Blasters vs swords
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Blasters vs swords

I've been playing KotOR for a couple of days and for a variety of reasons I'm not quite as impressed as I thought I'd be after seeing all of those near-100% reviews. It's early days, though, and perhaps I just need to come to grips with some issues. Anyway, I have a some questions about blasters, swords and combat.

1. Blasters seem underpowered. Despite having a higher Dex than Strength which gave me better bonuses for blasters, I seem to be much more successful with swords - not to mention I can't find a blaster that does near the damage of a vibroblade I got right near the beginning.

2. Perhaps part of the reason is that there's shields against blasters which even further encourages melee weapons. I have Ion blasters which will take down shields but changing weapons back and forth is a real pain with the interface. Which leads me to...

3. It seems a waste to use ranged feats. Those feats are abandoned when you get a lightsabre whereas at least a couple of the melee feats still apply.

Am I missing something? Perhaps it's not a big deal but I just can't get used to the idea of swords being superior in a sci-fi setting and it seems to make the ranged combat path a poor choice compared to melee.
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:05 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

You are correct my friend. Blasters are WAY underpowered, even the most powerful ones are not very effective. The vibroblades and enhanced lightsabers are MUCH better. The game really picks up after you finish Taris which is quite linear and restrictive. I made a save game after Taris, and when I played through the second time, I began by using that save game so I could skip the first section. I suggest you make use of grenades on Taris, since they become less useful later in the game. Lob a grenade and then use your vibroblade to mop up. Later on, you'll rarely use your ranged blaster NPC's, 3 Jedi's kick you know what!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:08 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Well, it's for the enemy's own good that their blaster bolts don't come flying back at them on a course set to do about 60 dmg.

At the bottom of this page, there is a description on how to build a blaster Jedi.
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:08 pm