Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How far can I go without training anything?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Bloodthirst
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How far can I go without training anything?

Hello friends,

The first time I played through 'Gothic' was close to four or five years ago. I played it then, just to beat it, and really enjoyed it. I recently had the urge to re-install the game, and play through it again; only this time, I would like to create a 'save-point' where I can reload and play as different classes.

My question is, how far can you go, while staying within chapter one, and not spend any training points? My character has reached level 10 through questing and killing monsters, but i'm really starting to strugle. I'm having a difficult time killing snappers Orc Dogs, and the more difficult 'beginning' creatures.

I remember the last time I played, I was able to kill Shadow Beasts while still in Chapter One. Money is also difficult to come by since I still don't know how to take trophies, other than a Bloodflie's stinger.

Since it has been so long since I have played, I have forgotten many things.

If I do train the hunting skills, will I have enough training points, later on, to max out my combat skills and attributes as well?
Post Sun May 07, 2006 9:38 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

*ATTENTION* -SOME GAMEPLAY SPOILERS.

>

>

Hello Bloodthirst.
This subject is close to my heart it has many possibilites! - please let me know how you fair until no more further advancement is possible.

Re:
If I do train the hunting skills, will I have enough training points, later on, to max out my combat skills and attributes as well? (a)...Yes more than enough as you "progress"

Go as far as possible in chapter-1 as long as you don't speak with Gomez (*trigger* "does that mean i'm in") then Raven re: go to sect camp, as then Lester will speak as you approach resulting in chapter-2 change.

Yes, you can kill all shadowbeasts and all skeletons in the fogtower (and the mage) - bloodhounds even harpies with no detriment to storyline but there is no real point to withholding training, there is no substitute for weapon training, it out-performs level increase of dex' + str' because of the multipliers. You will realise this is where the bow only skill comes in but arrows will soon run-out.

Exchanging exp' and ore after talking to Ratford and Drax, or Aiden will learn you "exploitation of prey" skills.

Try not to deplete all money sources (leave some ore available with traders which will multiply on chapter-change) - try this with the arrows!!

If you are going for maximum time-out, leave usually two of a species so as to enable best respawn rate *before chapter change* due to the "birds-and-bees" factor. this works even better if done "prior to a chapter change"

Orc dogs near river, stand in the shallow river and entice one at a time into the slightly deeper part, they cannot attack while floating, use arrows but weapon 25 to 30 minimum is needed an can be used with great effect in water.
Orc dogs in orclands, best using 'weapon-swing' left to right, they cannot usually get in. Some armour is dependant here.

See if you can complete all the >Saturas< focus stones quests in 1st chapter, they will hold their triggers till later.

Good luck.

Edited. (added >Saturas<)

Last edited by Wulf on Mon May 08, 2006 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon May 08, 2006 12:08 am
Bloodthirst
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you for the quick reply, Wulf.

Another question. Since this is going to be my second time through, I've let myself read the 'Walkthrough' by Jemy M; I'm usually a strict 'Do it myself' gamer, and don't bother looking at walkthrough's or cheats. But since this is going to be my second time through, I decided to give myself a little taste of what's to come (and see what I missed that first time around). While reading his walkthrough, I came across this:

" I would reccomend saving as many skillpoints you can during your journey through this part of the walkthrough. If you do, and then save before selecting your camp you will have a very nice save to continue on when you want to replay the game (testing other camps/classes) without having to remake the boring part. You should be able to do most of this with only spending about 10-20 skillpoints, or not even that..."

quote:

If I do train the hunting skills, will I have enough training points, later on, to max out my combat skills and attributes as well? (a)...Yes more than enough as you "progress"

Does this mean I don't really have to bother saving skill points?
The last time I beat the Sleeper (4+ years ago) I do remember, I was pretty strong; and capable of killing pretty much anything in the game (I remember gutting Gomez like a fish!).

If I want to create a 'Save Point' before I enter Chapter II, do I really need to save my skill points? Or can I train what I want, and try different classes (Warrior/Mage/Ranger) later on, without being at a disadvantage?

quote:

Try not to deplete all money sources (leave some ore available with traders which will multiply on chapter-change) - try this with the arrows!!

Very nice, do you happen to know the multiplier? x2? x3?

quote:

If you are going for maximum time-out, leave usually two of a species so as to enable best respawn rate *before chapter change* due to the "birds-and-bees" factor. this works even better if done "prior to a chapter change"

Hmm, I was under the impression that a number of mosters respawn anyway. So that number will increase if I keep more alive?

Thank you for your help.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 3:16 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

The following info is general enough that it should not spoil anything for anyone.

Bloodthirst,

I think what Wulf is getting at (Wulf, correct me if I'm wrong!) is you don't need to save ALL of your skill points for later. You should go ahead a spend points on general things like learning to take animal trophies, increase your Strength and Dex a bit (so you can use better weapons) and learn some weapons skills. Also think about Sneaking and Pocketpicking. These will all be useful to you no matter what camp you join or whether you will be a combat or magic oriented character later.

If you do wish to become a Fire Mage (or advance quickly in magic circles as a Sect novice), you will need lots of skill points to advance to higher circles, so budget accordingly. The walkthrough should tell you how much each circle costs.

As for money, you can forge swords to make extra cash -- as well as sell animal trophies.

If you're careful with your money, you can even bribe Thorus to let you into the castle. There you can steal enough good stuff to make up the bribe money right away -- if you're that kind of character.

You can actually get quite far before joining any camp. Also, people often think of Ch 2 as starting when you join a camp, but it is actually triggered by talking to Lester at the entrance to the Sect Camp (once you have joined a camp) that actually triggers Ch 2. So you can actually continue to do things in Ch 1 while belonging to a camp, as long as you keep your distance from Lester.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Mon May 08, 2006 5:17 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

My advice will be VERY general.

Since you are looking to create a savegame for future play throughs, try to save everything, talk to everyone, do every quest you can complete, and don't spend any skill points.

Spending a few skill points to progress your character a bit....let's say a melee character.....is normal enough. But realize the skill points you spend on a melee character does little to help a mage....so for a good savegame you want to save all you can. If you understand the game and how to play it you can spend nothing and clear everything in chapter 1. It's tough, but no foe is too tough if you understand how to approach the problem.

Wulf and imposteraz are not lying to you.....spending a few ponits to get strength to say....40 is not really wasted. But why not try to attack the game without spending anything? I can be done....you just have to figure out how

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 6:59 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

There is indeed as the forum buddies have explained, several intricate ways of playing and not just one way of achieving certain goals. I am still playing gothic differently after four and a half years.
Strangely, this is exactly where i am upto right now "maxing out" in ch-1. There are other methods that follow-on from this, such as the "maxing out" continuing through the other subsequent levels, very time consuming when playing over and over. Only by playing your own method will you know when maxing time arises....that's when to 'permanent' save.
When you go to the limit, when there are no beasts or opponents (optional)? left to kill and every plant and herb has been plucked - what then? - the decisions become deeper and needs more thought, the storyline keeps most things under control.
So, keeping some beasts ability to respawn will perpetuate the maxing-out time, in the extreme case chapter one will never exhaust in theory - (hunting indeed!) beasts can respawn without a chapter change if "not overkilled" and played slowly but ore cannot increase without a chapter change (hint: but re-distibution can be prolonged to a degree by careful management and will be most important for trading animal trophies) . . . so, trade as many trophies as possible, then reidistribute/disperse the maximum ore for goods, potions arrows, rings etc' between the various traders prior to chapter change, then whatch and take notes as the ore (and other stuff) max-multiplies on chapter change, see if spreading between all traders is different using just one or just a few. Huno, Graham and Viper etc' are all capable traders.

One very important issue and in no-way meant to be degrading - Jerome Kukier's walkthrough has many flaws and must not be taken as the "de-facto" standard gothic solution. It *was* one mans interpretation, it is good and helpful for "learning-the-ropes" for newbies.

In my honest opinion it is most questionable weather to continue the game holding onto unused exp' points, i can argue that it is a negative deterent as by having the exp' points being spent gives you that increase at the 'present' so then to help achieve the next gain distribution sooner, - - - obviously some skills need 20 exp' to learn. There is a very strong feeling that needs deep explanations (word of the gods) that gain-points must be used "as you go" so as to determine your character's defining path via decision-making through the game (it is being RECORDED)...!!! - to test pc-hero's worthiness but sadly overlooked by the majority of players.

Re: Very nice, do you happen to know the multiplier? x2? x3?
No, it seems there are some variables, it looks like a multiplier, not an addition, it obviously depends on disribution prior to chapter change, best positive ways it too take some "before and after" stats and do some calculations.

Re:Hmm, I was under the impression that a number of monsters respawn anyway. So that number will increase if I keep more alive?
...without any chapter change, i find, say in a group of five scavengers, killing three leaves two to multiply, killing all doesn't, also notice of how "Juvenile scavengers" emerge? - still not sure after all this time, phew!! what a game!

But yes, otherwise as Imposteraz and Uriziel suggest. One mans maxing method can be very different from anothers, it's your choice.
You can learn mana increase early-on before joining the mages, also be a low magic user mage dependent on high melee skills, a kind of battle-mage still wearing combat armour. All first increased guild status level characters (novice, shadow, rogue) can freely access the other camps until the old camp big-bang exclusion happens at Ch-4 change.

sorry for rambling, there is so much info.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:39 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Bloodthirst as you can see some of us are still very passionate about Gothic and how to play it. I took your question as you asking how to make the best savegame for future play.....not how to start developing a character down a certain path.

If you wish to purely make a nice savegame for future play, spending LP's does'nt make much sense......and assuming you know how to clear chapter 1, is it doable without spending a single point. If you find yourself in a position where spending LP's seems neccessary, then step back and re-think it. I promise you 100% of the foes can be killed if you find the way.

Some things to think about when you seem up against a terribly tough foe:
Did you use the terrain to your advantage?
Will someone help you?
Are you using the right weapon for that foe?

Each of those are very important

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue May 09, 2006 3:12 am
Grimmwulf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*SPOILERS CHAPTER ONE*

Regardless of which camp you plan on joining, you should do the betrayal quest for Lares. After Thorus has sent you to the old mine to get the list of supplies, turn the list in to Lares instead of Thorus. This will enable you to join the new camp, while you'll still be able to join the old camp though you betrayed them. They won't find out it was you for some reason. I believe there's a bit more XP in doing this as well.
Post Tue May 09, 2006 7:16 pm