Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Character Building Ideas/Advice/Suggestions?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Obi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Character Building Ideas/Advice/Suggestions?

Hello again Elder Scroll III gamers:

First off great forum! How's about a little Character building Ideas/advice/suggistions? Here's what I came up with befor I reinstall 'Morrowind' & installed the expansions last night! e.g.

Race - Imperial

Name - Advenrure

Speciaialization -Combat

Favorite Attributes - Agility & Strength

Major Skills: Short Blade, Long Blade, Light Armor, Speechcraft, Restoration

Minor Skills: Block, Security, Conjunration, Axe, Mercantile

Birth Sign - Lady

How's that look? I've also read in this forum, first timers might wont to choose something premade(?)!

Thanks in advance! Happy gaming!!
Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:55 pm
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

That looks fine. It doesn't really matter because, to put it bluntly, it's easy as shit. It's even easier if you make your sign the Tower (unlock all locks that are >50 lock level) which gives you access to tons ph4t l3wt in the first five minutes of the game. By level 15 you're a god and nothing can touch you except the occasional vampire. In all honesty, I had the most fun role-playing as a farmer (using the wild growth mod, of course).
Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:28 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Basically, any combat skills you have will last you the whole game. I would take and use long blade more, you'll find some really nice long swords in the game. If you actually work on improving your conjuring skill, it'll come in handy in pinches. The class you have should work out quite well.
Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:09 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Character

I wouldn't choose agility unless you are going to wear light armor. Also the conjuration secondary ability. Think you are wasting your time on that. Most stuff you'll be able to conjure will be so much weaker than you are it's not funny. Also don't choose short and long blade as a primary skill. Choose one, long is better for a fighter. Why choose mercantile? You will make a lot of money anyways. Add marksmen as a major skill, you need a bow if you aren't a mage. That would go good with the agility choice. I've never used a bow.. I'm a mage most of the time. Just a few things I saw.
Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:57 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

If you do recreate a class, go with speechcraft as well. Put it as secondary and it will be useful once in a while. I would stick with summoning, just make sure you train it once and a while, and improve your mana points.
Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:09 am
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: newbie questions

1. mercantile is useless.

2. select one of the three weapons(short blade/long blade/axe).

3. consider adding blunt weapon, it is a good choice to deal with reflect/magic resistent opponents.

4. An alternative to agility is personality.

5. If you only use enchanted weapons( as most people did ), then conjuration is not a good choice. Also select only one of the magic skill as major and minor favourites. Try to select a magic skill that is listed in both mage guild and tribunal temple guild. I selected mysticism.

6. Even if at the beginning you use only light armour, eventually you will have a mix of armour components. Ex: deadric shields, Lord Mail armour are heavy category.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:18 pm
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

An interesting skill to not put as a primary or secondary, but to level up anyway is hand-to-hand...use the mud crabs and fish to level it up.

At a later stage enchant a ring(yourself or pay at the temple) that drains fatigue as much as possible (on touch, range ets) drain your target, pop your sword in your sheath, smack him a few times and down he goes, whip the sword out....smack smack....when he stands up, left hook to the jaw, crumples...out with the sword...smack smack....repeat

The biggest shock I had was finding the murderer of the taxman in the start.
Me = armour, sword, strength, way way way too much confidence....and the bugger smacked me to death with his bare hands
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:46 pm
Breton_mage
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Allways make skills which are easy to increase like alchemy acrobatics and mercantile minor skills. They dont go as fast to 100 as other but you do get lvls for it!
Post Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:59 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Breton_mage
Allways make skills which are easy to increase like alchemy acrobatics and mercantile minor skills. They dont go as fast to 100 as other but you do get lvls for it!
Most times, you'll level too quickly with that strategy. Athletics, acrobatics, and alchemy should generally be left as misc skills.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:46 am
Breton_mage
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Of course not then they would have no use... you wont level with them in misc, so keep them in minor!
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:58 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Like I said, you'll level too quickly with those as minor skills. Your character level will increase faster than your collection of skills will, which could cause you to be underpowered.

For example (and I'm making up the numbers here), a level 10 character should have an average skill of 60. If you use acrobatics, athletics, or alchemy as minors, you'll make level 10 while your average skill is still in the 40's.
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:21 pm
Breton_mage
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

How would it make you underpowered??? You just lvl faster your skills dont go up slower, and i dont think anyone here would just go 10 lvls higher with a mayor or minor skill and then just lvl without first lvling a misc skill. If ur indeed that stupid then you shouldn't of course but if you're smart enoguh u will.

And btw BEING UNDERPOWERED WITH MORROWIND????

Dude get real!
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:16 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Skills do not level, dude.

Bethesda designed the game assuming that your misc skills will increase in the same proportion as your character's level. Since acro, athletics, and alch increase so quickly compared to the other skills, having those as majors or minors means that the character will not have enough opportunity to increase the misc skills and keep them in balance with the character's level.

Feel free to search our threads here for other opinions. You'll find that perhaps I'm not half as stupid as you think.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:21 pm
Breton_mage
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Mayor and minor skills make you level dude

I dont understand the problem... I really dont understand why it's bad if you are strong cuz you level a lot.... And why is it handy to have skills that lvl fast in the misc section? Then they are worthless for lvling...... I dont care about having my misc skills high like spear and heavy armor, i only use my mayor and minor skills!

p.s who i dont use acrobatics and athletics anyway... who needs them if you can fly from seyda neen to sadrith mora in 20 seconds?

Last edited by Breton_mage on Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:39 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I guess that's the beauty of MW-- you can play it however you darn well please. If it works for you, by all means go with it.
Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:09 pm