Thoughts about Ultima 8 (Some SPOILERS)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thoughts about Ultima 8 (Some SPOILERS)

Well actually my favourites are U7s, but U8 was also wonderful for me. I have seen some posts regarding U8 is not good at all. One guy even said that he finished U9 with fun, but couldnt stand U8. Well its exactly the opposite for me. However I am also thinking of giving another shot at U9 these days...

The storyline had some holes, some parts of the game were incomplete and the worst: The expansion Lost Vale never got released.

Nevertheless I loved U8 at the time it was released. The spells, animations, NPCs ( althought they are rare ), sounds and especially the music impressed me. I still listen to the Tenebrae, Cemetary, Carthax Lake, Ethereal Void an other midi files. They are also good background musics when playing tabletop FRP games with friends at home.

The game had some logical parts like you couldnt kill ghosts with mundane weapons unlike in some other RPGs. You would read books to increase your INT. You would swing your weapon and jump around to increase your STR and DEX.

The spells were very good and impressive. Especially the sound of thunder after casting the lovely spell called Grant Peace. However some spells were unfortunately quest only. For instance by casting Speak Truth spell, you made some people tell the truth to solve a quest, but you couldnt hear the truth from other important NPC. Probably the reason for this was the incomplete game rushed by EA.

Many other lovely things were left out incomplete. You can see lots of places or items that doesnt function. One being the mystical tetrahydron that morphs from a cube to a sphere and a prism. ( The logo of EA?? )

ULTIMAtely this game had its ups and downs, but the downs didnt matter a lot and the ups were great. If I had tons of money, I would have given it all to EA and force them to gather up the expansion, finish it PROPERLY and release it.
Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:26 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I agree whole heartedly. It was my first rpg so I may be a little biased but right from the beginning I fell in love with that game.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:27 pm
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Exactly!
I certainly believe that Ultima 8 was underrated. Now I want to go and participate in the Ritual of Fire again...
Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:09 pm