comes out. From a Customer Service point of view, this whole situation leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:05 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Re: :o!

quote:
Originally posted by QreepyBORIS
And yet the "now hiring" site for Gothic III says they only want people who do Low-Mid Poly 3d for their team...sigh.

Everyone uses Low-mid poly modelers for games. Even Epic describe their Unreal Engine 3 models as being "Low Poly".

A High-Poly modeler would be someone who developers photo realistic CG renderings for static artwork and movies etc. There isnt a computer on the planet that could run a game that used all high-poly models.

Even the most advanced engines being developed today use low-poly models and a whole bunch of fancy tricks (Paralax Mapping etc) to make the models look far more detailed than they realy are.

So the bottom line is: Dont worry. I am sure G3 will look gorgeous
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:09 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
PB could have made solid money with minimum risk if they had expanded into publishing.

So you suggest PB to follow Blizzard's footsteps?

quote:
Originally posted by QreepyBORIS
I am going to have to say that The addon will not be realeased in the US. The Pirhana bytes don't even have the English addon site upline (although there is a little bit of text that looks like a pre-link).

We're all talking about the UK addon. It is already announced that the publisher will not release the addon in the States.

It is safer for the developer to put the addon site online once the announcement is made; however, PB knows as little info as we do regarding the release date.

quote:
Originally posted by TheCleric

I'm going to have to give serious thought to whether I want to give any more of my $ to this company when G3 comes out.

The "company"... as in the developer or the publisher? So, you said you are boycotting PB?

@Edith tags.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:05 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

whole situation about this english notr addon has been drifted into a total dead end.I, myself have lost all the faith, that jowood and Atari could have been able to discharge one's duties to the end with honor.It is a terrible shame to see, that such a talented devteam has to suffer from so uncompetent publishers.

The day has finally come.I just made a decision to order german notr addon and download this high praced english subtitlemod.It is quite clear,that this is the only way for one to enjoy pb's handwork.

Sole thing we fans must do now is to PRAY, that the upcoming release of gothic III will be bigger thing in worldwide than it was with g2.After two cult hits and after two unsuccessfull publishing deals, i can only hope, that piranhas have learned some valuable lessons from this and have decided to look for better partners for gothic III.

I mean it'd be a real pitty to see this whole mess to be occurred once again, when g3 someday goes gold.In germany they have good partner but for crying out loud if g3 is A-class game, it needs A-class publisher.

For instance here in finland a devteam called Remedy was making their first REAL a-class game called max payne for something like 4 years.Quess what, it was a smash hit worldwide! Do you know why? Because they had aufully good connections to a good publisher and the publisher did their job with media, so MP got all the attention it deserved.Without notice from the media MP would have been a lot less succefull.

Also take a look at benthesa and how much attention their new game is getting from the press and players.How many gaming sites or magazines outside germany actually know that piranhas are making an other brilliant rpg game for gothic series?

Sure if pb's target audience are german speaking players the publishing strategy with g2 is a right way, but if they target outside, they must improve a lot!

and please piranhas, RELEASE BOTH VERSIONS AT THE SAME TIME!
Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:49 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy
quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
PB could have made solid money with minimum risk if they had expanded into publishing.

So you suggest PB to follow Blizzard's footsteps?

Blizzard is no publisher. They are a part of Vivendi. Vivendi calls the shots.

I think they should self-publish in Germany because they could get 25 EUR or even more per unit sold for full price instead of 2 Mio advance against royalties of ~3-5 EUR per unit or even a flat fee (all numbers are pure speculation!). 25 EUR * 100k units sold in the first six weeks pays for the whole development costs. (Of course the money comes much later than the 6 weeks!) Then close separate deals for all foreign territories. This spreads the risk, especially if they play it save and agree to lower royalties in return for guranteed minimum sales numbers. This way the risk seems okay, they have control and they have a decent chance to make a lot of money if the game sells better than expected.
The two things PB would need for this strategy are know how and money. The latter is needed, the other can be bought. Without enough money for the complete development plus 6 months -better 12 months- they can forget about it.

The Silver Style boss said in an interview a few days ago that they should have become a publisher earlier. This means before Soldiers of Anarchy, I guess. It sold more than 450k worldwide, although mostly for a low price. Still, with a proven track record, expected 1 Mio EUR earnings minimum in Germany and a dozen publishing partners the risk they take with The Fall seems worth it. Imagine it sells 80k in Germany for full price - a high number of course- and another 500k worldwide including budget releases in all countries for only 7.5 EUR weighted average wholesale price. This would mean 80k + 25 = 2 M EUR + 7.5 * 500k = 3.75 M = 5.75 EUR for a game with an estimated budget of 2.5 M. Now add an add-on and the gold edition and it looks even better.
This short number play tells us that they probably only need to sell 200-250k worldwide to break even. Gothic 3 could sell such a number in Germany alone, with one add-on and a gold edition.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:50 am
maic_ro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The bottom line is that they should learn from this and we should not wait more then a couple of months the english version of G3 (a international release day will be even better)

I want to ask you (if you have any knolage) about the existence of some feedback from PB (Do you think they read this forum or any other that show the gamers opinion)
Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:42 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next