Usergroups
with morrowind big isnt better
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I'm really not that bothered with the frame rate. Just as I am not very impressed by the amazing graphics. (well, sometimes, but not to the extent of improving the game for me) The thing that bothers me is the feeling I am getting from Morrowind. Everywhere I go in the world of Morrowind I can feel the "god, I hate my job" attitude. I think they hired too few designers to do way too much work. It's like.. They started something good but tired halfway through it and finished it without actually finishing it. I'm not making sense But that's the feeling I am getting. Like this dungeon/jail under one of the small towns in the northeast part of the island. I entered it, found a piece of paper on the floor, read it and saw that it was the first page in a journal someone had dropped behind. It was interesting and I got this feeling of anticipation. So I went further into the dungeon and found more and more journal pages lying about all expressing increasingly desperate cries for help. I can tell you, the anticipation was building up! Then I found the fifth or sixth journal page and it said "HE IS HERE" and nothing else and I was like "WHERE?! WHERE?!". And that's where I still am. There was a fire atronach down there. Nothing else. No loot. No hidden doors. No mega monster. Nothing.

Can you imagine my feeling of disappointment? Incidents like this is what makes me dislike Morrowind so much. A bundle of broken promises.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:48 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Mattias Kreku
Can you imagine my feeling of disappointment? Incidents like this is what makes me dislike Morrowind so much. A bundle of broken promises.

I agree completely - that is a very good example because I had the same feeling. I searched all over in the vicinity - poked at walls (well in an imaginary roleplay sort of way since this game doesn't allow you to poke at things) hoping to find some hint of what these torn pages were getting at. I waited for the "HE" the writer was speaking of. I was also very, very disappointed. This sort of disappointment happened all too frequently.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:40 pm
Joey999
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I actually discovered this mystery quest backwards. This is in Tel Vos, right? There's an outside entrance to that dungeon west of the city, and I ended up gathering all of the pages from end to start. Never did figure out what all the fuss was about. I think there are a couple of Daedra Lords in there, but that's it. I suppose it's part of some mission from another house that I never got so it's possible that the big surprise never got triggered.

It's another example of the devs not tying up loose ends. It's almost like you shouldn't do any exploring on your own unless told you're to do so, lest you mess up some rigidly scripted quest later on. I've ruined a few quests because I went somewhere too soon in the game, got attacked, killed the person, only to be told later that I need to talk to them about something.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:37 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

There are no related quests to those notes.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:52 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Joey999
This is in Tel Vos, right?

Yes, but I did't want to mention the name of the village or someone might think of it as a spoiler.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:13 pm
sbatch10

i've had a few days to think since my first post and the more i thought about how to make morrowind better the more i though back to my all time favorite crpg wizardry 1.why was it so great it was small, didnt have a huge story only one quest, which also happened to be the main story (kill werdna).but this is where i still think smaller can be better.thier were only 10 levels as i can remember maybe 9 anyway.every level had something new sure it was the same exact graphics just lines forming a maze, but i found new monsters on every level could'nt wait to get to the next level to see the next monster.yes morrowind has more monsters but its so big they become very repeatitve.how about weapons the blade cusinart or the assassins dagger that would turn one of your players to a ninja(so cool).i remember hunting for those everytime i played and i think i just about found a new weapon everytime i played could'nt wait to identify them to see what i got.morrowind has so many powerful weapons it's like thier a dime a dozen and if you dont find them then just make them.

how about character creation and development.does anybody else miss rolling character after character to get the best one sure yell power gamer or tell me its boring rolling all the time but that was one of my favorite things to do.why because before my character ever got 1 exp. point i had alot of time invested and didnt want to lose them.as far as development i remember spending many sleepless nights trying to get that next level so i could turn my fighter into a samuria, my mage to a bishop, and thief to ninja.whatever happened to raiseing your stats high enough and then changing classes.now i know your going to say morrowinds got unlimited number of classes which is true but you dont have to work to achieve them you create it at the beginning of the game and stay that way through out nothing to work for just get another level yes you skills go up but they did in wizardry to and i felt i was working towords something.

last but not least i really cared about staying alive.sounds funny i know but too many games not just morrowind make it so easy to save that you dont care if you die.in wizardy you wanted to stay alive for many reasons you dont want to die if your about to make the class switch or what if your whole party die and their stuck in the dungeon.i spent my fair share of time trying to rescue my party from the depth of the dungeon.or how many times did i hold my breath when my character was turned to ashes and one failed spell would lose them forever talk about tension.in morrowind if i die i reload.i just save alot before most battles then go in hacking if i die oh well.

now how could a game so graphicly inferior and dated be so much more fun than morrowind (imho).well the reasons are listed above wizardy made me care morrowind does'nt.how about insted of making 500+ hour games in 5 years and rushing them out with bugs.lets make 20+ hour games that draw you in.charge say 14.99 per game releaseing new modules or expansions every month with new areas,treasures,villians and monsters in every release.then any bugs could be fixed in the next expansion as long as thier not major ones but their should'nt be with the smaller game less to screw up.i would definatley go for they could even set it up so you could subscribe to the game like a magazine every month more game comes.i dont know if this is the answer to better games but imo morrowind is not the answer so what do we have to lose.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:53 am

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Sbatch10 - your points are well taken. I have pondered the same things - wondering why I cared about Wiz I far more than Morrowind (and other recent games). The issues you point out are issues that I have thought about many times. We are in agreement.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:13 am
D.J.
Village Leader
Village Leader

Then go back playing that game. If u dont like the game dont play it. and you all sound here like if its a car/house/babe or something that will change your life and your bank account. lol, if u think that of any game, get a life.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:36 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by D.J.
Then go back playing that game. If u dont like the game dont play it. and you all sound here like if its a car/house/babe or something that will change your life and your bank account. lol, if u think that of any game, get a life.

What is so sad is that you and others like you appear to have so little intellectual honesty that you cannot discuss the game's shortcomings. It appears that you must defend at all costs that which you like rather than honestly recognizing that there is NO correlation between the quality of something and one's like of it. Further, you miss (again likely due to your low intellectual honesty) the primary point which is that if WE (the players) don't honestly catalog and discuss a game's shortcomings (or apparent shortcomings), we can never expect the game manufacturers to ever improve their games. And by the way, who is best qualified and should be most likely willing to discuss and debate the absolute requirements and the desired requirements of a roleplay game than us - the fans of RPGs. If we are unwilling and/or unable to do this - then this category of games will suffer in the short and long runs.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:49 pm
D.J.
Village Leader
Village Leader

hmm, i didnt understand a bit what your saying, but anyway.
i like the game very much. i know it has some serious mistakes (like very unrealistic NPCs that dont eat, sleep or move - in Gothic i liked that very much, people really started to hang around the fire, sing, talk, get high or drunk). so maybe the game is too easy that some say. but think. do you know how many time was put in the game to rethink every possible way that someone could finish a quest. same goes for the "they should make game better not bigger". if u ask me it is more difficult to make an average play but big game, than a short game and a good one /just look at max payne (if u ever played it that is) good but extremely short. what else is to be said? oh, the difficulty. of course its logical that at some point the game becomes to easy but thats with all games like this. with such a big world to explore and train your skill the authors cant predict how strong the player will be in a week, two, three... and here are the exploits. again the authors dont know, even they cant see all the combinations people can make. if u ever played card game magic the gathering, you know that a lot of cards got banned because they were too strong. but in games they cant do that. you cant just "ban" the spell/scroll/item so the players cant use it. and they also cant predict all the combinations - i dount that they went through every spell combination/ enchantment. and the savegames, do you really think morrowind could be without savegames? come on, with bugs, mistakes you can do the game would just suck without it.
all right thats enough. if im wrong somewhere please correct me. oh and im really interested what you think od deus ex and gothic and which is yours best game.i hope know you can see that i know how to talk
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:22 pm
EPKJ
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

D. J.'s Arguments

Do you realize what you just did? You admitted that the game has serious flaws, and then proceeded to give blanket absolution to the developers. This is intellectually dishonest. The developers must be held accountable for the serious flaws in the game. There are no acceptable reasons for a poorly designed game.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:05 pm
sbatch11

I can overlook some of the more glaring flaws. What really irks me though is that they wanted to make Morrowind a teeny bopper. It seems like the setting, scenerios, landscape, and plot would have have been more compatible with a complex, dark, and mature tone. I guess teeny boppers probably sell better on consoles, though.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:34 pm

Alright then

Those who don't really like Morrowind have made some good points, yet I disagree with them purely on preference. The lady near Pelagiad doesn't bother me. The quests I've run into so far don't bother me. The day/night schedule stuff doesn't bother me (and I'm a huge Ultima 7 fan). The generic conversation responses don't bother me. I like the game. Apparently Desslock, Gamespot, Gamespy, etc, etc, etc all like the game.

So *to* those who don't like the game, a suggestion. You've found not flaws in the game, but design decisions that appeal to people other than yourself (large cities, lots of people, quantity of play-time, etc... all within the Elder Scrolls ethos). These decisions have tradeoffs: you can't laces together all of these quests without working another two years on the game and you can't make every single one of them with the depth of Planescape. There's not enough resources available to do that. Also, working yourselves up into a frenzy on web-boards doesn't work very well (believe me, I tried that with Ultima IX and never got closure). The best solution would be to chalk the $50 up as a loss, uninstall the game, and move on to something you think you really might like. There's no catharsis to be had by continually wailing and gnashing your teeth. There's too many people that like the game and won't change their minds because of your experience. This kind of game isn't for you.

Go outside and take a walk. Outdoors 1.0 is still current and continually gets rave reviews (some minor weaknesses, like the pollution trojan horse, but it can be dealt with).
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:42 pm

Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

So what you're saying is that if a game is flawed everyone should just ingore the flaws/the game and let the few people who like it enjoy it.. even though you paid 50 bux for the piece of cr*p? Sorry, I don't work that way.. Apparently a lot of other people don't work that way either. Maybe the game designers are too full of themselves to read the fan boards.. Maybe this has no effect whatsoever in the world (other than irritat the fanboys of Morrowind).. I don't care. I love RPGDot because it gives me the freedom to vent my frustration of a promising but horribly failed game. I have almost vented enough for 50 bux.. I think I am up to about 48.50 by now
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:55 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

No, that's not what guest said. Maybe you should read his posting again, Mattias. It's really easy to understand what he said
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:54 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next