The CRPGs that Gothic reminds me of
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Monkey Fluff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The CRPGs that Gothic reminds me of

I'm quite a way into Gothic now (just taken out the minecrawler queen) and I love it. I've played quite a few CRPGs in my time; all the Interplay/Black Isle/Bioware games, the Elder Scrolls series, Deus Ex, System Shock 1 and 2, the Diablos, Divine Divinity, and, of course, the entire Ultima series, to name but a few of the more recognisable ones. And I think, in my mind, the game that Gothic is most reminiscent of is Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss. I can't quite place it, maybe it's to do with the fact that the protagonist is banished in both, or that they both have great levels of interactivity, but there's definitely a magic shared by the two. For me, Gothic has been far more of a revival of UW (one of my favourite CRPGs of all time) than Arx Fatalis ever was (Arx wasn't a bad game though... jus a bit lacking).

Obviously, there are other comparisons with other games. There's a clear link to Ultima VII purely due to the quality of gameplay (and NPC routines - whoo, what a brilliant feature!). The combat reminds me of an extremely toned-down Severance (okay, I admit, that's not really a CRPG at all), whilst the expansive game world and open-endedness is like a smaller scale Morrowind (I'm sure that's a fairly common comment). And the undefined-class system could be considered a nod to Fallout (and the bugs a nod to Fallout 2 ).

Gothic has its flaws, but it's honestly one of the best CRPGs, no, PC games, I've played since Morrowind came out. And that's saying something for a game that's now four years old and of indie development. I'll be sad to see it end, but hello Gothic II plus NotR!!!
Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:07 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

Reminds me of none (I only played few and I hated them all for the fact that i played Gothic before them). But as a reply to your post, I'd say that Gothics atomosphere of playing is way nicer than Gothic 2s. I just love the plain look of it and the colony with those 3 camps. Just good luck with all it sequences with you
Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:52 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum.......the short story.....nothing is like Gothic and is not even close.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:18 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

i got inlove with g1 when i saw the swamp camp
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:09 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Kamahl
:
The swamp camp isn't good? I think the swamp camp is very good. And gothic1 gives you long gameplay, if you aren't run.
Post Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:50 pm
Monkey Fluff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
This topic has been discussed ad nauseum.......the short story.....nothing is like Gothic and is not even close.

Well that's a completely redundant thing to say. I only wanted to share my thoughts on the game (note: MY thoughts). Needn't have posted if you're sick of discussing it. I think it's untrue to say nothing is like Gothic - in my opinion you can see where the developers have drawn their inspirations, but have come together to make a truly original game.
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:51 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

quote:
Originally posted by Milan Kovacs
quote:
Originally posted by Kamahl
:
The swamp camp isn't good? I think the swamp camp is very good. And gothic1 gives you long gameplay, if you aren't run.

read my post again
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:36 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Monkey Fluff
quote:

Well that's a completely redundant thing to say. I only wanted to share my thoughts on the game (note: MY thoughts). Needn't have posted if you're sick of discussing it. I think it's untrue to say nothing is like Gothic - in my opinion you can see where the developers have drawn their inspirations, but have come together to make a truly original game.

I understand what you are trying to say, but trust me.....when it come to the total package, control, graphics, storyline yada yada......nothing is like Gothic. You don't have to beleive me, read the 4 jillion threads on the subject. Gothic unique, and we love it. Another of my favs is Homeworld, but it has a few knockoffs that don't come close.

What I want to see is a Homeworld game where you visit different world to correct something. While you are on the planet you are a Gothic type warrior........but jesus that script would be hard to write

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:52 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

I second that. Never could thought of a game that is like Gothic.. no wait...I just thought of one.. Gothic 2
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:29 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It also reminds me of Redguard, the Elder Scrolls Adventure. There are certain similarities between the two games, too.
Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:48 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

I must say that playing TES III after playing Gothic made me think of TES III as a bad game. Its world seems just not alive ..
Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:46 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by X-dANGEr
I must say that playing TES III after playing Gothic made me think of TES III as a bad game. Its world seems just not alive ..

Amen.

Yeah, I have played TES III after Gothic and I didn't like it. Then GII came out and I started to kinda hate TES III. Because TES III is a good game, but they should make it more like Gothic Now when GIII comes out and Morrowind oblivion... I wonder ...
Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:38 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I used to like Morrowind a lot but after I played Gothic 2 and 1. Well, lets just say it doesnt feel like the game it used to feel. Although, it is still a good game but it feels very empty.

Statues standing around all day long. Sometimes walking around.

The fighting system makes you look like a chef hacking carrots to pieces with a black batman sword.
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:38 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmm.. Gothic never really reminded me of any previous games I had ever played. My favourite RPG up to Gothic was Baldurs Gate 2, and all the new 3D RPGs just made me sick due to their short and bad story. That's when Gothic came along and set a new standard for me.

Nowadays though, I always compare all games to Gothic. Every other standard is wiped(even BG2, as I realize the graphics engine might be a wee bit outdated). From the first day I played Gothic, there was no comparing Gothic to other games - it was comparing other games to Gothic.

Have to admit though, I have never played Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, so I don't know whether or not I would feel the same way as you if I had before playing Gothic.

I completely agree with you Mazu regarding Morrowind. I completed it not too long ago, and even though it is still a good game, it doesn't even come close to Gothic 1-2. Like I said, Gothic simply set a new standard for me.
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:57 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

i never completed bg2 cuz i had some wiered probs with it.I only played the begining and thats it.The graphic bothered me too cuz i couldnt see shit
Post Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:37 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next