View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Vilgefortz the mage
The ending is good, because it is difficult to overpower Sleeper. Firs you have to defeat Cor Calom, then the fanatics, then the demons and finally...... yes!!!! THE END!!!!!!

Nothing 7 fire demons couldn't handle all by themselves.

Aside from the unintuitive controls (for the first few hours I kept droping my items since it felt intuitive that if ctrl+up equips then ctrl+down unequips...), I found that battle targetting and facing algorithms sucked. They were intermittent, meaning that you could never rely on them behaving one way or the other. Sometimes you'd face your opponent and sometimes you'd be swinging a mile away from them.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:24 am
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The LMB fight control would be good, but only with bows, crossbows and magic. I saw a game with the LMB control of meele weapons. It looked awfull!

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:07 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

I did not find much wrong with the game per se, but as has been pointed out the manual was poor as was the marketing. I also found the controls to be daunting at first, but managed to figure out how everything worked by hunting and pecking at the key board. Once I found the mouse controls, and how wonderfully they worked I never went back to using the keyboard solo. At one time I was on a quest to inform reviewers about the mouse controls because only one out of seven reviews I read even mentioned them. A number of reviewers sent me personal e-mails and thanked me. My conclusion was that the game was great, the documentation poor. It still is.
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:07 am
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

So there should be two control sets avalible. One would be the old one from Gothic I, and the second would be the LMB control.

Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:40 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Re: What was wrong in Gothic?

quote:
Originally posted by Vilgefortz the mage
If you ask me, I would say - nothing, but I would like to hear (or read ) what you have to say about it, so don't be shy. Thel me what was wrong in a perfect game.

Iv read the two pages of reactions and wondered what answers you'd have gotten if you had asked something like ' what could they have done better' of ' what should have made gothic an even better game'
Although I realy love this game and think there is hardly any better game ever made, i still think they could have done (even) better.

-Gothic lacks humor. Okay, a prison colony is not a fun place to be, but though i had a goed laugh bashing orcs, the game never made me smile.

-I would have liked to personalize the main character. He has no backround to begin with so why not pick a face or a name?

-The game has a ' steep learning curve' . There is nothing basicly wrong with the controls or even the manual (ahum) - they should have made a better tutorial in-game.

-The engine could improve on better object handling. Id like movable objects in 3d, that can tossed up, tumble down a hil, or be climbed upon. I want to hack a ladder into pieces and burn it down, or move it to another place. (its stupid if you cant reach a place while there are 200 ladders nearby).

-I would have liked more freedom (even more? yes, even more). For example; when i want onther soul for the brotherhood, why is there only one guy willing. I couldnt even ask somebody else! Why not abduct mud (he followed me all the the way, but didnt want to stay) or just wait for the next guy to be thrown into the colony?

- What is it with the women? Im realy woried about the mental age (state) of the game developers. Do I need te explain this? Most male characters are well developed and carefully crafted. All female carcters are just graficly well designed. This isnt even funny - its sic.

Thats enough for today. Want to continue playing...

Yours

Parcival
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:43 pm
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well, you won't be able to wait for another person to be thrown in Gothic 2 but it was really odd in Gothic.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:28 am
Emech
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

multiplay party play missing (ala NWN)
level editing missing (ala NWN)
the controls were difficult because they were a new way of doing things, and once you got used to them they were better for combat. It became more skilled then jsut a click fest - however easier inventory control is needed.

BUT (and its a big one)

for single player gaming there is NO BETTER GAME...

Morrowind feels dead compared to this.
Dungeon seige offers party play, but it really just a pretty diablo
and diablo id just a hack n slash collect em up

In short....Gothic for single player, NWN for multi. Now if gothic 2 manages to marry these concepts I'll never need another game!!
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:20 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

GII will have no multiplayer.
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:37 am
uncle_sticky
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

personally, what I disliked the most was character animation in combat, and especially when the opponent is killed - they all collapse in the same manner, and when you look at the body, you can see that the body is... well, dead, but otherwise intact. what about the possibility to hack arms, legs and heads off?? what about a mere possibility to inflict visible wounds? even in q2, when you shoot at an alien long enough, you can see it change as bullet holes appear in its body. and what about arrows? shooting somebody or something does them damage ok, but where's the goddamn arrow, or bolt, for that matter? and I would really love to see an orc turn into a pincushion
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:11 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

There were nice pincushions in this dinosaur-hunter game based on this comic book... I forgot the name .

Gothic II will not have dismemberment options - for marketing reasons (games get indexed = blacklisted for stuff like this in Germany).
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:18 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

The only thing that I didn't really like were the clumsy trade screens.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:57 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Same here...I kept giving too much of one thing then had to go back...ARGH!!!
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:40 am
$loth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Jaz u thinking of turok? ne way i thought that that damn ladder in the old mine, where u had to get the cog for that guy, needs some fixing, it was a biotch to get up cause of the uneven ground
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:32 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

It's unfortunate that Gothic didn't has much mods available. There's no huge mods making community out there. Even with Gothic 2, PB won't release it together with the game, only later, and it's less user friendly than plug-in tools by Bioware (NWN) and Bethesda (MW).
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:08 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Yes, I meant Turok. Thanks .
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:00 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next