Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I found Gothic extremely boring, is G2 better?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I found Gothic extremely boring, is G2 better?

I just couldn't get into Gothic at all. I got dumped into the game, wandered to the first town and then spent hours and hours talking to people trying to find out what was needed to get to some action. I played for over 20 hours and I didn't fight more than 15-20 creatures. Half of those were various townspeople (Mud, the arena dude, and the guy that lures you outside
for an ambush.) Gothic seemed more like an adventure game than a crpg,
IMHO. Games that don't balance combat and leveling(stat-building) evenly
with storyline ( text, books, conversation) get boring quickly for me. I don't want to read for two hours between quests. Quests that are completable in
2 minutes are also very boring. "Hey, Bob doesn't like me. Can you go get my sword from him and bring it back to me?" This is not a quest. It's a chore. Does G2 improve in any of these areas? Planescape Torment was another game of this ilk. I know many people loved these games, but I'm
hoping for more action/variety this time. If I want just a story, I'll read a book.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:03 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

1 thing! THE BOOKS WHERE JUST FOR FUN! I NEVER READ A BOOK AND STILL FINISHED THE GAME!

Gothic II Credits
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:06 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Your first goal in Gothic is to join one of the camps. To do that you will have to run some errands. After you work you way up a bit into one of the camps, you will get better equipment and better quests as the plot kicks in. You should also learn hunting skill to make more money and improve. Reading the books is not necessary.

I haven't played G2, but all indications are that it is better than G1, which is the best RPG Ive ever played.

Last edited by Jung on Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:19 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Gothic 2 is very similar to Gothic, especially the beginning when you select a guild is very similar to what you did to join one of the camps in part 1 (a minor gripe of myself actually). It is improved in many areas and I would say there is plenty of low-level action, but its not very different from Gothic 1 - where there were always enough creatures in the woods if you got bored.
I would like to interest you for Gothic 2, since I think its a great game, but honestly, if you didnt like the first part there is nothing in the second part that will make you like it that much better.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:20 pm
Srchbayne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

NO COMMENT
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:27 pm
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think u are in the wrong forums if u don't like gothic

Also u can't expect a game that emulates real social interactions to give u huge important quests straight off.
In my experience it takes time to gain peoples trust for them to give u important tasks, the same is true in gothic.

The majority of your gripes would only apply if u were expecting gothic to be an action adventure, it's a crpg FOOL
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:53 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

No need to get upset. Different people like different kinds of games. I hope we can all tolerate that! CRPGNut didn't say Gothic I was bad, just that it wasn't his/her favorite type, which shows a high level of civility compared to much of what we see on fourms.

crpgnut: Gothic I became a lot more combat-intensive in later chapters. Chapter I was all about scene-setting, but the quests you got after that involve travel/exploration and some difficult fights. One think about combat in Gothic is that there just aren't a lot of easy monsters, and the monsters don't scale (same type always has same hitpoints); because of this you need an alternative way of levelling in the early game, later you could fight as much as you want. (Well, almost, since monsters don't respawn frequently either...)

Haven't played Gothic II, but from what I've seen it may have a similar structure. I will say, from fooling around in the demo, that it seems to me that your character starts stronger relative to the enemies: my newbie character was able to kill several types (including goblins and wolves) with nothing but a heavy branch, when at the same point in G1 I would have been slaughtered by either of those species.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:13 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Re: I found Gothic extremely boring, is G2 better?

I'm going to have to, on behalf of the entire Gothic-Mafia, refute your statement about chores... Would you rather go fetch the Sword of the Undead from the claws of some Really Bad Dude of Mt. Necrophilia when you're level one?
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:47 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

@Srchbayne and AnimalMother:
You are new here, so Iīll explain it to you once. Aggressive behaviour and/or flaming are not the sort of communication we want on the RPGDot forums.

crpgnut asked a more than valid question based upon his experience with Gothic 1. Personal attacks are superfluous.

On the topic:
I agree with the others. G2 is faster but it still feels and plays like Gothic. So itīs most likely not your game.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:49 am
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I wasn't that agressive........was i

Sorry, it's just i can't believe someone doesn't like gothic
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:10 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

quote:
Originally posted by AnimalMother
I wasn't that agressive........was i

Sorry, it's just i can't believe someone doesn't like gothic

well I don't like Gothic either so there. no need to make a big deal out of it and cause problems.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:46 pm
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thats y u come to these forums then...........
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:51 pm
Srchbayne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I am sorry if I was rude but all concerning G I take personally
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:51 am
oE|Crusader
Village Leader
Village Leader

well, may i reccomend some fps games for you gothic not likers

jkii
ef
ut23k
bf1942
rtcw

you see, there is a whole ton of games, made for you that need to kill something in a game or try dungeon seige, there is almost unlimited fighting in that

and perhaps if you would listen to some of the people talking, you would realise there is alot to kill

oh btw: one of thorus's quests is to kill someone. so are some of the ones in the new camp, and one in the sect camp, and if you play it your style (killing everyone in sight) your not going to succeed!

there are 600+ things you can take out in g

about 1400+ in g2

Last edited by oE|Crusader on Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:43 am
gothic sucks
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

youre not alone

edit: inappropriate and insulting language ==> message deleted, user banned.
Gorath
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:45 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next