Spoiler, Need help with Prison breakout quest
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - Spoilers

Author Thread
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Spoiler, Need help with Prison breakout quest

Can you liberate the guard captain from the "brain" creature? How do you kill or capture the "brain"(that's what I call it, can't remember the real name of it)? Examining it shows that it is invincible. Help!
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:22 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

Devorer? He was pretty immune to magic. I killed him under patch 1.18 by buffing Daelan up and we smashed him into pieces.
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:06 pm
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Figured it out!

Found a magic wand that summoned a bore, that thing was mean, tore the devourer up! Then I went back to replay it and couldn't remember where that wand is hidden! lol[/code]
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:08 pm
Kane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In my experience, my Half-orc Barbarian Brute when in there and smashed the Head Gaoler to pieces (:p) and then the little creature took hold of -inhabited - basically all the other guards, body by body, and I had to smack through all of them.

Eventually he runs out of hosts though, and then you kill the little creature and the loot it leaves is it's brain.

This game r0x0rz!
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:05 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Intellect Devourer

Kane is right,

The Devourer will inhabit all the guards one at a time.

One tactic is to take out the guards BEFORE they get posessed.

I am an elf mage/fighter. I had Tomi Undergallows, Dire Boar (summoned) and my Familiar (Hellhound). The Devourer is hard and I did get through a boatload of health potions.

When hes dead, you can pick up his brain.

Use the stone to teleport back to the temple and talk to whatshername and receive your xp.

Next stop the Beggars Nest (zombies.................)

Regards,

Hex
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:46 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

You can convince the guards to leave by persueding them to leave. Just talk to them and then choose the persuede option.

As for killing the Intellect Devourer when it finally leaves the body of it's host - it seemed really easy. It may be a bug but my 4th level ranger killed it. It took ages but it's attacks were a bit weedy so I just stood and hit it until it stopped er.... breathing???

I choose the Prison district first as it was the most obvoius one for the creature. I knew straight awya what I would find (too many years of D&D me thinks )
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:15 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
You can convince the guards to leave by persueding them to leave. Just talk to them and then choose the persuede option.

As for killing the Intellect Devourer when it finally leaves the body of it's host - it seemed really easy. It may be a bug but my 4th level ranger killed it. It took ages but it's attacks were a bit weedy so I just stood and hit it until it stopped er.... breathing???

I choose the Prison district first as it was the most obvoius one for the creature. I knew straight awya what I would find (too many years of D&D me thinks )

4th Level sounds about right...I beat it in 1.10 so it had all it's powers.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:47 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I beat it at fourth level as well. My mage had an easier time of it than my rogue did, of course.

Red Tiger will mulch it as long as you can keep him alive while its spells wear off (spells that paralyze, etc). Casting a healing spell will get you attack of opportunitied, but feeding him a potion by dragging to his portrait won't.

Just keep him alive and hammer it with spells (or arrows, or whatever). It's certainly tough and I strongly recommend having the Stone of Recall hotkeyed PERIOD. Yes it's a wimp out to retreat and get healed up... but if you have to, you have to. The game was designed with that 'retreat!' option in mind.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:17 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Gaijin
quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik

4th Level sounds about right...I beat it in 1.10 so it had all it's powers.

So they removed some powers in the later patch? (or am i getting confused about the patch numbers? I have an unpatched version at the minute).

I found that after it had emptied it confusion spells and such it just attacked me - and did rubbish damage so I just stood there hitting it. At this point I didn't have a henchman so I was alone. The other fights were thougher than this one I think (Can't really remember now ).
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:49 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

In patch 1.18 they accidently disabled creatures spell like abilities. 1.19 put them back.

Once it's out of confusions and such it is just a straight out blow for blow slugfest... but the thing hits remarkably often.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:46 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
In patch 1.18 they accidently disabled creatures spell like abilities. 1.19 put them back.

Once it's out of confusions and such it is just a straight out blow for blow slugfest... but the thing hits remarkably often.

Thanks EverythingXen, Guess I should patch my game - it just took me so long to get it working with my soundcard that I'm scared that patching may stop it working
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:17 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Not an invalid concern. After I patched to 1.19 it's a coin toss as to whether it loads without manually repatching before loading it every time.

Hoping the next patch is soon and it addresses virtual function calls (I crash in multiplayer when I'm changing armor fairly often).

Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:03 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

Hoping the next patch is soon and it addresses virtual function calls (I crash in multiplayer when I'm changing armor fairly often).

As a work around you could always just play a monk
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:03 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I could, and I've always wanted to... however... in a multiplayer environment I'd still change my clothing fairly often. For example, in a dungeon I'll lower myself to wear ugly studded leather armor... but in town there's no need for it and I'll switch to a normal outfit.

With a monk, I'd probably have an inventory tab full of outfits and change them on a regular basis.

Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:34 pm