View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Alchemy skill query

Hi,
The manual mentions eating ingredients as the easiest way to use/raise alchemy skill. I am puzzled. When I highlite an herb, it tels me what the herb should do. I then eat the herb. Most of the time I get back a message staing that there was no effect form consuming the herb. I've never seen a message staing an herbal effect.
What am I missing here? How do I use/raise alchemy?
Howie
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:05 pm
Stompy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's it

That's the basic idea. Same as all the other skills...you don't start getting better at it until you've done it right. Yes, you can see ONE of the effects of the ingredient when you leave your cursor on it, but some of them have up to 4 and I'm guessing you're not seeing those. So just keep eating them and sooner or later you're bound to actually get the effect. That will raise your skill a little bit. Also, using a mortar & pestle to combine 2 (or more) ingredients with the same effect together is another way to try to raise your skill. If you succeed, you'll end up with a potion you can use (or sell), and you skill will increase a little.

Try not to get too frustrated if it seems like you can't make any progress. It can take a long time to start to get good at something. I look at it the exact same way I did when I started doing hand to hand combat. At first I could only hit my target once every 10 or so punches. By the time I was done (and it took a while) I had raised my skill 16 points and hit just about every time I punched. That's the way the system works.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:28 pm

You don't get any message at all if the herb affects you, though if you right-click to leave the menus and then enter the menus again you can probably see the effect in the magic menu along with racial bonuses et cetera. If the ingredient affects you, your alchemy skill progress meter increases.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:36 pm

Thanks for these useful replies!
I really appreciate your help and the great service this board does!!
No, I'll not give up. The game is far too awesome.
Howie
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:03 pm

Kalin

not working?

ive eaten herbs - have had them effect me - and yet my alchemy meter is still 0/100. my skill is a lousy 5 - do i need to eat dozens and dozens of herbs to get to 1/100? thanks for the help.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:11 pm

Go grab yourself a full set (calcinator, mortar, pestle and whatnot - 4 items in total) of alchemy stuff and start making easy 2-component potions. A decent starter set can be found for free in the storage area under the arena canton in Vivec. In some bookstores you can find a book that contains recipes for some useful potions to get you started.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:54 pm

Dave

Alchemy Equipment

Do you have a decent score in Sneak? If you do you can get some top of the line alchemy equipment, at a special five finger discount. I went into one shop and there was all this equipment setting on the shelf. I moved around the room a bit (while sneaking) until I was undetected (sneak icon stayed lit). There were two people in the shop, a guard, and the shopkeeper. I was able to swipe every single piece of equipment on the shelf, and also pick the locks of four chests and take their contents too. In fact, when I went to leave the shop, I found that I was over-encumbered and couldn't move (that alchemy equipment is pretty heavy). So I dumped some other crap I had in my inventory and left. Now if I only had a decent Alchemy skill, it's not even one of my major or minors. Oh well, the Grandmaster Mortar & Pestel I stole is worth 4000 gp though!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 5:05 pm