Shadowbane?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Shadowbane?

I just saw a preorder box thingie at the store for this game. Is it supposed to be good? On that note...are there possibley any mmorpgs that don't require you to buy millions of expansion packs just to play the latest stuff? EQ used to do that and I had to consistently play catch up and buy when I had spare cash. Also for awhile AC only required you to buy one box and most of the updates were done in game. Though I stopped playing AC cause I kept dying and losing all my gear out in the middle of nowhere. Also.....besides EQ....which mmorpgs are decently populated. I don't care for worlds where I feel like I'm the only one on the planet and I can hear the wind blow and actually have to pass time talking to npcs when I am taking a break from a lengthy day(figuratively speaking) of battle. Thanks in advance.
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:14 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Shadowbane is a gankfest player-killer's heaven. Seriously, its a kingdom-based PK paradise. You can build a shop and watch your enemies (other players) destroy it. You can be killed by anyone, at any time. Most importantly (to me anyway), the graphics are poor. I mean really poor. I was in beta in this game and i quit after i realized that there is a better kingdom-battles/clan game called Darkfall (which may be a long time coming)... anywayz

Star Wars Galaxies is going to have TONS of people playing.

hope this helps

P.S. stay away from Shadowbane!
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:47 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Seriously Ammon, I only hope and pray that you will not be disapointed when SWG is finished otherwise I think I'll cry along with you

Now, the only currently released game that I can think of to suggest (again) from what you are describing is DAoC. It has the second most players online out there after EQ, it has only one expansion pack that is great but not necessarily needed to enjoy the game, and it's as much fun as any other MMORPG out there.

Shadowbane won't be out for some time still, and as Ammon already mentioned it's slated to be a player-vs-player concentration camp. If you don't care for that, then stay away. But if the idea of being able to backstab anyone you meet appeals to you, Shadowbane might be your cup-o-tea
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:34 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
Shadowbane is a gankfest player-killer's heaven. Seriously, its a kingdom-based PK paradise. You can build a shop and watch your enemies (other players) destroy it. You can be killed by anyone, at any time. Most importantly (to me anyway), the graphics are poor. I mean really poor. I was in beta in this game and i quit after i realized that there is a better kingdom-battles/clan game called Darkfall (which may be a long time coming)... anywayz

As a betatester i can say thats a load of BS.
Post Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:12 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

People say that SB sucks cos;They are bored to levelling based systems, they treat beta like its a final product and they dont like waiting.

Like little girls:"If i cant get X NOW i will SCREAM!!!!"

Overall it could be called as the opposite of hype.

Ive played sb a lot lately and its going real well. Its a good game.
Post Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:17 am
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thats good to hear, Ive been looking forward to SB but Ive heard a lot of slander of it. Good to hear someone whos enjoying it.

Im definatly gonna give it a go once its released anyway and I have a lot of friends who will aswell.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:43 pm
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

slander?

People who as you put it slander isnt a correct term. Opinion yes, and though any opinions coming from beta testers is a breach of the nda. You should consider the source of said opinions and rumors.

I for one hope they drop the nda before the game gos live, because I will be curious if the other hard core SB fans like myself have the same opinions I have of the in game status.
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:34 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Well, they just released patch 4.00 and they are opening the flood gates. 10,000 new testers are been let in this weekend. Release is not far away.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:28 pm
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

You gotta wonder....

With the influx of 8k people in January...And another 10k people this month. Hmm when is the release? March 16th supposedly, and yet they wont have a pure open beta, and so far show no signs of dropping the nda until release.

Anyone with a smart cell in thier brain can see a question mark to the purchase of a game under that condition. Thus stands the old saying..Buyers Beware!
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:01 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

That warning goes to all games. Its just common sense. Id sure like to see open betas in mmorpgs like sb and swg.

But what makes sb different from AO for instance is that its not *that* bad. And the main thing, even though sb would have a shaky release, its still a good game about kingdoms and thrones, instead of been another boring EQ/UO remake treadmill.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:16 am
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I actually think they will drop the NDA in SWGs latest beta stage. But dont quote me on that.

Oh and Farseer, thanks for the english lesson
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:14 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Re: You gotta wonder....

quote:
Originally posted by Farseer
With the influx of 8k people in January...And another 10k people this month. Hmm when is the release? March 16th supposedly, and yet they wont have a pure open beta, and so far show no signs of dropping the nda until release.

Anyone with a smart cell in thier brain can see a question mark to the purchase of a game under that condition. Thus stands the old saying..Buyers Beware!

quote:
Originally posted by Ubi
02/19 - Shadowbane Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) Lifted!
Shadowbane fans around the world rejoice! En-Tranz Entertainment and Ubi-Soft are pleased to announce that as of today, the Shadowbane beta test NDA has been lifted. Shadowbane is a Massively multiplayer online game, focusing on player controlled game mechanics like city building and guild warfare. After an extensive beta test, both En-Tranz and Ubi-Soft are working towards launch in their respective regions (Asia and North America).

The Shadowbane NDA prohibited testers from releasing any information about the product, including screenshots, skill descriptions, and unauthorized accounts of guild warfare. The NDA lift comes as both regions ramp up beta participation, with En-Tranz adding 30,000 new testers to the Asia-Pacific servers in the coming weeks, and Ubi-soft adding an additional 20,000 users to the North American beta test.

Looks like they dropped it!
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:29 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

With the dropped NDA, here are some reads:

Gamerift's beta review

Player review
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:35 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by player2player.net

Game Play:
It will earn the name "Shadowcrack". It is fun, and I have enjoyed every moment of it. Not only that, but you don?t even have to be "hardcore" to play. I have played less then 10 hours a week in beta, and have had a blast. The easy level grind lets even casual players advance to the point where they can enjoy the finer points of the game just like the hardcore players. The hardcore players just get to spend more time enjoying the finer points. It?s like an all-you-can-eat buffet. You all get access to the same stuff, but if you spend less time there or only get one plate you don?t get to try everything.

So that's my basic run down. I have found the game to be very fun. The Diablo-style of movement takes a little getting used to, but it grows on you.

The player base, while a little more aggressive, is not a bunch of griefers that just run around grief killing each other. People learn very quickly on n00b island, where there is no PvP, that if they work together they are rewarded (on n00b island by getting more exp).

In a nutshell, it's a fun game worth your time and effort. I recommend that, if there is an open beta, you take a look. I know I'll be playing the game once it goes to retail

www.player2player.net.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:38 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

i can't wait for shadowbane ...

wolfpack kicks ass ... by basically eliminating the agonizing level treadmill (yes you must level but it is not anywhere near as tiresome or lenghty as eq or daoc) they will have made the mmorpg genre fun for me once again ... i vastly enjoy pvp to camping mobs ... i played eq but only on zek servers and once i got lvl 30 with my ranger i stopped levelling and just killed people, it was entirely more fun than fighting monsters and grinding for xp all damn day ...

i'm so glad shadowbane is not turning into vaporware as so many faithless detractors have tried to say it would ... there isn't another mmorpg that even comes close to the coolness of shadowbane in my humble opinion ...
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:54 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next