Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Newbie question about creating a new character.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Newbie question about creating a new character.

What do you think are the best skills to make Major, Minor , and Misc for a good all around balanced character? I heard that if I choose the wrong ones that I'll have trouble leveling up later in the game.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:52 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

A very pertinent question but one that's not easy to answer, as different people like different skills. I know you say "balanced", but is there a specific kind of character you like to play - warrior, mage, thief, archer, diplomat, assassin, paladin?

There was a recent discussion about creating a monk-type character that may be of interest to you, and in the spoilers forum there's an excellent general character creation thread - well worth reading through.

Some general guidelines though - pick one weapon and one armour type, leave acrobatics, athletics and alchemy as misc skills, keep at least one skill per controlling attribute misc for training purposes. A heavy fighter needs lots of strength and endurance, a magic-user needs intelligence and willpower and a thief needs agility, speed and intelligence. You don't have to follow these guidelines, but it'd make things easier if you did.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:21 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

So no matter what I do, some of my stats are always going to be way ahead of the others right? I don't really understand how those multipliers work. The manual is somewhat confusing to me.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:06 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
So no matter what I do, some of my stats are always going to be way ahead of the others right

Right. But it doesn't really matter. If you use a sword then it really won't matter that your Blunt skill is so low, and if you wear leather armour your Medium Armour skill won't matter either. Morrowind has a skills-based experience system - your character will improve most in doing the things he does most frequently, and will level faster the more he uses his major/minor skills. If you never use Axe it'll remain at a low level, but won't affect you at all. You just won't be very good at using axes. *shrug*

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
I don't really understand how those multipliers work. The manual is somewhat confusing to me.

The multipliers are something you can take heed of if you want to maximise your stats, but you don't really have to care about them much at all, if you don't want to. If you create a character with major and minor skills that you think you'd like to use (given the guidelines above) then it'll probably be a fine character.

If you're still unsure, tell us what kind of character you want to play and post a set of skills you'd like to use, and we can tell you if there are any problems with it, or any improvements that could be made.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:18 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I see in the manual that it says I must choose to specialize in either combat, stealth, or magic arts. I really didn't want to have to specialize in anything. I want to create an explorer type of character who is pretty good at a lot of different things.
Any advice? And why should Alchemy never be a Major\Minor skill? Are there other skills you feel the same way about?
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:56 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

If alchemy, athletics, or acrobatics are taken as major/minor skills, they increase FAR too quickly and cause your character to level FAR too quickly with them. Even left as a misc skill, those 3 will increase rapidly.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:17 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Is it bad to level too quickly? Anyway, I suggest specializing in Combat, as other comes by time. Having Heavy Armor as a major is good, as the best armors are usually heavy. I personally like having acrobatics\athletics as minor...
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:27 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Are there any penalties with Heavy Armor? Like does it slow you down or make it harder to sneak?
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:38 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Yes, it will make you slower, but if you have good athletics\strength\speed, it will be Ok. About Sneak, not that I mentioned so far...
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:44 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by ~NOBODY~
Is it bad to level too quickly?
Levelling too quickly makes it more difficult to do much with your stat multipliers. For some players, that won't matter. With a great deal of care, it's possible to avoid the problem if you want. For most players, IMO, it's an unnecessary complication to character development if you pick skills that make you level too quickly.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:04 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The specialization does two things, firstly it gives an initial +10 bonus to all skills of that type, secondly it makes those skills slightly easier to improve. Ignore the second effect for now as it's not very noticeable, but the first effect is a good way of giving yourself a quick boost at the start of the game. If after picking your skills you feel you could do with making your best skills better, or want to balance out the ones you're less good at, fine. But I'm with Nobody here - if you can't decide, pick combat.

Heavy armour will slow you down more than light or medium will, simply because it weighs more. The amount you can carry depends on your strength, which will improve in time. I have to say I'd recommend Light Armour for your character - if you want to be more of an explorer you'll need space in your inventory for useful items and things you find along the way. You can work on your heavy armour skill later, if you wish.

Levelling too fast in Morrowind is less of a worry than in Daggerfall, but still can catch you out. The biggest problem I find is that you'll be fighting beefed-up Khagoutis before you've got your useful misc skills much above 5, and you'll not have either powerful weapons or the money to buy them. But it can be an interesting experience - lots of scouting the terrain, lots of paranoia, lots of running away!
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:02 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

I levelled my char to lvl 40, before starting the main quest(I had a russian version, which was INCREDIBLY buggy, so I couldn't start the main quest). I just trained with masters and jumped around to get my acrobatics high. And even there, it wasn't very hard. Morrowind is a bit too easy IMHO.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:59 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

What about magics? Which ones are the most useful and make the game more enjoyable? The ones that are used a lot (like Alchemy) should stay as misc. so they don't develope too quickly right?
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:02 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It's a matter of opinion, but here's the ones I'd take:

Restoration- healing and buffs are always good to have
Destruction- nice for ranged attacks
Mysticism- mark/recall and soul trapping
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:14 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Take as what? Minor skills? And are they that much harder to increase and\or use if I just have them as misc?
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:24 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next