Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Archery/Magic Targeting - one of my VERY few complaints....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
maethlini

Archery/Magic Targeting - one of my VERY few complaints....

Am I just doing something wrong here? If you target the crosshairs over an opponent, the arrow seems to shoot far to the left and below the crosshairs. For spells, they seem to fire out about 2 feet below where the crosshairs point. Basically I find myself having to compensate by just guessing where to shoot arrows/fireballs.

Why even use the crosshair at all?

Perhaps the projectiles really do go where the crosshairs are, but I doubt it, as I tend to miss things a LOT with both spells and arrows if I point crosshairs right on the target.

Most infuriating is rope "walls" Little rope bridges and borders seem to be considered solid steel walls by the game engine. Though you can clearly see a guy behind a flimsy rope, that rope will block murderous spell/arrow fire for 2 feet above/below the rope, basically it's the Magical Impenetrable Rope.

These quibbles aside (and the fact that there's no health indicator for enemies) - the game is beyond great. Damn near perfect.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 7:24 am

dtrexx

Isn't the targeting system in morrowind based on skills/attributes, rather than aim? Low skill could mean that you would miss alot.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 7:30 am

Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You think this is bad? Try Daggerfall. I'm just relieved spell casting isn't like in Daggerfall, so I that very minor problem goes un-noticed.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 8:36 am
Pesky Wabbit
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Magic I don't have trouble with the targetting of. Archery is tough. It's not that the arrow goes wide of the crosshairs, it does appear to but thats not the issue. I think it's just that you need a great archery skill to hit things at all, and the only time you improve your skill is when you hit something, so it improves slowly. I want to play an archer just to see if I'm right.

My current character has like a 22 in markmanship, and the only thing I can really hit is those big crabs, so every time I see one I whip out the old bow and shoot it. I put the crosshairs directly on the crab and often get one shot kills. To bad I cant hit anything else. The skill is increasing slowly but shooting at other monsters for me right now is just a waste of arrows, I can sit there and shoot 50 arrows at something and hit it once.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 10:50 am
Di
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, it's been a disappointment

My Wood Elf has a 55 in marksmanship... and she can't hit the broad side of a barn. What a disappointment, not to mention a waste of money and arrows, neither of which she can afford in abundance. Not only is she perpetually broke, but she's so weak with her 30 strength that if you hand her 100 arrows, she's too encumbered to move. And it takes her 100 arrows to hit anything even once, LOL.

I think in their zeal to keep ranged weapons from becoming "powerful", they kept them from becoming useful. Bummer.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 1:49 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

If archery is confusing you, you may want to use arrows that have effects-flame, spark, etc. With these you get a much better idea of how often you hit. My marksman skill is like 30 or 32 using my "bound longbow", i hit about 1 every 4-5 arrows depending on distance to target.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 1:49 pm
maethlin

One out of 4/5??

Ugh, that's awful if it's true...

only one hit out of every 4/5 is atrocious for a level 40 skill. An equally skilled melee char will land most of his blows. Does this make the pure ranged character a gimp?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:01 pm

Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well i should have explained it better...(i was describing LONGGGGG range)

I normally only use arrows to pull from LONG distance.-(goofing around) The closer they get the better i hit. Example: Steam Machine guy-(forget name) I hit them 85% of the time ranging from 30feet to 100feet away.

I have also noticed when baddies are on top of you-(melee range), the bow gets slapped away alot.

It's not a bad skill at all, please don't take my example that way. Matter of fact the bow is funner to use than fireballs-IMHO. I throw so many fireballs they get boring...

My next character will be a bow and spear/hammer userm not sure yet.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:33 pm
HanshaSuro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Archery seems fine

I've been playing a Wood Elf archer, and have been very happy with the way archery has been dealt with. To my eye its set up such that your aim does matter, but so does your skill. So there've been plenty of times when I've put an arrow straight through the enemy and not have it hit. But I hit in good ratio to the level of the skill, and now I'm being well rewarded for my training. My advice to those who feel like they're missing too much is to check the wear on your bow. If your weapon is worn down, you'll start missing much more than you normally would.

Later,

"I read somewhere that in the last census, 1.6 percent of the population was not counted. How can they know that?"
-George Carlin
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:11 pm