The game's name in the press...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

The game's name in the press...

We know that the name is bad, and we also know that we can't do anything about it anymore.
Alas, and I can't but see it everywhere!

Just recently there was (still is) a thread in the csipg.rpg newsgroup - most of the comments are like this:
quote:
>> That's the worst title ever.
>LMAO. No kidding man, I was just about to post the same thing. It has
got to be a Euro game or something.

Sad and true...

So, here is my humble request: Don't use the full name. Never ever. Just "Divinity" is enough and it's even a relatively good title. No redundancy.
Please, RPGdot people and news reporters, and all who read this, please don't use the double-d thingy unless absolutely necessary, like in quotes or so.

The full name makes me sick, all those honest players out there bitching about the title and making fun of it.. knowing that they are right...and with the upcoming demo release there's just no way to escape it!

Thank you...

Arhu
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:15 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It is a little redundant. I mean, what else would it be? Mortal Mortality?

I'm in favor of them just calling it Divinity. But I think that name was taken or something... I may be mistaken.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:40 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

And why it is are why are you saying that it is so bad name? I like it (but probably I have no good taste).
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:50 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Well the name can not be helped and as it is the name of the game it's entered as such in the database. Because of that it will pop up everywhere as a header or title as those are automated.
We'll not change the title in the database, but there is no and will not be any policy at RPGDot as far as using which name in our own writings. Every editor at RPGDot has to make up his or her own mind about this issue.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:28 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Well, I always use "Divinity" in the headline and write down the full title in the body. I think it could be misleading for some people who don't stop by here often if we don't mention the full title. "Divinity" and "Divine Divinity" could be mistaken for being two separate games by casual visitors.
I think everyone at RPGDot is trying to support Divinity because we like the folks at Larian Studios and because we feel that Divinity has tremendous potential of delivering a lasting fun RPG experience.
I don't think it would help them if we never spell out the full title. "Divine Divinity" has (unfortunately) become a brand name which is/will be used by all officials (Larian, CDV) to increase the game's popularity. It won't help anybody if we add to the confusion by using only a part of the title.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:05 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I don't think it's a BAD name... I just think that it's a redundant name (likely a result of translation perhaps). There's no need for both divine and divinity. I would feel the same way if other games took similar title conventions.

Ultimate Ultima
Fantastic Fantasy
Miraculous Miracles
Wonderful Wonders
Magic Mages
Barbaric Barbarians
Titanic Titans
Brutal Brutality
Enlightened Enlightenment
Diabolic Diablo

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:17 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

No, Xen. Has nothing to do with translation. The game has been developed in English from the very beginning. It was originally titled "Divinity: The Sword of Lies". When Larian signed the publishing contract with CDV, it was renamed to "Divine Divinity" by CDV for "marketing reasons". It seems like noone was or is happy with the new name except for a couple of people at CDV.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:39 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I think it's ONE person who invented it and really likes it and is very high up the ladder at CDV. As such there are most likely several other awho are a few steps below that on the same ladder who claim they like it too
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:41 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Perhaps someone can talk some sense into them. But probably not. A game's title USUALLY doesn't have much to do with selling a game to me...but I admit, I passed up Betrayal at Krondor because I thought the box was ugly and didn't like the name.

Well... I guess good press is all they can hope for. Let's judge the game fairly, hope its good, and spread the word.

Divinity: Sword of Lies wasn't a bad name... oh well. Marketers. They're whacky.

Post Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:14 pm

In the south they make a candy called divinity. I have heard people say. 'Dear, this divinity is just divine..' use your Scarlet O' Hara voice.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 9:32 pm

Iphigenie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, it's a name that doesnt sound all that good in english.

It's that kind of "english as a foreign language" usage - the kind you see on billboards or brand names when travelling in Italy or Germany or France, and that makes you cringe if you're english speaking but sounds perfectly all right to even fluent locals.

But honestly, so what? If you look at your games collection there probably are many games with stupid names. Except they don't sound stupid anymore because we got used to it. The first 20 times you read the name you go "ugh" but a little less every time.

I was too young but I can imagine what the Star Wars fans must have thought when they heard that the sequel would be called "the empire strikes back". That's not a proper film name, it's cheesy, it's stupid. Does it sound stupid now? No because the film came out, people got used to it. Now you have to make a mental effort to think of the title separately.

Reviewers criticised Gothic for its title, they'll criticise div. Divinity for it's title. Then they'll get used to it.
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:58 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

i don't care what title or name used for games; the most important is the games are good in gameplay, story & all - not about its name. Heck i even buy a game with wrong spelling in title or most stupid title in the world as long as it's a very good game!
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:49 pm
mikelhall
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Is it really any worse than Might and Magic 9, or Ultima 9, or Wizardry 8. There are a lot of GOOD games out there without epic titles. I think Divinity's gameplay will speak for itself. Many of my friends in the US are eager to play..

=Member of the Worshipers of the Written Word=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Non-Flamer's Guild=
=Member of the Followers of Righteousness=
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:58 am