Playing Gothic 2 in First Person
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Playing Gothic 2 in First Person

Does anyone play Gothic in First Person? If so what is your opinion...

I played a lot in FP this past weekend (except for fighting) and the first thing that hit me was that you really can?t see anything while walking in the woods. The local flora seems to grow to 4? to 5? in height. It does give you more control while walk?n through the mountains or on walls and roofs. I saw a post about an .ini edit that sets up FP for fighting. I am going to try it this week and see how it goes.
Another thing I noticed is that it gives the game a whole new feel. You can only see what?s ahead of you in FP and visibility greatly depends on terrain. You can?t see around corners or what might be attacking from the rear and the sound effects drive you crazy. I played Gothic 2 for the first time in the 5.1 format (just got a set of 5.1 headphones from Sony) and it makes the game kind of creepy. You can hear critters roaming around and even tell what direction the sounds are coming from but it?s very hard to see them.
I got the !@$% scared out of me last night. I got caught in the woods at night and started to hear goblins squawk?n in front of me and came upon a grave yard (very creepy with the fog and all). The next thing I know I?m knee deep in screaming little maniacs trying to beat me to a pulp. There I am running around in the fog in the dark fending off little demons you can hardly see? what an adrenalin rush.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:01 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Title changed.
*bump*
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:33 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I guess the FP was confusing…I edited the .ini file yesterday to remain in FP during battle. Much better…IMHO. The timing of the fight becomes more natural and when using a ranged weapon you get a better ‘line of sight’ to make sure no obstructions are between you and your opponent. I know one thing…running through the woods in FP will get you in trouble fast.

Sylvio
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:29 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I only used FP when I was searching for potions and stuff under trees. In 3rd person you miss many secrets.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:26 pm