View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by goshuto
Five levels, actually, as PM requires level 3 of arcane spellcasting. (and any non-good alignment)

quote:
Originally posted by konny666
If you're playing a campaign where everyone ISN'T immune to crits, WMs are extremely useful.

That, unfortunately, isn't the case of the HotU OC, where everybody and their mother is immune to crits. Those that aren't immune are of CR easy or lower, and can be killed with one hit anyway, crit'ing or not.

All I'm saying is, in chapter 2 of the HotU campaign, you can get a WM henchman, and I see him crit'ing *A LOT*. but yeah, i know that most high level creatures are immune to crit. before i stopped playing we were fighting mostly beholders and drow, hadn't gotten to the illithid part of the chapter yet. as i recall there was one part with lots of undead but even without him constantly crit'ing it wasn't too bad. WMs also got some neat other abilities like "Ki Damage" and stuff.

WM is definitely on my list of things to try. In one of my low-level (sub-10) mods I'm trying Dwarven Defender - liking it so far. 3Rogue/5Ftr/XDD.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:11 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by konny666
All I'm saying is, in chapter 2 of the HotU campaign, you can get a WM henchman, and I see him crit'ing *A LOT*. but yeah, i know that most high level creatures are immune to crit. before i stopped playing we were fighting mostly beholders and drow, hadn't gotten to the illithid part of the chapter yet. as i recall there was one part with lots of undead but even without him constantly crit'ing it wasn't too bad. WMs also got some neat other abilities like "Ki Damage" and stuff.

Yes, that fellow can pack quite a punch, and as far as henchmen go, I think he's the best one to have. I just think it's a pity he "wastes" all his criticals on low-level monsters: a hit for 100 damage will kill a goblin, but so will a hit for 30 damage. Later on in the OC, there are some CR Challenging monsters which aren't immune to criticals, but the bosses and high-level ones -- those where the criticals would really help -- are immune.

I think another promising combination would be ranger/wm: combining Bane of Enemies with those criticals would be sweet.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:39 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Xen - Where does it state in NWN that you are limited to only 3 classes? I missed that somewhere. Dang it all! The guy I played HotU with I'd planned was paladin/fighter. I'd intended to go WM later, but as a goof I picked up a few levels of CoT ... then lost the WM option. Never could figure out why!!
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:42 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I had to do a LOT of looking, Lintra, because I didn't check the obvious place until well into the process. Take a peak at the manual for the original game, because I couldn't find any mention of it in HotU or SoU. It's carefully hidden in the section about multiclass characters, page 147.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:07 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
I had to do a LOT of looking, Lintra, because I didn't check the obvious place until well into the process. Take a peak at the manual for the original game, because I couldn't find any mention of it in HotU or SoU. It's carefully hidden in the section about multiclass characters, page 147.

Thanks dte. I was really pretty po'd when I found I could not do WM ... just LOOK at the requirements! I got stuck w/ about 3 feats I never would've taken ... and 4 levels of intimidate (as a CoT thats *8* skill points).

Oh well. It all turned out just ducky, as I found the combo I settled on to be *quite* able to handle most anything (by the time I finished my lowest saving throw was something incredible like a 28 ... hmmmm .... I'll go fire up the last save and check it out)

Edith: Okay, I checked it out. It depended on the load out but I finished with 37/30/27 ... that's with a broach that gives a univeral st add of +6 ... I also finished with a pretty lame secondary ring ... so I am sure these would've been higher if I'd been paying attention, but saw no need.

Also, the blade I used from the moment I found it was Aramil's Blade .. I just could not turn down the +8 to Str - the -4 dex didn't even hurt, as I had some pretty (upto then) useless bracers of dexterty on - I only wore them for the Freedom part. The talking Long sword was cool, but Amaril's was just too kick butt to pass up.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:12 pm
genji
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hey guys.

I'm relatively new here, but I used to frequent the Wizardry 8 forums a couple of years back.

I was wondering, has anyone apart from me seriously tried the Shifter prestige class? There were a couple of sentences written about it in Xen's HotU review, but they weren't exactly glowing with praise.

I started off with a human shifter 7/druid 8, and am now in Chapter 3 with no problems whatsoever, apart from a few hiccups at the beginning. I have found drow and drider form to be extremely useful against spellcasters, while the strength-sapping abilities of the undead forms can reduce most fighters to immobility. AC bonuses stack with many forms, and spell effects (stoneskin, barkskin, etc.) are carried on. I'm sure looking forward to the construct and outsider forms...
Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:19 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I wasn't really impressed with that class, but then again, I've never really been big on playing Druids either.
Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:01 am
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I never got the sorcerer requirement for Dragon Disciple.

The strength additions per level were niceish towards HP and carry load....but you lose out on 10 levels of pure sorcerer which lead to epic spells.....now thats something worth getting.....they just look shiny

I tried Bard 1 - Fighter 21- Dragon 19
Use any spell scroll even timestop
Epic weapon skills
All armours
STRONG!
made a nice fighting char
Immunity to fire helped with the fire elemental stage with the corridor and Mestophiles was a laugh
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:17 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Is Ranger/Harper a good combo?
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:23 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Nothing /Harper is a good combination. The Harper prestige class is terrible.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:04 pm
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

Hi everyone .
im thinking at making a 30monk/10wm. but i don´t know if it works, does the "unarmed strike" counts a melee weapon or as no weapon? and if it works should i take the wm levels early on or wait until i have like 30 monk?

Try this great game now!
http://www.warriors2.com/default.asp?referedby=163834
http://www.regno.se/default.asp?bonusfrom=3111
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:53 am
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Not too sure if fists count as weapon for the WM class....would be nice

Ever tried a pure monk??

Thats sick....immunities...speed(JEEEZ)....and if you take zen archery....you can be lethal with a bow

I cant remember if I ever got a monk/sorcerer/arcane archer using zen archery to work....i think it doesnt allow rapid shot with a bow

Unless it is Pale master, I SUGGEST(dont jump on me) not multi-classing a monk

"I can handle anything that life throws at me. I may not be able to handle it well, or correctly, or gracefully, or with finesse, or expediently - but I will handle it. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well DANCE!!!!!"
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:47 am
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

yes i have tried pure monk and they´r great, but i still want´s to know if its possible to make a 30monk/10WM with the unarmed strike.

Try this great game now!
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:15 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I don't see why not. Unamed can be take as a weapons focus, and improved critical, so ... why not?

It would be hard as a monk due to the the odd feat requirments as WM, but w/ 30 levels of monk to play with should be no issue.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:04 pm
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

good, but should I take the wm levels early in the game or after i reach lvl30?

Try this great game now!
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:01 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next