View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Fl00der
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

TOEE & Other new CRPGs

Hi!

I have played now TOEE & Lionheart CRPGs. Those games doesn't have open-ended world. World like in Ultima, Arcanum, Divine Divinity or Gothic series. Secondly TOEE & Lionheart doesn't have interactive enviroments like in those games what I mentioned. I don't like the way how you must discover world in TOEE. Must talk to someone to open some place in world. That is too Linear.
Does anyone know is there coming soon Good CRPG which has interactive enviroments or/and Open-ended World or/and nonlinear CRPG. Is there already out some good CRPG ?
Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:35 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Sounds to me like Morrowind fits your needs very well.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:42 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I would try Divine Divinity. It has two chapters, but where you go and what you do in each one is up to you.

I definitely agree with you on TOEE it is entirely linear. I havent gotten too far, but so far as I know you have about six locations on the map and go visit them essentially in order. If you were evil you would visit them in a different order only.

Lionheart has more exploration. It works in sections but you can go whereever you want in the section.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:07 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Coming in the summer of 2004 is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost (see the topic I have in this section). It takes place in Chernobyl in the year 2006, twenty years after the nuclear disaster. It's open-ended to the point where someone else (an npc) can "beat the game" before you can, and like Morrowind, you can go on playing after the main storyline is finished! Check it out.

For a more recent RPG, you said you like Gothic, so why not check out Gothic 2. It's out in the U.K. and is coming to the U.S. on October 28 of this year.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:31 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Wait for the Riftrunner. It will release in 25 November 2003.(I hope) An expansion to Divine Divinity; but it is a stand alone game and looks like more promising than an expansion. Another one is Golden Land. I do not know when the english version of the game will be in stores. It released in Russia and i think it will be worth to buy. From the interviews that i red so far; both games wil give the players an open-ended story and enormous world.
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:37 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I forgot to mention Knights Of The Old Republic. Lucky Xbox gamers are playing the game now, and we, the PC gamers, wait for it. Xbox version of the game has taken very high scores from the gaming sites. It includes large world (worlds , because it's a Star Wars game) and interactive environment. I think (and hope) it will release for the PC in the late of 2003.
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:48 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I believe Riftrunner is likely to be very early 2004. I'm really looking forward to it.
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:12 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Oh, I really look forward to Riftrunner, it promises a great story, some good role-playing, and some ugly grafics; SW Knights of the Old Republik - it promises some good grafiks, some great game play, and some-what mediocre role-playing, the next expansion for the NewerWinter Nights, which will be more challenging, maybe the new Chineese game, Seeds of Evil
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:40 am
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If (and only if) Deus Ex 2: Invisible War turns out to be as RPG-like as its predecessor, then you have another top title coming your way that fills those criterias. Deus Ex is different in the way that it combines the action of a FPS with the character building of an RPG. The story in Deus Ex was also very strong and the world was quite large, but not compared to Morrowind or anything. With a little luck Deus Ex 2 will bring the same elements back again but with an expanded world and an even greater story.
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:53 am