Ultima X: Odyssey Interview @AVault
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Ultima X: Odyssey Interview @AVault

Adrenaline Vault has posted an <a href="http://www.avault.com/articles/getarticle.asp?name=uxo" target="_blank">interview</a> with Ultima X: Odyssey Producer, Rick Hall about this project:<blockquote><em>What are some of the biggest lessons learned from Ultima Online that helped in the development of Ultima X?
<br>
<br>Aside from learning lots of lessons about infrastructure, the biggest lessons involved how people play the game. MMORPGs are very different from standalone titles. People want an experience that lasts longer, yet at the same time allows them to make progress quickly and gives them a feeling of accomplishment. They want to be able to play in groups when they want to, and by themselves when they want to. They want lots of things to do, but don’t want to have to study for hours to figure out how to do them. They want to be able to compete against other players but not be victimized by them.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:31 pm
Greymane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

This sounds very promising!
Given the popularity of the Ultima series of games with this group, I'm surprised there isn't more comment here.
The one thing I don't see happening real well with this concept, is variety in the online community that will make up the game world. It looks like everyone will be engaged in combat using either blade or magic, to build up their particular virtue's power, and I'm assuming.. allowing them to master that virtue and add another one.
I really liked a lot of the UO world's variety in letting some just become fishermen, or woodsmen or blacksmiths, and opening up their own shops.
Walking into a bustling village of people, all scurring about earning a living and discussing matters from heroic to mundane is something all role players want to see in a game. I hope this new version of UO isn't sterilized into a levelling game.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:39 pm
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

At this point, I'm just going to get the first of EQ2, WoW, or UX that comes out, and I'm going to stick with it for the long haul.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:56 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

There's been alot of threads on UXO in other forums on the site. This is definitely one of the more detailed previews i've seen posted so far. I'm glad that they're incorporating a leveling system for weapons and armor(?). I think it's going to give the character more uniqueness if theres an experience investment in the items they have. very cool idea.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:25 pm