HoMM 5: Updated Preview @ GameSpy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

HoMM 5: Updated Preview @ GameSpy

Some updated <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/heroes-of-might-magic-5/703549p1.html" target="_blank">impressions</a> of HoMMV are available at GameSpy as we count down to release<blockquote><em>The basic design of Heroes V is actually similar to that of the best game in the series: Heroes of Might and Magic III. It's a testament to the brilliance of that game that the design still holds up so well, six years after its release. Fans of the series should be able to jump right in and start building armies and buying heroes within a matter of minutes. In fact, the game uses many of the same creatures from the old game -- from peasants to hydras, the gang's all here.</em></blockquote>
Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:24 pm
Provok
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I do not think that HOMM III was the best, the second version was far more attractive and fun. The extension from 5 to 7 creatures in an army made the game way too complicated. It already was complicated, but with a limit that made the amazing and surprising strategies far more possibile. HOMM III complexity made it more susceptible to stereotype strategies that practicly could kill inventivity.

Regarding the fifth version, I seriously hope the graphics do not ruin the game (as in an impossible camera). Hope Nival will make a great game that will bring back the old school in us, and not make it too complicated.

Amaze me, guys!
Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:55 pm

Personally I'm extremely happy with what I saw in the demo. Great units, good abilities and lots of specializations with the heroes to make different armies unique. I hear from the forums that especially the Necro faction appearantly is underpowered, but the Haven Vs uhhh Demon-thingie in the demo seemed very balanced to me - just very different tactics (which is good!). AI was ok - nothing exceptional, but quite ok.

Graphics are cool - nice cartoony feel that I personally like (very Etherlords...), but didn't detract at all to the experience. Just took a little time to figure out that the horse-shaped movement cursor clicks with the head of the horse - missed a lot of moves by running circles round stuff till I figured it out

I'm definately picking this up. Loved all the Heroes games up to 4, which I honestly thought was horrid... this is back on track for me (based on the 2-faction demo, of course)
Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:32 pm

niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I did in fact think H3 was the best of the series, not so much because of the game mechanics (which I did still like) but because of the AI, which while not great was still respectable. H2 suffered from a very poor AI which in my opinion diminished the game. Ultimately though they were both very good games. I had high hopes for H4 and wanted to like it. But it the end I thought it was a failure.

H5 looks very promising. I have a few balance concerns (but that's been true of every version) but other then that it looks like it could be a classic.
Post Mon May 01, 2006 1:01 am