Members
Usergroups
Gothier than thou...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
The Seventh Son

Gothier than thou...

After hearing so many positive remarks about this game (Mainly from this message board) I decided to shell out the 40, and give it a go. First Impressions were a bit shakey, Graphics were dated and interface was really funny (In the bad way). After a few hours of playing, the interface got easier, and graphics didn't seem to matter as much (though I still have a problem seing bow strings pass through people). The game is, so far, 'Not bad...' but could be better; I'm hopeing time will change my mind.

Questions for the more experianced Gothic Player:

1. The Games default settings (screen res) are 800x600x12, wich is piss poor IMO. My Video Card is an Nvidia GEForce 3 Ti500, not the greatest but an improvement over my old Diamond Monster 3dII card. Whenver I try and change the video settings to a better/higher resolution, they never change. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. I have heard there was a patch, but searched the net and found nothing (Useing a search engine all I get are a bunch of crappy 'Hi! I'm a Goth Wannabee' web pages.) Might someone either discredit this roumor, or point me in the right direction? (No, not literally, a link would be nice.)

3. Camps; Throughout my few (4-6) hours of playing I have only really throughly explored the old camp and its surrounding area. In all other RPG's I play, my character is a Warrior 'Brawn over Brains', 'Fight Now Talk Later', 'Here's steel up your rear' kind of character with a STRONG hatred for magic. Which camp is the best for Warriors? The Old camp looks more like a thieves hide out than anything.

4. The 3rd person prespective is giveing me a headache, is it at all possible to be able to play through a first person view?

In conclusion, Gothic has turned out to be a decent game and is still looking up; I'd appreciate if any regulars could help me with a few of these issues.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:49 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Re: Gothier than thou...

1. Sorry, I never had a problem with the resolution. You might want to check the troubleshooting forum here.

2. Click me!

3. All three are fine for a warrior.

4. Alistair has almost completed his first person mod. Look here for current information on it.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:00 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

1. You ignored the message telling you to press ENTER to confirm the changes. Many people had this problem.
How fast is the rest of your machine? You can squeeze a lot out of Gothic if your PC can handle it.

2. Also download the FAQ. YouŽll need it for combat and trading. Be careful not to read the walkthrough.

First two things to do:
1.Delete or rename the file named bikini... there is only one.
2.edit the gothic.ini and set the bloodlevel=3.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:11 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Set the game view distance to 300%, the resolution to at least 1024x768x32, rename the bikini file (like someone said already) to some random name and you're all set. Just climb a mountain and wait for the sunrise! You'll be amazed.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:06 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Correct, but the visuals can be enhanced even more on a fast machine.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:17 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Warrior!

Personally I'd pick the Sect Camp. Cos' Templars are cool, and Templars are warriors.

But if you're more interested in two handed stuff only, join the New Camp. [...]

Explore the New Camp and Sect Camp as soon as you can. [...]

<i>Spoilers removed. Gorath.</i>
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:15 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I had the same problem with the patch. But I had enough foresight not to type "Gothic" into google. Turns out, there is no patch. Well, not really. The version I got was 1.08, which means that all the patches that exist out there are specific for some sort of a specialized need. The main gothic website specifically lists none under patches. I was stupid enough to d/l 1.08h (or something like that), which was in german only and messed up my game beyond my ability to decipher basic German sentences. The 1.08k is a specific patch (the link that Val gave you) that is, by its own admission, not recommended unless you specifically need that one problem fixed.
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:25 am
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

If you have only explored Old Camp then you are lucky. You get the pleasure of exploring the rest of the world.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:40 am