Usergroups
MM9 - After 3 hours into the game...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
bearcub
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ah! you are finally getting to really play the game.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:57 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

So, in other words, my decision to put MM9 aside for a while and fire up Wiz8 again may be a little hasty?

Seriously, I keep waiting for the game to grab me and it just hasn't happened yet. Do I just need to keep going a few more hours for things to really get rolling? The imp quest problem totally killed what little momentum the game had for me at that point. I despise the new automap, which isn't going to get any better. Beyond that, I guess I don't have any major complaints.

What say ye, friends? Plod along some more, or replay a game that DID suck me in?
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:26 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I'll post my first impressions the next few days here at RPGDot.

Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:45 pm
bearcub
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Definatly go to the second town and play around.

Having played wiz I know how good a game that was. Wizardry definatly starts slower, but gets better
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 12:08 am
Di
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've just finished M&M9, and trust me it's no Wizardry 8, which I utterly adored. Now I utterly adored M&M7 too, and to a slightly lesser extent M&M8. I *did* enjoy M&M9... but considerably less than its predecessors. (BTW, the game gets MUCH more intriguing later on, story-wise.) The interface is more difficult to deal with, the little things like condition icons to let you know what your PC's have contracted or whether that Bless spell is still active, and the NPC's have zero personality... they do not say a single word. Then again, your PC's don't say much either. Seems to me my PC's in prior M&M's had more personality.

I like the new magic/skill system. Much simpler. The story untangles itself slowly, but is frankly a great story, better than the others IMHO. There's just something missing with M&M9 that I can't quite put my finger on. It's M&M, kinda-sorta, but it's not really. Does that make the slightest bit of sense?

Oh, well. Enough rambling. I think the game is worth playing, despite a few more bugs and broken quests than I'd care for. FWIW.

~Di
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:34 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Well folks, I played it as far as the third town. I can see it's getting better, but I'm putting it away for a week or two. I think that I had too high of expectations for it to live up to. I'm really upset about the awful automap, but I think the "MM magic" might just kick in. I'll give it another shot later.

Di, looks like we might have similar tastes. Lots of people didn't care for MM7, but it's one of my top five ever. Wiz8 might bump it's way onto the top five list as well. MM8 was the first RPG I finished without a guide book or using boards for help. I was so proud. How far back in the MM saga did you go?
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:30 am
Di
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

dteowner, I fear I'm a relative M&M newbie, so I hesitate even to speak amongst those revered old-timers who go back to the first couple of golden oldies. I first played M&M8, was stunned I enjoyed it so much. I managed to find M&M7 on the web and ordered it, and to my shock enjoyed it even more! So naturally I couldn't wait to get my paws on M&M9.

I'd like to say I wasn't disappointed in MM9, but the truth is that I was. Still, it's a fun game, truly worth playing in spite of some bugs, and the final dungeon is just about the scariest thing I've ever done! Hope when you pick the game back up later on you're more able to get into it.

~Di
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:08 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2