Nope.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Thread
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

@mDrop, install Xp and dualboot with w2k. If you like it, format c: and make a fresh clean instalation.
@Ammon, when I asked about upgrading from Win2000 to XP, everybody told me to do so. It turned out the stability-problems I had wasn´t as much a OS-related one, but rather a hardware related, but now I have XP, and I like it. The only bad thing is the clear imitaion of those horrible fruit-computers. *shudders* I want my desktop to look as minimalistic as possible, and not like some happy-happy-land of mushrooms and balloons.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:58 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

Yeah When I first installed XP and saw the "fields of green" theme I was like, "what are these guys thinking?" I was happy it was possible to change it all.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:09 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

@Pinnen:

But you do know about StyleXP patch and lots of styles (including simplistic ones), don't you ?
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:50 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Yay, I know, but at the same time I think that maybe this is the new melody. Maybe it should be all colorful and cuddly. Plus, just like Jericho at work it´s all XP. Round, bubbly XP. XP with lots of colors and changing desktopthemes and all kinds of other cute horrors. So to minimalize(sp?) confusion on my own behalf, I stick to the not-so-colorful-and-cute-but-same-layout-XP at home.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:10 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by Provis
@Suicidal Cockroach
1. Did you do a fresh install or did you install overtop of 98?
Things for me always goes smoother when I do a fresh install.
2. About the games running off center, did you try adjusting your moniter?
3. What is the problem with Internet Explorer?
4. You can turn off program stacking by right clicking the taskbar, and un checking "Group similar taskbar buttons".

1. Overtop. Don’t look at me like that, I had a lot of stuff to back up, and I was afraid I would unknowingly miss something important.
2. Yeah, but it doesn’t work. It seems that, for reasons I will probably never understand, the part that I don’t see is all compacted into one line of pixels. I think, that Windows XP just has problems with the TNT2 video card/software. If that is the case then all of these really strange glitches I get (the ones I get while running games, which constitutes about 90% of the non IE related ones) should go away when I get a better card. For Christmas and B-day, which are only a couple weeks apart, I just told everyone to give me gift cards for Best Buy so I could afford one.
3. I used to have @home cable internet service, when I installed their software it modified IE and now XP has a heart attack whenever I try to run it. And I don’t think what it installed is even in the IE file because I, and a friend of mine that knows a hell of a lot more about computers than I do, searched for the files but where unable to find them. And I’m not with @home anymore so their service people won’t help me. But it’s OK, because they gave me a browser that is similar to IE that works fine.
4. Oh, thank you.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:30 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

I suggest you backup all the files you need and make a clean XP installation. It sounds like there is something quit messy about the whole current one.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:17 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

IMO StyleXP is the biggest ripoff ever. All you need to use custom themes is a hacked uxtheme.dll

@Suicidal Cockroach

I hope the new video card solves your problems. One thing though, if you get a non-nvidia(sp?) card, make sure you uninstall everything related to nvidia on the computer including registry entries. I've heard stories of people having horrible stability problems when switching from nvidia to ati or matrox. That is unless you plan to do a fresh reinstall.

The @Home thing is weird, I used to have it too and it never messed up my browser. Granted I only had it installed for about 10 minutes to see what their software looked like. Even after I uninstalled it still left IE "Branded", but all that does is change a few registry keys (software that allows you to do the same thing here)

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:28 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

WinXP is best win system I ever used and I used W3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000 and XP. You can send all eye-candy away if you want to, you can turn many features off, if you want to have more like W2000 system. Still it is very good choice for gaming and personal computers...
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:43 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2