Usergroups
Horses in game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

They will surely have some kind of quick travelling. They have to with the world being a lot bigger.
I hope they don't spend too much time looking into the horse matter and instead balance the magic system.
The more we talk about the horses the more complications arise. I think it would take so much time to implent it right, that it's not worth it.
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:46 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Teleport runes are given in Chapter 2(in the Valley of Mines) and then as soon as you come back out to the normal world. You only have to go through Chapter 1 without the ability to teleport.

What Sem has concluded has been my point all along. Implementing horses is a lot more complicated than it seems, with tons of balance issues.

So I will stress this yet again - if they do implement it, they should spend a lot of time doing so to get it right, and to be honest I'd rather get Gothic 3 as soon as possible, than wait six months for them to smack in horses(when they've already developed a working way of fast travel - teleport).

This is just my opinion though, and has been all along.
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:21 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
But horses would change the whole balancing because you´re faster and you´re above your enemies. Maybe they find another quick travel system.

There are many ways to balance out mounted combat.

Not letting the player perform certain moves, etc (because after all he can't really move as such since his lower body is on the horse), having an accuracy hit with a bow, etc.

I really really love horses and I just want them to get the attention they deserve.

Oblivion is going to have horses, but no mounted combat and such, which is cheap if you ask me. I don't want horses to be treated as a vehicle or anything, I want to feel like they are what they are, have their own personality and such.

Maybe it's just nostilga of having horses or the the fact that so many great fantasy novels have the hero with his horse thing going for them, but to me it's sad to see so many great rpgs that would simply greatly benefit from having a well done horse system in them.

Imagine jousting and the likes , with physics that would be so sweet.
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:07 pm
muteki13
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
What Sem has concluded has been my point all along. Implementing horses is a lot more complicated than it seems, with tons of balance issues.

So I will stress this yet again - if they do implement it, they should spend a lot of time doing so to get it right, and to be honest I'd rather get Gothic 3 as soon as possible, than wait six months for them to smack in horses(when they've already developed a working way of fast travel - teleport).

I agree. G3 will be complicated enough with the 12 different subfactions and factions you can join. Horses could easily be turned into a cheesy and invasive element that most people might not even use. You will still need to pick up items. Will you have to get off the horse every time you see a healing herb?

If they do include them that's fine, but I'm a lot more interested in seeing Myrtana. And while I know many things will be new and different, I still want to be able to recognize it as a Gothic game, so they shouldn't change everything.
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:03 am
LocoBaxter
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

ya ur right, i think alot of us know that they prolly wont but them in the game but we men like to dream. i agree it would mess up the feel of Gothic and thats definently one thing i really dont wanna happen. if it does happen i might just start playin Gothic1 again, but i doubt it and i hope not.
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:14 am
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

honestly i dont think horses would fit well into the game , i just cant picture them being in the game i think it should be all on foot and have the teleportation runes like in 1 and 2 i think horses would just end up crapping the game up.

but it would be interesting i just cant picture the character riding a horse i would picture more like a big scavenger or something
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:27 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Muteki brings up a brilliant point - you can't pick up items while mounted, and you pick up herbs and small items all day long in Gothic, hehe.
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:16 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:

but it would be interesting i just cant picture the character riding a horse i would picture more like a big scavenger or something

Yeah, like in the game outcast where you could ride a "Twon Ha" , a creature resembling to an ostrich. It was really funny to ride that thing but you couldn't ride it in all the game, only in certain areas. Picking things up in outcast was no problem while riding because when you walked over an item with the Twon Ha you automaticaly picked it up. But in Gothic you always have to pick things up manually so it's more difficult there. But in the end i'm not completely against horses but i doubt PB will integrate them because it means more work for everyone.
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:31 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

i dont know it would just be wierd its like horses dont fit into the game because there to normal looking you know were all use to wierd screwed up monsters , if they did add them wich i doubt they will i hope it wont be a hassle using them you can go places fast but you'll missing out on alot of fighting and items.

Like Sacred not sure what its like now i played the buggy crap when it first came out but it was a hassle fighting on the horse was very slow and i had to get off the horse every time to pick up a item and also when i rode the horse fast the game would crash.

I just mean horses are to normal to fit into gothic im use to strange looking monsters / orcs and humans so if we did get to mount something it would have to be a wierd monster like final fantasy has a chocobo so i could picture riding a big scavenger type thing or maybe make it look powerful and nice looking or maybe you can level it up and make its appearence change and become faster and stronger and even attack when its bigger , maybe a small dinosaur thing
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:21 pm
DarkPrinceSauron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

And imagine that fighting as a foot soldier against a mounted enemy will be very unbalanced.
What chance has a foot soldier when the charging enemy comes with great speed and power over him.(you have to be a warrior of great skill and cunning and the horse-rider a stupid enemy so that you can win - Like in The Gladiator when he fighted against the Pretorian in that forest )

And how would they make the controls when a fast charging unit attacks you ?
You will have to be very skilled with the keybord so that you can manage to hit you're oppenent and of course you will have to carry allways a spear so that you can have a chance against mounted enemyes.And what if more mounted enemyes attack you wille you're on foot ? It will surely be lanced to death , being throwed here and there by the power of the charge , ending with the caracter butchered!

All the fights would be like ...charge then turn arround the horse than again charge...etc.

And I agree with the idee of collecting herbs and items.It will be very enoying to unmount every time to take items.
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:29 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by DarkPrinceSauron
And what if more mounted enemyes attack you wille you're on foot ? It will surely be lanced to death , being throwed here and there by the power of the charge , ending with the caracter butchered!

He, you've defeated 5 dragons, a couple of 30 feet high trolls and tons of orcs and now you are wining over some enemies that are riding some animal?!

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:23 pm
LocoBaxter
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

but what if these mounted enemies are orcs with dragon mounts and the 30ft high trolls are being carried by the dragons and dropped on u like a paratrooper .
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:25 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Welcome to the forums DarkPrinceSauron!

I agree on the mounted enemy thing. Imagine an orc elite on a mount charging against you. Unless you're at the very end of the game and can resist anything(like when you defeat the dragons), you'd be a dead man. I can just picture a whole chavalry of orcs(say a group of 5-6 orcs) charging against you, mounted on Shadowbeasts, screaming like mad. Oh boy, here we died again.

Also, you can't outrun someone like that. Chapter 2 in Gothic 2 would be impossible if anyone was actually that much faster than you. And the other way around - if you were that much faster than your enemy, you could simply ride in, get whatever you need, and ride back out. No sweat.

Hehe, LocoBaxter, now we're talking. I mean our hero has a dream team going with him(Vatras, Lee, Angar, Gorn, Milten, Diego, Lester etc) and I'd say the enemy would need dragon-riding orcs who dropped troll-paratroopers to stand even the slightest chance..
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:05 pm
DarkPrinceSauron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Or maybe if the dragons are standing on top of the mountain and start throwing with orcs on our heroes making target practice while the mounted orcs on dragons are paratrooping the trolls along with shadowbeast instant bombs
Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:09 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd still put my money on our hero. He's got such a groovy ponytail.
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:55 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next