Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Should I pick up European English version or wait for US?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Douglas Mcc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Should I pick up European English version or wait for US?

I noticed GoGamers has the European release for 37.50. I have been going through a Gothic withdrawal since I played through 1 again before the previous shipping day fell through. I figure that even with shipping, that price is what I would pay for the US version in October or November. My question is wheither there is any reason to wait. Any major glitches or bugs in the European version that would make me regret the purchase? Are they adding anything to the US release that might be worth the wait (I hate buying games or DVDs more than once ). Any info or opinions is welcome.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:02 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Just get it - it's fine. When games are released in the US first as they often are, those of us who import them to get them earlier certainly don't worry that the US version might be inferior to our later released one.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:12 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

the UK version is good enough and there are not much bugs inside also
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:12 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

The code is the same. Atari may only change the box cover and bink video company logos to remove JoWood an Infogrames off of it to reflect the true present publisher Atari; a legal thingy maybe in USA. Or they may just leave as is except for a new box cover. To redo the code would not be profitable. Any patches might be added in the coming add-on expansion.IMHO.

Go buy it...everyone else has a copy..and I did good too. Why wait? You know you want it, October is a long time away.....buy, buy before it is too late! It may not even be sold here! No more copies, never know...a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush...
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The bug situation isnīt as good as the others say. Some new issues the German version never had were introduced with the UK-version. PB are working on a patch. Donīt expect it in the next few weeks, though.
I still think itīs probably in better condition than part 1. Especially the stability problems are gone (if your PC is configured correctly).
So if you donīt mind having to insert a lost item here and there you should buy the UK version. The game is great.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:54 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

if u dont rush too much in the game then there will be no bugs also after all i didnt see no bug like something would dissapear but only 1 bug was that if u jump into water there were its not deep then our Hero will get stuck and thats it u cant do nothing else only exit the game or reload ur last save
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:02 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hey buy it from gogamer
the gliches will still be there when its released in the us only thing different is they might change box cover, and its also possible that they would include the patch in the game cd's instead of you guys with crappy internet connections having to take a hour to download it but besides that its all good
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:35 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Gorath
Do you mean that there will be a new physical version CD with the patch coming from PB on it for USA release, or will it just be a patch for BOTH versions?

It seems it would be expensive to remake another gold master just for USA since both versions are the same English language.

Will there be two versions? Or just the same one, with the patch for both?

THX for your knowledge for this question. Most games released always seem to need a patch.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:49 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

personally i think it would make sense to include the patch with the game after all what else would take the extra 5 months to release it in the us
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:34 am
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Well, I can only say that I've been waiting for the US version myself, but I finally got tired of waiting and ordered it from Gogamer on Saturday. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow! October's just too loonnngggg to wait!

I mean, why wait? Any patches that come out will be downloadable and the price here probably won't be any lower.

Totally off topic, but if anyone wants a chuckle; I e-mailed Atari, asking the following questions:

1). Is there going to be an English Language Demo of the game?
2). Are you also going to be the distributor for the expansion that's in progress?
3). Why doesn't a search of your U.S. website find a listing for this game?
4). Could you do something about getting the Official English Gothic 2 Web Site updated? (PET PEEVE)

I got the following answer:

"The game should be out in October 2003 as for an expansion goes, I am unaware of an expansion being in the works. As the game comes closer to its release date I'm sure it will post on our site, although I do not work in the tech. department so answering some of these questions is a bit difficult. This is just a PR email address which fields Press requests from journalists. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful."

[name removed by Gorath]
Atari, Inc

So, the good news about Atari is that at least they answer their e-mails.
The bad news is that their clueless!
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:54 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

PB will update their site when they have the time for it. Since their webmaster is a) on the dev team and b) a student , his time is severely limited right now.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:16 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
@Gorath
Do you mean that there will be a new physical version CD with the patch coming from PB on it for USA release, or will it just be a patch for BOTH versions?

It seems it would be expensive to remake another gold master just for USA since both versions are the same English language.

Will there be two versions? Or just the same one, with the patch for both?

THX for your knowledge for this question. Most games released always seem to need a patch.

I have no idea. This is Atariīs decision. But does it matter whether the patch is included or you have to install it?
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:10 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i am sure they gonna release a patch for german , uk and us version after they get some time right now like i understand they have no time for that cos fans allready waiting for expansion pack (like me )
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:27 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712

Atari would probably want to remove the JoWood logo, being the evil corporate entity they are, and to do that they'd need to modify the master I'm guessing.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:26 am
joshuax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I ordered the game from gogamer.com and so far I've had a blast. It's just as quirky and bug-ridden as the original, and quests are just as easy to break. But geez just like the first one it's great! Go figure.
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:08 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next