53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

World of Warcraft - Im so there!!

With Dark Age of Camelot still inducing a slight malfeasance within my gastrointesinal tract, I look on most MMORPG's with some amount of disdain. Yes, at first it is a glorious concept and great fun. But like a good jolt of amphetemines, the thrill is relatively short-lived, and coming down and realisation of the truth is rough. Find yourself somewhere, alone, trapped between the empty server and the empty world outside at 3:30 am, all dressed up and nowhere to go. Or even a full server, bored and trapped again between that and the manic bustling world outside, not eager to engage with either. Finally getting out of and away from it is an effort in itself, but once one has done that I have found I look back on MMORPG's with disdain.

World of Warcraft very well may be the game to re-light the fire within me for MMORPG's, for better or for worse. It sounds like they are taking the concept in sme good directions-
-"nonplayer characters won't simply exist in the world for the sake of it--they will move about, do things, and generally behave in a lifelike fashion."
-"Even when you first start out, you'll be fighting against imposing creatures that will be worthy adversaries, rather than near-defenseless critters that don't deserve your wrath"
-" including high-level teleport and death-touch spells, as well as the blizzard spell that rains down a torrent of ice on groups of foes, just like in Warcraft III"
-"characters will be able to fend for themselves, too. Blizzard is designing the game to appeal to both hard-core and casual players--and both those who like to play with other players, and those who like to adventure by themselves." (this I particularly like, i like soloing sometimes and soloing in DAoC means quick death or atrocious healing rates oft times)
-"Though Blizzard did not disclose details as to how player-vs.-player combat (or PVP) would be integrated into World of Warcraft, it did plainly state that PVP is intended to be a significant, interesting, and optional part of the game."
-

There is a good review on Gamespot with some IMHO mind-blowing screenshots. I am a subscriber so I can access the review, Im not sure if everyone can. If not, let me know and I will copy and paste the review-
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2809173,00.html
Awesome most recent gameplay trailer- (divx format)
http://www.blizzard.com/wow/movies/
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:38 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I think one preview I read said that some fans would give there first born to get in on the early testing. I think I fall into that group. I’ve already watched the newest trailer half a dozen times... The PCs fighting the huge giant in the arena. I think I’ll go watch that again. That gives me happy feelings.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:48 pm
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

*raises hand, and smiles*

My uncle works for Blizzard. Everything that has come out of it doors has been beta'd by me and I get a copy of everything. All I have to say is I like the WoW internal beta more than I like most full MMORPG's out right now. I've been helping with artwork and minor systems.

I guess you could say I'll be there.

Unreal 2: The Disappointment
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:22 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Cool! Ive got a couple old Squirrel Clan members that will be more than likely be there as well. Maybe we can form a guild or somthing ='.'=

Would be cool to game with RPGdotters
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:32 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

World of Warcraft looks great! The new ingame trailer were really nice, to bad I don't have a credit card.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:00 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Maybe there will be other ways of payment?Over 10$ a month. Were am I supose to get that kind of money?I think t won't be realesed untill winter 2004.
But the game sure looks great.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:24 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Getting the money would not be a problem for me, its just that no one in my family have a credit card...
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:09 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Things go the other way for me, my parents have a card, but I don't have any money, well alteast not enough to pay 120$ a year. And I'm not even dreaming about my parents paying for the game, they think computers are evil et.etc.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:24 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

hmm... honestly, i dont see what you see in WoW, so i vote "no." Games such as Dragon Empires & SWG are much more sophisticated. World of Warcraft is being made for the masses, and everyone knows what happens to dumbed down gameplay: it fails. Unfortunately WoW will succeed because of its namesake. I will not be playing this one since other upcoming MMORPGs will have my attention for years to come.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:27 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

It’s all a matter of preferance. Games who's main point is to kill everyone else before they kill you don’t appeal to me at all. Personally I want a much more casual style of gameplay. And I don’t see how you can say that any game is more advanced than WoW since very little of the game has been revealed. Just because one game appeals to you more than another doesn’t necessarily make it any more sophisticated.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:51 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I think the system that EQ uses for payment, Rawis, the cards you can buy for like "1 month of play" at a store like a long distance card is going to catch on and be used more in the future with MMORPGs. Alot of people dont have credit cards that would like to play, you can also get a debit card with a Visa logo on it and use that (thats what I always do, i seldom use an actual "credit card" online)
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:49 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Well i apologize for my temper.

But i am not going to talk on these boards again because you hurt my feelings.

I will visit the frontpage website though.

But i will refrain from commenting on any newsbits b'cuz it doesnt matter to any of you. I might as well be a shadow.

Not like any of you give a hoot.

Last edited by Ammon777 on Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:01 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

I wonder will anyone miss you.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:20 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

='.'= *blinks*

ANYway... im excited to play it because Ive been playing WC3 alot and have really started to like that whole "universe". I wonder if the Orcs are going to have giant wolves to ride, that would be awesome! I like the slightly off-angular cartoony look of it too, and the armor is sweet looking.Supposedly there is going to be more "roleplaying" elements too, if'n you want more than just hack and slash.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:43 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Well on several photos you can see humans siting on horses, so maybe orcs will have wolfes?

And I really would like to know what will you be able to do if you play as a thief, stealling from other players would be reall fun
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next